Hercules

mindylee1

I just have to tell this story to put a smile on some faces out there.

We have a dog named Hercules. He is a three year old Boston Bulldog. Lately I have not been feeling so well. Hercules knows when I don't feel good because he will not leave my side. Usually he goes about the house minding his own business..sleeps where he wants..ect. Well it's so funny how they know things and can sense illness. When I am sick he will lay by my side and give me kisses or snuggle on me. I think it the sweetest and most amazing thing in the world. Does anyone else experience this with your pets?? If you don't have a pet you might want to consider it. It has been very theraputic for me. He brings me so much joy and always makes me smile.

Mindy ;)

Mindy

I so agree that pets are wonderful companions particuarly when we are ill. I am glad you have Hercules. My dog Mango (a black lab mix) who died several years ago was wonderful at sensing my emotions and my health. When I went through a difficult period with POTS (undiagnosed then) he almost never left my side. The dogs I have now are nice companions, but not as empathetic.

Katherine

Guest Julia59

My Dog India is the best............She is a little pomeranian----orange/sable. I got her in 1999 about a year before my health crashed. I was able to enjoy long walks with her before the POTS. I still walk her-------just only a few blocks.

She was a God send to me when I was really sick, and still is on my bad days, and my good. She is a constant entertainment. She fetches her toys, does amazing tricks---like i'll tell her to do a circle---and she spins around in a circle, shakes hands, high five's, jumps though the hoop, speaks, and will lay down. When my friend was in a nursing home I took her every time. I would put India right in the bed with her and India would stay and comfort her.

India also entertained the many patients, and the staff with all her tricks. India also senses when i'm not having a good day and it is amazing---she just hangs around until she feels it's safe to leave my side. My Cats are also one of the joys of my life. Samantha----and the new guy-------------Spencer. He is qite a joker---and clumsey.........................: :o ---but another constant entertainment. He's gray and white----very cute, but getting fat. All he wants to do is eat.

Poor Samantha, she is so sweet, and he's constantly jumping on her wanting to play. She's also gray long haired with an abnormally short tail, because toddlers lived where she was a kitten. They broke her tail and stunted the growth. And Spencer has an abnormally long tail. She is older and still like's to play, but he is young and wants to all the time. I rescue her all the time from him--------and wouldn't you know it---he's doing it again as I type this. Funny, Funny Boy. And he will lay on his back sprawled out to the world. He will also fetch this favorite toy of his, a small dog stuffed with cat nip. He will fetch it until he falls over with exhaustion.

Samantha was so loyal to my old cat Maxine who just passed away a while back. Maxine would hide as she knew she was dying---and Samantha sat by her side until we took her and had her gently put to sleep as we could no longer watch her suffer. She was 16-----and the poor girl was too sick to save. They said it looked like she had a major stroke---as she could no longer walk, and she was in a lot of pain. Samantha looked for her for days until she finally figured it out. Although Spencer jumped on Samantha wanting to play all the time----he sensed Maxine was not well and he never jumped on her once. It is amazing---he just knew.

Julie :0)

I have had the same experience with our dog. Pets are wonderful at picking up on how we are feeling. One day, when I was feeling pretty decent, she would not leave my side....just like when I am in a setback...so, I just looked at her and asked, "what do YOU know that I don't?!"

:P Hi -As I am sitting here typing this, I am trying to see around my cat Shtinky who is sitting in front of my computer screen. He is 10 years old and loves me, whether I am sick or well. He sits on my lap whenever he can while I am at the computer, I think he is trying to surf the net also. He is very shy and only hangs around me :o ,my husband even says we look alike - I figure as long as we don't smell alike(with a name like Shtinky, that wouldn't be a great thing :wub:;) )-My other cats names is Whiskers-She and Shtinky are great, they don't get along with each other, but both love me and I wouldn/t trade them for anything!!! Beth in NJ

Animals are my passion!!

I love my pets!! Two dogs, a kitty and a bunny!!! My daughter just had a bout with the flu, first time my cocker has left my side in 6 months!! He was beside himself though, he kept running back and forth, like a little nurse. They are so smart, and talk about unconditional love!!! He even loves me on those god awful can't get in the shower, put on make-up, or fix your hair days!!! My kind of guy!!

