Feeling A Bit Lost

Elfie

I am a senior this year and can graduate this spring, but may chose to continue for an additional semester or two and pick up one or two second majors. In my chosen field a masters' degree (or higher) is practically essential to achieve employment in the field. Everyone around me is preparing to apply for graduate school. For the first time in my life I am not sure of what to do. My first specialization interest within my field was made impossible by this illness and slowly my second one is being taken away. It is looking like my only option to stay in my field is to become a professor, which means getting a Ph.D. I am not sure that I could handle that level of coursework or the research thesis I would have to prepare. If I can't continue in my studies I would have to start over on a new degree path, back at the bachelor's level or try to find a job that doesn't have any specialization. Right now in my community there are no sit down jobs for people like me. I could work at walmart if standing all day doesn't kill me. I have lost a important relationship and most my friends because I am not "fun" anymore. Sorry for bugging you all, I just wanted to say that to someone.

hi...

dont say sorry, everyone needs someone to "bugg"... :P ... I think most people feel lost somthimes, and whit the extra stuff a cronic ilnes bring, well... I have felt lost, i feel lost, and i gess i whil kep feeling it... Ust have to try keep trying to find some sort of path to follow..

I did gett my self a bacholer deegre, put all my plans for futher education fell trhou because of this fun fun illnes.. All my plans to travell, to work etc... To gett new friends etc..

Insted i have lived most of my grownup life infront of the tv and in my home... losing my friends and stuff..

But i have a great boyfriend (when he is home, not travelling:))... And even thou i have very sad moments, periods of grieving, feel frustrated, lonly (so lonly at times) etc... I am also happy and happy...=)..

Elfie,

I commiserate with you. I did get the advance degree, before I got sick, and was very happily employed in my chosen field for about 3 years when I got sick. My work was pretty physical, so I ended up having to leave it entirely. I went back to school after my son started college to finish my degrees, so I was devastated that after all that time and work I could no longer do my job. I've thought about going back to school, but know that my health is not predictable enough to make classes regularly. Have you thought about taking some courses online? I know that it would isolate you from others, but at least you'd be working toward a goal and possible other career.

I've been trying to figure out how I can still do the work I love from home. I think we just have to be really creative and stubborn!

Cheers,

Jana

Elfie,

Everyone on this forum is going through similiar difficulties. I think it's the most difficult part of pots is how to gain a new perspective on life and what direction one is able to move to. We are so limited as to what we are capable of doing, it shuts out so many possibilities that once we were able to achieve. Being isolated because of our health does limit friendships, but don't let these struggles stop you. This forum is one way to let out your frustration, but it also is a place where one will be encouraged to dream again only in a different way. Don't let pots stop you in your tracks. Take time to grieve what you have lost, slowly start thinking of what you can do, and then set out to attain those dreams. It will take you longer, but I have learned to enjoy the journey and appreciate what I am able to do.

Maggie

Elfie,

I pray that you are one of the young adults that will recover and be able to have a life. Try to think positive and hang onto the HOPE and FAITH that brighter days will be ahead of you. Till then enjoy what kinds of things you can while in this potsie postition. Try something new, like a new hobby while flat on your back, as one day you may recover and have a new talent from this time you were given.

Just another way to look at the situation. I hope and wish you best. Use the power of positive thinking and prove to us that you can be a success story.

It's more of us older ones that seem to have a harder time recovering as many of us never knew what was wrong and got the wrong treatment for years doing more dammage to our bodies and puttting more stress on our alreadly overloaded hearts.

I pray we all get well and as janna always says.

Cheers~

Bellamia~