Allergies Cause Neurological Symptoms

gertie

Do all of you have problems with allergies causing heart palps, fainting? I know brain fog is a symptom a lot of us have in common. I've noticed over the years when I eat 7 or 8 almonds I almost immediately get palps & feel drugged. Sometimes it takes 48 hrs to get back to normal.

Another thing I find really weird is, if I use a small pea size amt of bio-identical estrogen for as little as 2 or3 days I get very sleepy & end up with most horrible migraine & sometime seizure. My PCP says it's impossible for my body to absorb enough estrogen from that small amt to cause any reaction. I would agree with him if I wasn't having the reaction. That just a couple of many allergic reactions I have. Do any of you have these weird allergies? Thanks.

Yesss. After even a crumb of gluten or an ounce of dairy, I will be out for the count for at least three days.

I also tried bioidentical hormones (mine was progesterone) and felt like I took a xanax and drank NiQuil for dessert. I never had these reactions before POTS. I would eat a loaf of bread for dinner three years ago, but all of the sudden I'm gluten intolerant. ThANK YOU pots

I just try my best to avoid any triggers that I'm aware of. Every now and then I'll find a new one.. it's a process.

You're not alone, I promise.

Estrogen can most definitely cause migraines! Current studies suggest that you need a time of "estrogen-priming" before a drop to cause a migraine. If your body's estrogen is low and near that threshold, it wouldn't take much of a drop to trigger a migraine. My OB/GYN has me on constant estrogen to keep it above that threshold for migraine. The female brain doesn't work correctly without estrogen, so you will get neurological symptoms with the fluctuations in levels.

Allergies/histamine also have potent effects on the nervous system. If you are allergic to something, your body will release histamine that dilates your blood vessels. Epinephrine counteracts the histamine by constricting blood vessels.

Unfortunately, ANS is regulated and highly sensitive to both histamine and estrogen. <_<

Alicia,

Very definitely. It doesn't take much for me to really react to a known allergen or drug, and I wouldn't go along with your doctor's assessment that the estrogen is not causing your increased symptoms. A lot of us are super sensitive to meds.

cheers,

jana

When you talk about estrogen is that different than birth control pills?

I have had horrible reactions (as is go to the hospital as well as migraines) to some birth control pills but I am on one now that is not causing me any trouble (Mayo clinic not my ob/gyn prescribed it) You may do better on something else.

There are several "types" of estrogen, both in your body and drug-wise. My body did not do well on synthetic Estradiol, but has done well with congugated estrogens. Birth control pills are usually a mix of a type of estrogen and progesterone. Each one is slightly different in proportion. Hormone replacement is also another type of estrogen. All of these can and will fluctuate and cross-react with everything else in your system. I happen to KNOW (through way too many blood tests) that my estradiol levels are low, almost menopausal. I always had migraines on day four of my cycle, when those levels were lowest. So for me the drop was a trigger.

Alicia,

You're talking about an estrogen cream, right? Not BC pills?

No, Any estrogen. It is all differing formulas or types of estrogen. Some are synthetic estrogens, some are "natural" estrogens made from pregnant horse urine, some are one specific estrogen (estradiol) and some are a mix of the several different types of estrogen in the body. Pill or cream, it is all different depending on the use and the brand! Back when I needed birth control, I went through five different brands and strengths of BCPs till I found one I could tolerate, all had different formulas. Certain estrogens my body can absorb and use and some it just won't. Hormone levels are a very personal thing, what is low for one is too high for another. It takes some trial and error to find an estrogen or combo that you can tolerate if you need one. Your body may absorb and estrogen cream, but not a pill of the same thing!

From Wikipedia:

Medical applications

Oral contraceptives

Since estrogen circulating in the blood can negatively feed-back to reduce circulating levels of FSH and LH, most oral contraceptives contain a synthetic estrogen, along with a synthetic progestin. Even in men, the major hormone involved in LH feedback is estradiol, not testosterone.

Hormone replacement therapy

As more fully discussed in the article on Hormone replacement therapy, estrogen and other hormones are given to postmenopausal women in order to prevent osteoporosis as well as treat the symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, urinary stress incontinence, chilly sensations, dizziness, fatigue, irritability, and sweating. Fractures of the spine, wrist, and hips decrease by 50-70% and spinal bone density increases by ~5% in those women treated with estrogen within 3 years of the onset of menopause and for 5?10 years thereafter.

Before the specific dangers of conjugated equine estrogens were well understood, standard therapy was 0.625 mg/day of conjugated equine estrogens (such as Premarin). There are, however, risks associated with conjugated equine estrogen therapy. Among the older postmenopausal women studied as part of the Women's Health Initiative (WHI), an orally-administered conjugated equine estrogen supplement was found to be associated with an increased risk of dangerous blood clotting. The WHI studies used one type of estrogen supplement, a high oral dose of conjugated equine estrogens (Premarin alone and with medroxyprogesterone acetate as PremPro).[19]

In a study by the NIH, esterified estrogens were not proven to pose the same risks to health as conjugated equine estrogens. Hormone replacement therapy has favorable effects on serum cholesterol levels, and when initiated immediately upon menopause may reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease, although this hypothesis has yet to be tested in randomized trials. Estrogen appears to have a protector effect on atherosclerosis : it lowers LDL and triglycerides, it raises HDL levels and has endothelial vasodilatation properties plus an anti-inflammatory component.

Research is underway to determine if risks of estrogen supplement use are the same for all methods of delivery. In particular, estrogen applied topically may have a different spectrum of side-effects than when administered orally,[20] and transdermal oestrogens do not affect clotting as they are absorbed directly into the systemic circulation, avoiding first-pass metabolism in the liver. This route of administration is thus preferred in women with a history of thrombo-embolic disease.

Estrogen is also used in the therapy of vaginal atrophy, hypoestrogenism (as a result of hypogonadism, castration, or primary ovarian failure), amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, and oligomenorrhea. Estrogens can also be used to suppress lactation after child birth.

Edited by firewatcher