Love your pets back!!

Sue

we have always had rescue animals. they tend to be a little more fragile. we got a dog named ellie that had no hip socket on one side and a bullet in the other. the bullet was imbedded in the muscle so they left it, but they removed the head of her femur and she formed a false socket. so no more pain. we had one we had to take to the university for knee surgery and a kitten that had asthma that was on 8 meds when we decided she had had enough. the list goes on. we put 6 babies to sleep in 4 years. it was ****. so we decided never to get anymore, as it was too hard to lose them. that lasted 2 months. we then got two cats, one a baby and one an adult. amanda weighs 20 pounds! what a monster. but very laid back. lovey immediately got some kitten crud and was in icu for 2 weeks or so. it took 2 months to save her and get her healthy. she is now doing great. then my sister bought me a westie, who is 8 weeks old. what a pill! into everything, pees everywhere and is as cute as can be. then last week my doctor told me he had to find a home for his dog, they couldn't keep him anymore. so we picked him up today. so we have 2 cats and 2 dogs. we just can't imagine our lives without animals, we have loved them all and truly mourn the ones we've lost. so now we have a chaotic houseful of children, plus i feed the birds and squirrels every day. that's my job now. i wouldn't want it any other way.... morgan

There have been days when my Oreo is the only thing that keeps me hanging on. We rescued him and Ginger along with their 2 sisters and other brother almost 6 years ago now. They were under our back porch step. The vet said they must've been just 6 weeks or so old. Me, being the very huggy sensative person I am, cuddled Oreo and held him so much so now he has developed being such a cat on his own. I'll be sitting typing at the computer and he'll just jump up and climb into my lap or around my shoulders and neck. He'll be waiting for me when I get home from school, and on the days when I am able to walk the 6 blocks between here and my high school plopping down on my bed right next to a lump under the covers can be the most magical comforting thing especially after a hard walk and strenuous day at school. Animals truly are a gift from above, I know my Oreo is.

Our kitty is Hector. Yes, he runs the house... But he's not, uh, as GRACEFUL as we all think a cat should be. He sometimes backs up and falls off the bed and so forth. Hubby says thats because he sleeps too close to me and it rubs off! (wonder which of us is catching the klutz flu and which is giving it??)

yup, can't live without my pooch!

who, at the moment hurt himself and is in so much pain he cries every time he moves....which is really distracting me from my own symptoms b/c i am busy worrying about him!

he is a wild child, rescue dog and i think he was meant to be mine b/c he always has some health challenge, just like me! poor little guy!

good night!

emily

Mytwo kitties keep my sane. Jeronimo (a girl, named for her huge leap off my shoulder and down 5 flights of the center of a spiral staircase) is sleeping right next to me as I type. She sleeps on me or next to me all night. Abbigail, my other kittty, typically lays with me on the couch, but lets Jeronimo (Jeri for short) have run of the bed at night. The year I spent at home, they were my constant companions.

:) Nina

Great topic!

My little Senegal parrot is soooo fun. She thinks I'm her mate and wants to be with me all the time, and begs to be scratched and cuddled. My husband wasn't thrilled when I said I wanted one nearly 6 years ago, but he has come to absolutely adore her, and misses her even more than I do if we're away from her. Kelly is quite a clown with her many tricks and the few things she says - we laugh at her all the time, and of course, laughter is the best medicine . . .

YAY! Another parrot owner! I was beginning to wonder whether I'm the only one! We have a green cheek conure named Jojo and she's just the sweetest, funniest, most affectionate bird in the world. She's equally bonded to my husband and me--and she's just a dream to be around. She's taught us some games and has kept us laughing for the last 7 years. (She laughs too...)

My dog ( Peanut) really helps on those days when I feel crappy. He isn't as sensitive to when I feel sick as my other dog who died last May was.

I think it's because he seems more attached to my husband. We adapted him as an older dog right before my other dog died. He's partially blind but you'd never know it.

