Very Red Line On Spine With Blister That Is Oozing

Hi everyone,

I noticed some liquid right on my spine tonight, and remembered the last time this happened I had blisters that oozed. And sure enough there was a large piece of skin that was peeling off as if I had been burned, where the liquid was coming from. It also hurts like a burn. I also have a line going all the way up my spine that looks like a burn. (my husband looked at it for me.) I did have bruising around my spine once and don't know why. Does anybody get this? Could these be the blisters like with mastocytosis, or mcad? I did have a partially positive test for this, but have been unable to come back and repeat the test due to my family being sick. It hurts to the touch, but other then that it is not particularly painful. Just concerning. Any help would be appreciated.

Suzy

Yuck Suzy. Sorry this is happening to you. All my MCAD ever did was cause some pretty spectacular flushing, hives, and some boil-like lesions (infected hives???) I've never had anything like you are describing.

Tell us what you find out.

Julie

Suzy,

I'm sorry that you're suffering from a new and scary-sounding condition. Please get yourself to a doctor and get this looked at as soon as possible. Take care of yourself...I'm worried about you. Sending you lots of positive energy and thoughts~

Jana

This sounds like something you should have looked at ASAP. Anything near your spine, or showing a red line could be serious. At the very least call your Doc asap, and see if antibiotics can be prescribed before you see him/her if you can't be seen right away.

I hope this clears for you quickly. Sorry, I don't know much about mastocytosis or mcad. Wish I could help you there.

Take Care,

Maxine :0)

Look into a pilonidal cyst. These usually occur at the base of the spine. They do become infected, which could explain your symptoms. You need to get to a doc.

Hugs-

Julie

Hi Everyone, and as always thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. This morning the red line was gone. The blisters aren't oozing anymore. They have now become a scab, which is what the ones I had before did.

Pat57, my grandma has shingles, so I will have to look into that. Thank you.

Julie, that is kind of what they are like, is a hive that breaks and oozes the liquid out. But I never felt a hive reaction with the itching and stuff. I'll look into the pilonidal cyst you mentioned. Thank you so much for your help.

Jana, thank you for your concern. I did have the appointment at Mayo as you know, but I had to go through my family being sick one at a time, so now would be a good time to reschedule that appointment.

Maxine, unfortunatly I haven't had much luck with my local doctors, and although I have tried I still don't have a regular local doctor. But luckily the red line is gone. If it gets any worse though I can go to urgent care, and I will. Thank you for your concern. I think the fact that it was on my spine with the red line was what had me so concerned too. Because I have had these before, just not on my spine, and not with the red line. Thank you for your help.

also Julie, the reason I was wondering about the mastocytosis is that these look like pictures you sent me once for skin sores or lesions for mastocytosis. When they scab they look just like them. But I don't know if that is just a coincidence.

Thank you all so much for your help with this. If I learn anything about it I will let you all know. You guys (girls) are gems!

Suzy

ewwww!!!! I looked up the pilonidal cyst, and it isn't that deep! It is more on the surface. Kind of like something hot burned me, and made a blister, and it oozed!! I am going to have my hubby take a better picture this morning. Thank you girls again!

Suzy

Hey, suzy, I was wondering when you were going to reschedule that appointment at Mayo. I hope you do it soon, it seems like a really important appointment for you to keep. Until this week I hadn't been posting much, cause I wasn't feeling well. But I was reading your posts and seeing that you have really been up and down a lot lately. So, please don't put off your appointment with Mayo any longer, they are the one place that seems to be of help to you.

I also remember one of my cousins who I'm close to but lives in florida, best friend is a nurse at one of the hospitals by you. She and I became reaquainted when my cousin was in town for a visit. She is my age and is really a sweet person.

I bet I could ask her to help you find a more suitable doctor up there where you live. Let me know if you'd like me to ask her. You can send me a pm of who you've already seen up there and some medical high lights that you want addressed, maybe she will know a doc that will be a better fit for you.

As always hoping you feel better!

You know my dear how I worry about you. A "red line" is usually a sign of infection which is traveling..its called celllulitis. How are you feeling today?

Is there any warm/hot feelings around this wound? If so.. or if the RED LINE appears you need very strong antibiotics as its a fast traveling infection at that point.

Shingles.. another nasty chronic herpes-type virus. Hope you dont get that either.

I know how you HATE ERs and MDs for the most part.

Glad its better today.

Keep me informed ok?

Warmly, Jan

Ok! I am totally laughing! Jan I just gave you advice about seeing a doctor on your post, now I am sitting here trying to get out of it on mine!!! The red line is completly gone. It was kind of on the surface of the skin. Like if you got a bad rug burn, that blistered. It isn't down inside the skin. Otherwise I would really agree, and be down at my ER getting a lecture about how many times I had been there or something. I just don't want to make anyone worry. It is like a skin thing. Not an under skin thing. Does this make sense? Anyways thanks for always thinking of me. I am always thinking of you too. Take care.

AZgirl, I do need to go back to Mayo. At first I cancelled because my husband was sick, then hurt his back, then one kid got sick, then the other. Now there is still some lingering cough. Then My father in law went to hospital for emergency surgery on his stomache, and the next day my uncle got chlorine inhalation (he works with water treatment large vats of chlorine) and was in ICU for 4 or 5 days. All this while I was doing good at least! And I was trying to do my kitchen, and we were helping the neighbors with some things of theres. (Gosh and I wonder why I am tired!) So in a nutshell that is why I haven't rescheduled. Things have just been crazy. That and I really had it somewhere in my head that I was all better, and I didn't need to see any more doctors! HA! That is so nice of you to offer to do that. I will send you an e-mail tonight after I am laid down for a while and can think clearly. OK? Thank you so mucch. Take care!

Hugs

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

I hope everything is getting better with your skin. I wonder if you could have had an insect bite / sting? I've seen a friend come up in large blisters where she has had mosquito bites, if they got rubbed they burst and oozed clear yellow fluid.

Shingles does cause blisters but usually multiple small blisters. The shingles rash follows a nerve pattern, on the back / chest it usually goes around one side as though it was following a rib. You can't "catch" shingles from someone (it is reactivation of a dormant virus) but if you have never had chicken pox, you can catch chicken pox from someone with shingles.

Taking photos of skin problems is always a good idea so that you can show different doctors later.

Flop

Hi Flop,

I am pretty sure they are not insect bites. I have had them before, in places that insects don't reach well. That is interesting what you say about shingles, and the pattern they follow. When I went to take my shower last night I noticed I also have one under my breast. This one is just the line, but isn't blistering or oozing yet. (knock on wood.) The ones on my back are almost completly gone now, except for a scab. So it does come and go pretty quick. But it is very strange. Thank you for your concern, and help. I really appreciate it. Take care.

Suzy