Been Away From Forum For A Few Weeks

maggie

On Friday 24 I noticed not feeling well after eating a snack. By Tuesday morning I was so sick I called my husbsnd. While putting on my heart monitor I noticed I looked like I was four months pregregant, couldln,t be, so I called my neuro. He stated that this could have nothing to do with pots get to the ER. They got me right in and did a ct scan. I had a partially blocked colon,but the Dr. weren't sure where. They put me on a liquid diet to see if it would open up, no luck. OnFriday morning the Dr. did orthoscoptick surgery and found my appendicts had ruptured and gangrene had set in. They proceded to take out 4 inches of my colon and now I'm at home recuperating with my daughter. My Hospital stay was 15 days, and they estimate my recoperation to take @ 9 weeks. I can't believe how far back this has set me.

Maggie

Maggie i m so sorry to hear that.It must have been a shock.I don't understand how a ruptured apendicitis affected your colon.I've heard that rupture involves severe pains in the abdomen area.Did it all happen the same day or you felt unwell for a while?

How are you coping with dysautonomic crises after surgery?are they really bad?

Many wishes for a speedy recovery.take care

Maggie -

I am so sorry you are going through this. I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I had some pain one night, thought it was the flu, went to the doctor who thought the same. And 10 days later, I found myself in emergency surgery. I had lived with a ruptured appendix for at least 10 days and had both peritonitis and septicemia (spelling?). They also took out 50% of my large bowel. Stayed in ICU quarantine for another 11 days which included a blood transfusion. It was quite an ordeal. The doctors felt that for me, the dysautonomia neural issues masked the normal pain receptors for a ruptured appendix, which is why it wasn't diagnosed at the onset. I should have died but survived due to the wonderful care of physicians and nurses. And I was alone in the hospital (husband died of accident 3 years earlier). At any rate, I just want to encourage you. Afterwards, I had some large bowel flatulence (ahhhhhh!) for a little while until my body got used to the absence. But I did recover and air quality around here improved as well. Take it slowly. You're body knows what to do. I chose to enjoy a more fluid diet and avoid "difficult" colon foods for a while until all was restored - which did happen. The most difficult obstacle was getting over the discomfort of the incision which was on the midline and over 7" - really don't know what they did down there but that recovery was the toughest. I hope your incision was more modest!

You've been through a lot. It's so unusual to survive when the appendix is ruptured long before it is removed. But alas, I did and now you have! God is so good. I'm so glad you have come through. You have indeed been blessed. Cherish this wonderful gift you've been given - restored life - and I hope you and your daughter become even closer through this recovery time.

With love -

Cathy

What a nightmare! I'm so glad you're finally out of the hospital and recuperating at home. Best wishes for a speedy and as painless-as-possible recovery time. Take good care of yourself, and let your daughter take good care of you, too. I'm thinking of you and will include you in my prayers.

Maggie,

I'm so happy you survived this. I'll pray for a speedy recovery, and as little pain as possible for you.

I can't imagine how this must have been for you.

I wonder if your colon shut down when you appendix ruptured, and this might have been what saved you. This could have caused it to appear as a blockage, as everything probably just sat there.

Wow, what a miracle for you Maggie.

Maxine :0)

I had to answer this post. Several years ago (before I had POTS) I had excruciating pain and went to the ER. They did all sorts of tests but couldn't find out what was wrong with me. They finally decided it was "female problems", gave me pain medication and sent me home. Over the next 5 months I was in and out of the hospital with pain and a mystery illness that caused fever and a low blood count. I had many rounds of IV antibiotics. I went to many dr.s and none could figure it out. My heart began to race and I was in the hospital many times for a racing heart but they couldn't find anything wrong with my heart. Finally, I went to a gynocologist who said I had a large ovarian cyst and I had surgery to have it removed.

Well, guess what they found when they cut me open? I had a gangreene, abcessed appendix that I had been carrying around for months. I believe if I hadn't had the IV antibiotics to help "seal off" the appendix I would not be here. I thought my heart would go back to normal after the surgery, but the rest, as they say, is history. I've had POTS ever since. The doctors won't admit it but I know that is what triggered my POTS.

I m so greatful to those who have resonded to my post. I really appreciate what my family has all helped out with. I still really can t believe all this took place espcially having to add pots into the mixure. Thanks for all the advice and care. It will still take me 9 more weeks to recoperate, thank goodness for daughters.

Maggie