Can Anyone Help?

ana_22

i remember reading some foods are high in a cretain 'something' and that can cause palps...its not msg that im thinking of its something else. i think chicken contains it?

anyway i cant find the info and want to read more into it as i think chicken is giving me palps!!! and i remember when i was reading about this a while ago chicken was on the list.

i hope i make sense as im having a bad bad day

I'm not sure what thing was mentioned before, but I know of a few things that definitely make POTS symptoms worse after eating:

Refined sugar

Chocolate

Caffeine

Carbs with a high glycemic index (pasta, bread, white potatoes, etc...)

Dairy products

Any foods that you are allergic or sensitive to

Maybe keeping a journal would help? Write down what you eat and then evaluate your heart rate an hour later to see how you react- maybe you can find a pattern. And look into what you ate WITH the chicken- maybe it was chicken with cheese and flour in the dish and that's what you're reacting to? Investigating food is a good idea- it's helped me a lot with symptom management in the past.

Ana,

I think the "thing" you are searching for is histamine. Yes, some folks are very sensitive to histamine in their diet. Their are some foods that are very high in histamine, like some seafoods, etc. But, I think ethansmom is right, ANY food you are either allergic to or sensitive to can cause your body to make excess histamine, which is a powerful vasodilator. It can cause your blood vessels to leak out, making BP low and HR high to compensate.

Google "Low-Histamine Diet" to find foods that are safe. BTW, chicken, apparently, is quite high in histamine. And, all foods get more histamine as they sit in your fridge. The fresher- the less histamines. Left-overs are best avoided if you are sensitive to histamine.

To check if that's what's going on, take an OTC antihistamine, like zyrtec, (during a reaction) to see if that makes you feel better. Let us know what you find out.

Julie