GayleP

hey you parrot owners! i want to hear more about parrots...like how much work are they? are they all companionable? how long do they live? where do you get them? etc. etc. (and shhhhhhhhh....don't tell my mom i even asked this question! she about dies when i say i want a fish! :angry:) i have always wondered about birds.

so, we took asher to the vet today...and he is definitely MY dog....he has something maybe pinching in his neck, maybe a pinched nerve. so my mom has cervical stenosis, i have a possibly too narrow spinal column, and he has neck junk too! what is up with that? i guess God has a sense of humor huh? we were meant to be a family! i guess i thought you all could appreciate the comedy of it all. sick dog, sick me. you know, we are just two peas in a pod.

well, i must nap now from the trip to the vet.

i will dream about parrots. :D

later alligators! (no pet alligators out there, huh?)

emily

Emily,

Parrots can be very entertaining and quite cuddly, or very distant - it just depends on the bird. Various breeds will share basic personality traits, but like people or dogs or cats, each individual creature very definitely has its own way of dealing with the world.

I was raised with parakeets. Some were very humanlike and personable in their interactions, some were awesome talkers, others just sat there or only chirped. A few years back, my husband and I were given a cockatiel - we taught him to whistle about 20 songs and say a few words, and he loved to take a nap with or near me. My Senegal can be a problem with her screaming (we're working on reducing that) and did bite for a while, but she's so cute and funny and otherwise lovable that it makes it all worthwhile (kinda like children, I imagine).

The bigger the bird, the bigger the mess and the louder the noise - usually. Also, the longer the lifespan. Some of the very large birds can live more than 100 years! Most of our parakeets lived between 2 and 4 years, although we had one for 9 years. The larger birds (parrots, cockatoos) generally have the learning ability of a 3-yr-old and the temperament of a 2-yr-old!

Once you get past the purchase price plus the cage, perches, etc., they are quite inexpensive to maintain and rarely require any trips to the vet. But you definitely want to keep a DustBuster handy!

I would suggest visiting a bird shop often to spend time with the knowledgeable owners or employees, as well as playing with the birds. You'll find at least one breed that really draws you in. If you do decide to get one, do let us know!

I have a Meyers Parrot. He's not very big and will most likely outlive me but is such a sweety. He absolutly adores my mom and is warming up to the other members of my family. My caution is the amount of noise with getting a parrot. He can make a racket every now and then and my ears are overly sensitive :blink: When you do find a few species (or specific birds :angry:) you like research up on their species characteristics and keep us updated! Pets are wonderful companions, I know all of mine are my babies (no pun intended! my birds name is Baby :D)

Emily,

I also share ailments with my dogs. Right after I had brain surgery in 1995 to remove a benign tumor we found out our lab had a brain tumor. He actually did Ok with it for several years although it affected his gait.

Then he developed thyroid problems. Our schnauzer also developed thyroid problems. And then I became hyperthyroid. The 3 of us were on thyroid meds.

A few years ago the schnauzer got some weird neurological problems. He started seeing a dog neurologist who was a lot better than the human ones I have seen. He also was diagnosed with a heart murmer. I have mild neurological problems from the brain surgery and I also have a heart murmer.

Our new schnauzer apparently also has a heart murmer.

GayleP

gayle! you made me laugh! thanks! :angry:

opus! wow! thanks for typing all of that. i did dream about birds while napping :D.

i know i am just dreaming right now...i don't have energy to take care of anything else, more or less myself right now...but i am really glad that you posted that information b/c i would like to start learning and maybe try to visit a store that has birds...i am very interested!!! i love animals and the birds sound so fascinating. your post really helped me to know what to look for and where...so i can start learning...and someday...get a bird! :blink: i know it won't be anytime soon, but i have endless hope that i will have more energy someday...so opus, when that happens...i will be all ready to get a bird! thanks!

in some ways this topic seems "off topic," but in other ways...it seems PERFECT. our animals, especially for those of us with chronic illness, seem to be one of the most important healing and comforting aspects of our lives. i know that i cannot be without a dog...and he gets me through each day. we can learn a lot from them. my mom let us get the dog we have now precisely for the reason that she knew the value of an animal in my life when i am sick, even though she knew when i was really sick, she would have more work to do.

gayle, my boy dog as i call him, is not nearly as sensitive as our two previous "girl dogs' were...think it's a gender thing? oops, sorry. i shouldn't have said that.

off for dinner!

emily