Just For Hyper Pots People

kayjay

Hi all I was put on Lexapro (ssri) by the my local doctor who thought I might have POTS before I went to Mayo. Mayo did not want to change my meds at that time but I would love to know can hyper pots people take SNRI? I want to try something else but don't want to cause trouble for myself.

I can suggest meds to my Doctor but want to check with all of you first. What do you think?

As always thanks!

Hi all I was put on Lexapro (ssri) by the my local doctor who thought I might have POTS before I went to Mayo. Mayo did not want to change my meds at that time but I would love to know can hyper pots people take SNRI? I want to try something else but don't want to cause trouble for myself.

I can suggest meds to my Doctor but want to check with all of you first. What do you think?

As always thanks!

I'm on cymbalta 90mg.

I'm on Effexor XR 75 mg. to raise norepinephrin and increase circulation, and balance brain chemicals. I am also on Yohimbin to increase peripheral blood flow which helps alot!! I am more recently on spuedoephedrine 12 hr. which increases norepinephrine also.

Meds can be so complicated!

Smiles

I'm on Effexor XR 75 mg. to raise norepinephrin and increase circulation, and balance brain chemicals. I am also on Yohimbin to increase peripheral blood flow which helps alot!! I am more recently on spuedoephedrine 12 hr. which increases norepinephrine also.

Meds can be so complicated!

Smiles

Surprising that Mayo talked to you about Hyperadrenergic POTS since they released a study recently that suggested that hyperadrenergic presentations were just another form of the same thing - which they believe is usually an autoimmune process.

There is concern about SNRIs with hyper POTS because in principle these patients may already have impaired or perhaps nonexistant norepinephrine reuptake as their principle problem. It may however have a paradoxical reaction where it lowers sympathetic outflow rather than further worsening it - but in some POTS patients Vandy state that SNRIs made them MUCH worse.

Finally heard back from Mayo and on their advice I started Cybalta last night. I also have fibromyalgia and it is supposed to be good for that.

with that said I have such a strong hyper presentation that 3 times I had positive urine tests for Pheochomacytoma.

I have my heat monitor on. My blood pressure cuff nearby. I was willing to try b/c the side effects of lexapro have been rough and I am hoping cymbalta will replace Lyrica and Lexapro.

I am a little jittery but I think it could be mental worry. I don't get the fact that this drug is either strongly not recommended or of highly recommended. We shall see-

I did well on a very low dose of an ssri which initially was Celexa, and later was Lexapro. Dr. Grubb suggested that the low dose of the ssri helps to calm the central nervous system a bit, evening out my surges of catecholamines.

Nina

Hi kayjay - I've been on a super-low dose of cymbalta for a year now with no interference. I don't think it helps or hinders my pots symptoms (but does help my depression!). Antidepressants are so insanely individual... can't hurt to give it a shot. :blink: good luck with it

dizzyde

I do not know that I have hyper, but I have a lot of "hyper" like symptoms. I can say that when I took my first "starting" dose of Effexor, I was sure I was going to die. For over eight hours, my heart rate was around 220, my blood pressure was extremely high, and I was in a pure terror of a panic. It was honestly the worst experience of my whole life. I have since learned what a hard time people can have weaning off Effexor, so I am actually glad that I did not tolerate it. But I can say that never, ever again will I take anything that intends to raise norepinephrine.

Not saying this is the case for anyone else, as obviously others tolerate really well. But I sure hope no one else goes through what I did, so I would encourage anyone considering taking a SNRI/SSRI for the first time to do so as slowly and cautiously as possible if you are sensitive to norepinephrine.