Gall Bladder Problems

Hi...as I am in the recuperation stage for gall bladder removal and appendectomy, I was wondering if any of you have had gall bladder problems and if there is any possible relationship to POTS.

I was in the hospital for 2 weeks--just got sprung. It took about 8 days to diagnose the gall bladder problem. Now, minus the gall bladder and given the bed rest in the hospital etc, my POTS has reared its ugly head.

Goldicedance

Guest Julia59

My gallbladder runs at about 60% as of Jan 2001. I'm trying to hang on to it, but if I get too miserable I will have it removed.

I have heard from quite a few people with ANS dysfunction who have had gall bladder disease-----and some who have had it removed.

A lot of us have constant GI trouble---and I think the Gall bladder gets worn out and doesn't work like it should---further aggravating GI issues. Some have more GI problems then others----and some don't seem to be bothered with much GI discomfort. But I think the majority of people with POTS have had to deal with GI issues at one time or another. That's my guess anyway.......:D

Julie ;)

I had my gallbladder and appendix removed way back in 1971 when I was just 24 years old! I had large stones in the gallbladder. This is really rare at that age. I had the appendix out because I had suffered several appendicitis-type attacks in the previous 3 years, so they took it out just in case it decided to rupture someday. The gallstones were likely there for several years--I had had gallbladder symptoms since I was about 19!

So I have lived the last 33 years without the gallbladder. I do show, on x-rays and scans that I have an enlarged common duct which is expected in anyone who has had a gallbladder removed. The common duct enlarges and takes over the function of the gallbladder. I have never developed stones in the common duct, although that is known to happen.

One thing I did that helped a lot is after having the gallbladder out, I have stayed away from high fat foods and especially foods high in shortening.

At the time I had the gallbladder and appendix out I considered myself to be very healthy and did not have overt POTS symptoms.

I am glad you had your appendix out, too. Now you will never wonder if you have appendicitis if you have pains there in the future.

Good luck, you will be so much better off without a bad gallbladder.

Michigan Jan

i have gallstones, sludge and my gallbladder works at less than 20%. i am convinced it is a huge part of my gastro problems, but neither my gastro doc or pcp will remove it until it affects my liver enzymes or gives me pancreatitis. they say i am too high risk for surgery. but i sure think i'd feel better. it's pretty frustrating. hope you have a speedy recovery and take it slow and easy. morgan

I never had any stones, my gallbladder was functioning at less than 30% and described as "atonic" when I had it removed in 1995--I was only 30. I also have biliary colic, and am believed to have spasms in my "sphincter of odi".

Nina

My gallbladder does not work right either and has not since I was about 17, when I was spilling salts and bile. I cannot tolerate fatty foods at all! I would like to have mine removed, but my doctor does not seem to think that I should do it with all my other health problems. She has suggested I start taking pancreatic enzymes and other digestion aids to help with the gallbladder until it either fails so miserably that I must have emergency surgery or removed it when everything else improves(likely never, so emergency it is). I hope you find that your health improves now that your gallbladder is gone!

My daughter had her gallbladder removed at age 11, a hida scan showed hers to be nonfunctioning, filled up, wouldn't empty. She has almost no gut motility, cannot tolerate fatty foods, and just general gut pain. We mentioned the gut problems to Dr. Grubb, he told us people with ANS disfunctions usually have gut problems too. She had her appendix removed 6 weeks before the gallbladder. Yikes!