Intense nausea

MightyMouse

Oh my goodness, the past few weeks have been very queasy. It's so intense that I've been having chills. None of my normal stuff is working. I'm at 2 nexium per day--I have levsin sublingual, but I usually only take that for spasms and pain...this is more just rolling nausea. Ideas, anyone?

Hi Nina! I have learned to live with nausea almost every day. I have been over-doing it lately and in addition to my heart rate hitting up near 160 bpm again, the nausea has increased as well. Sublingual Zofran (8 mg) is the only thing that does the trick for me, but it is very expensive.

When I am having an especially 'nauseous' week, I will put on a pair of 'Sea Bands' first thing in the morning and they really work to keep the nausea from appearing. I hope you get relief soon, and if you find any new remedies (I've heard McCormick Peppermint Extract in hot tea can help) please let us all know. Good luck!

-Dan

Nina-

I just read your response to my post on the NDRF board... are you sure you aren't coming down with a stomach flu? I know some flu's can last a few weeks...just a thought!! The only time I get nauseated as a result of my ANS problems is when I eat a products that I'm sensitive to (too many carbs, gluten etc...) or when I'm especially lightheaded.

Let us know how you are doing...nausea is definitely my least favorite ailment. I hope you feel better soon!!

I suppose it *could* be the flu--but it's been 2 weeks and I've had no fever or other symptoms. I also was really careful not to cheat w/ gluten over the holidays. I even had stuffing made with rice bread!

Dan, I have a pretty good prescription plan--the most I would pay is 20$.

I'm thinking I'll probably call my gastro--I've been avoiding that because I KNOW that he's been dying to do an upper endoscopy on me. I've been seeing him for 3 years and thus far have managed to get out of it...

Oh well. A-scoping-we-will-go...hi ho hi ho

Nina ;)

This is going to sound strange .... but when I get nauseus it is usually more in my head than my stomach. (Not psychosomatic, just the nausea seems to come from someplace inside my dizzy head.) Mornings are the absolute worst. By night fall I can almost feel like myself again. Then poof! Sometime in the middle of the night it comes back and by morning I don't recognize myself again.

I've tried juice before getting out of bed .... calcium before getting out of bed .... soymilk before getting out of bed .... compression stockings etc. Each seem to work on some days but nothing all the time.

BTW I have some interesting gluten free recipes on the web (years of wheat free, sugar free diet.) Though I am not gluten sensitive -- I can have oats and rye -- but I rotate all my foods on a 4-5 day plan.

http://coolkarma.com/Foods/index.html

FEEL BETTER SOON.

EarthMother

Thanks EarthMother,

I can't have rye due to the gluten issue. However, in the past several years, most folks who treat celiac and other gluten problems have approved oats for consumption--the only caveat being that if the oats are processed in a place where they also process barley, rye or wheat, there may be cross contamination.

My nausea problems have been much worse at night--not sure what that's about. Planning on calling the doctor today....off to run to work.

Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Just wanted to say it could be a virus. There are tons of things going around. We have had two separate viruses, one causing nausea and stomach cramps, no diarrhea and no vomiting.

But, I do get the occasional bouts of nausea that I think is either associated with POTS or dietary issues. When I get it, it feels like I could throw up wherever I am (God I hope that doesn't happen). Is that the way it feels for everyone else? Then I just sit calmly and it will pass pretty quickly. Didn't know for sure if it was POTS related or not!!

I haven't found any meds that help with nausea for me so I have tried a few natural ideas. As mentioned above, Peppermint tea or what I like better is peppermint essential oils. You can put some on a klennex or just inhale from the bottle directly...which is what I was doing just Sunday evening! I can usually trace my nausea to when I have overdone. Also when my BP is high I have nausea although my doctor is not sure if the nausea triggers the higher BP or vice versa.

I am sure some of you might laugh at the next....but one day when I was at the massage therapist and complained of how sick I was of the nausea, she did this "thing" on points in my feet and in seconds the nausea I had had for 48 hours was GONE!

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Dear Mighty Mouse

I hope you are a lady or you are going really enjoy this mail. It is a personal question but are you on any form of contraceptive? few months ago I was dying of nausea and my doctor just changed my pill. I almost had instant relief. When you body starts getting use to a pill or it stops working there are signs. My body did not like my pill anymore and I was getting very nauseas. I am lucky my doctor changed it instead of finding out that I was pregnant before I changed it. Discuss this with you doctor, I have been having fun with my pills lately but the one I am on now is fantastic.

Good luck, all my other thoughts have basically been covered. I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon. ;)

Michelle, I'm cracking up. ;) Ling, yes, definitely I'm a girl...lady, whatever the femine word is. I haven't been on contraceptives, so that can't be it.

Sadly, :unsure: , I'm feeling a bit worse. However, I think the answer may be that I have the flu. I got a wicked headache yesterday, have been feeling very tired and aggitated. And, today, my ears and throat are killing me. Ho Hum. At least I have an answer!

I've been addicted to peppermint gum this week...thanks for the ideas. It's helped. I have peppermint oil somewhere in the house--just have to find it when I get home from class tonight.

Off to school as it's the last week of classes before finals next week...Nina

Oh well. Didn't make it through school. Left at the half way mark... and I've called out for work tomorrow. Running a temp now. Looking more and more like a bug and not the POTS. Doesn't it stink sometimes having to bother to figure that stuff out??? I do suppose, tho, that there could be much worse things in this world to have to cope with.

Trying to think positively despite my head filled with snot! ;)

at least I'll get to sleep in tomorrow.

Nina :unsure:

Thanks Michelle-- I call out sick a second day yesterday and finally went to the doctor. No wonder I felt cruddy--have a double ear infection and a sinus infection, so I'm on antbiotics and keeping my fingers crossed that they work b/c tetracycline/doxycycline is kind of wimpy and the only one I can take.

I got to stay in and watch the snow...and now we're getting even more. Our neighbor was very sweet and did our walks and driveway with his snowblower :D

Nina,

Hope you are feeling better. Was wondering how you knew you had a sinus infection? I have been dealing with a cold/sinus thing for almost a month now, some days I feel better than other days it acts up again.

I thought sinus infections were draining green or yellow (sorry for the gross factor). I am draining mostly clear but a little bit of green mucuous in the morning (sorry again).

Really don't like taking antibiotics but I would love to feel better!!!

I went to my ENT doc b/c my ears were really bugging me. I had green mucous, but before that, it was mostly bleeding or bloody mucous that was often clear. The bleeding can be a sx of a staph infection, which I've had a number of times before. The other thing was that I could no longer do my sinus rinse routine w/o inducing lots of pain and pressure.

I think you live w/in my area --Philly, yes? I use Dr. Joel Blumin at U of Penn, across from the hospital at 8th & Spruce. He's the one who did my sinus surgery last year.

http://www.entconsult.org/bios/bioblumin.html

The staff has been very nice to me there--and I've usually been able to get an appointment within a day or so of calling.

Nina

Wow Nina. What a small world. I think I told you I was born in Philly. My dad went to U of Penn, as did my uncles.

My uncle brought up Dr. Blumin's name as someone I should come to Philly and see regarding my thyroid cancer surgery and the possibility that it and/or my skiing accident might be to blame for my throat spasm problems.

I am looking for an ENT who is interested in doing some specialized testing on my recurrent laryngeal nerve and/or cricothyroid muscle to see if they could be the cause of my symptoms. This could be the guy...

-Dan

He's a really good guy...not the best conversationalist, but definitely cares about his patients. He uses some pretty nifty technology in his surgical procedures...I had a computer visual assisted surgery with a special map they'd made of my sinuses using a CAT scan and a helmet like item that helps with positioning.

Nina

ps. I was joking with him when he had that straight scope in my nose and he said I was "gunky"...I said something about being full of "nose goblins", which are better than having "tooth beavers" and he cracked up. How can I not like a fellow Ren & Stimpy fan???

Happy Happy Joy Joy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Joy! :D

Edited by MightyMouse

Yes, I am outside of Philly. Thanks for the tip.

I am giving this a few more days. My ears have been feeling a bit clogged, too.

This has just been a really nasty year so far for us with viral infections/colds. I am HOPING and PRAYING we are spared the flu bug. I had the flu shot myself so hopefully that will give some protection, but I couldn't get my kids vaccinated. I had an appt for next Wednesday and they called me Friday and told me they were not giving anymore unless you had a chronic illness.

I waited because I wasn't sure what to do about the flu shots because of the thimerosol (sp?) in it especially with my 4 year old, and now I worry I really missed the boat.

:D

Are you feeling better on the antibiotics Nina??

I'm feeling a little better. Doxy isn't really that strong, so I have an earache still, but my killer headache has backed down and I'm about half as queasy, which is a decent improvement. Thanks for asking.

Hey, even if you have a viral thing going in your sinuses, the doc may be able to help you w/ draining stuff out, or giving you a non-medicated system to rinse with to keep things flowing...or even guafenisen, which thins the mucous and allows it to drain out.

Nina