Seasonal Allergies

gertie

Do hay fever & other seasonal allergies affect those with dysautonomia worse than others? DH & I both have a sinus problem but it affects us differently. My nose, mouth, tongue & throat are on fire, I have a slight sinus drainage, & feel like awful. He has a slight drainage & he feels fine. It's ragweed season here so I'm pretty sure we're both allergic to the same thing yet it doesn't seem to bother him at all. I have extra sensitive nerve endings & DH obviously has none. I'm just wondering if I'm just a wimp or do we react differently.

Is there any way to numb our nerve endings? I'm trying Neurontin to see if that helps but so far it hasn't stopped the nasal & throat burning. Thanks.

Alicia, I get really sick with allergies... my whole body... pretty extreme. The best solution for me has been to rinse my sinus with something called neilmed sinus rinse. After about 2 weeks I had no more problems. It has also kept me from getting ear infections and sinus infections. It is easier to use then a neti pot and I think a little less gross. I don't know if my allergies have anything to do with pots or not... but I do know that I feel better when allergies are not making me sicker. Best wishes- KayJay

It's ragweed season here, too, and I feel doubly awful since it hit. Have you tried Benadryl or a non-drowsy allergy formula yet? You might need antibiotics if you have a sinus infection, however. Allergies can definitely make you feel worse, and if yours are bad enough, you may want to ask your PCP about Zyrtec or another prescription med if the OTC ones don't work.

Hope you're feeling better soon - stay in the AC :P

Cheers,

Jana

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with allergies. :P

This is the first year I ever had problems with seasonal allergies. I'm not sure if it is because I'm pregnant or if it is because we have moved to an area that is one of the worst places in the country to live if you have seasonal allergies.

My husband also has allergies, but his are worse than mine. He's had them ever since he was a child. Other than allergies and asthma, he is very healthy. My son, three years old, also has allergies now. Otherwise he is also very healthy.

Allergies affect everyone differently. I don't know if dysautonomia may make it worse for some or not. That doesn't seem to be the case in our family, though. It's the healthy ones (my husband and son) who have the worst allergies.

Rachel

I have had hayfever/pollen allergies since I was a child. Now, I notice whenever my hayfever allergy is acting up my fatigue and orthostatic tachycardia increases greatly. I'll take a zyrtec and will feel better in 30 minutes. I think the circulating histamine worsens my OI.

I have had burning mouth, throat and lips since my POTS really kicked in gear last year. No doctor can make sense of it. I also have burning skin on my face, hands, feet, and sometimes all over but that is due to small fiber neuropathy. Benadryl does help the burning mouth somewhat, go figure...

This is my worst time of year--my allergies are pure misery despite being on a slew of medications. I'm congested, have constant drip, and at night, the asthma attacks kick in. Makes me feel more lethargic than my usually exhaustion.

I currently have an ear infection--and I'll probably have more before the season is over--and then by Nov/Dec, my system is shot and I'm at my biggest risk for a major illness. It's been my most common time to end up in the hospital. This year, I'm trying to be more proactive--I have a new ENT, I'm on some different meds this season, so we'll see how it goes.

Isn't there some spray out there that numbs the back of your throat? I forget the name of it, but you may be able to take it. Chloroseptic or something like that. It would be over the counter at your pharmacy. Tastes horrible, but is great at numbing.

I've always had allergies (yuck) but with POTS they've become more problematic.

I have to take daily Zyrtec and I take a 'maintenance' dose of Nasacort (one squirt/each nostril daily). My insurance is now only going to cover Flonase so I have to switch (ugh, but at least's it is just a nasal spray). I do not like taking it all year. I try to only take it April - September but in a new area my PCP I may have to use it more.

For random hives, I take Zantac.

This all seems to help me. I can breath. Even if allergies aren't totally stirring up my POTS, I get horrible headaches/sinus issues if I don't keep them at bay. I'm actually able to vacuum without issue if I take the Zyrtec/Zantac daily.

My biggest culprit is dust mites, so they are all year. The rest is the normal pollen/ragweed/etc.

Isn't there some spray out there that numbs the back of your throat? I forget the name of it, but you may be able to take it. Chloroseptic or something like that. It would be over the counter at your pharmacy. Tastes horrible, but is great at numbing.

But the Atomic Fireballs taste good! :blink: