Synthroid Taken At Night Or Day?

Usually it is recommended to take thyroid medications in the morning because they can cause insomnia if taken at night. If you have a hard time waiting to eat after arising, maybe set an early alarm and take it before getting out of bed.

i keep mine right by my bed and as soon as i open my eyes after 2 am. then i take them and fall back to sleep. when i do wake i can't stand up for the longest time. so i now keep my meds near me all sorted out in a pill box with a drink. i still lay there till i can safely stand.

:)

bellamia~

The recommendation for synthroid et al. is to take on empty stomach in the morning.

I feel like crap in the morning and not always able to take something right away. I've been taking my synthroid (ok, levoxyl) at night for years. No problems. I sleep like a log. (ok, a log that has to get up and pee at night, but that's not the thyroid meds and I easily fall back asleep each time.)

Keep in mind ... thyroid meds work because of their half-life, not because they carry a payload. For instance, you take an advil ... you feel the effects in 15 minutes and it wears off in 6-8 hours. In a dozen hours you likely don't have any ibuprofin left in your Blood supply.

Thyroid med on the other hand has a half life that's huge -- it is literally DAYS befores half of it is out of your bloodstream. That's why it takes us sooooo long to feel better on a new dose. The amount we take each day (or night ;-) is insignificant.

That said ... do some of us feel the effects of each pill and do better taking it in the morning (as prescribed)? Sure. It wouldn't be the first drug that ANS dysfuction folks have microsensitivity to. Personally though, I have no problem taking at night as my body doesn't seem to recognize the tiny booster in any appreaciable way.

My Endocrinologist said it didn't matter if I took it on an empty stomach, but I hear that other people are told to always take on an empty stomach.

A pharmacist even told me it didn't matter.

My thyroid levels have always come out in the normal range since being on synthroid. Also, I have never noticed any kind of surge on synthroid. I have not had any kind of side affects, and have also not noticed any changes because I didn't even know I had a thyroid problem.

I never had a problem with fatigue until I had the sudden POTs crash, and things haven't been the same since; I was diagnosed with Hashemoto's thyroid in 1995 by accident. The nurse practioner at my gynocologist's office ordered the blood work because thyroid issues ran in my family, then an appt. with an endocrinologist followed and I was diagnosed with hashemotos. I never noticed symptoms, didn't gain any weight-----everything seemed normal, other then occasional panic attack type symptoms, and tachycardia most likely linked to POTS. No fatigue or other thyroid symtoms.

Now it would be difficult to tell if I had to increase thyroid meds. The only way I could tell is to check levels.

It's so weird the thyroid medications never seemed to make any difference at all on how I felt------------one way or the other. I just didn't notice symptoms, and now I couldn't tell because of all my other symptoms that can mimic low thyroid. I was born with the EDS, and when I was younger I had mild POTS symptoms secondary to that-----------those symptoms were not thyroid issues. When ever I had one of my tachycardia spells my thyroid levels were checked to see if I had HYPER thyroid-------------not HYPO, which is what they found in 1995.

Before my POTs hit I took it at night because I kept forgetting to take it in the morning. Then I started to take it in the morning, still before my POTS hit. Now I take it around noon daily----still normal thyroid levels.

Maybe I notice being a little sluggish if I forget to take it now-----but nothing like POTs symptoms.

I know this is more of an answer then needed, but I found it odd I never noticed symptoms, and never had side affects to the synthroid when so many people do.

Maxine :0)