What Symptoms Have You Gotten From Drinking Alcohol

mae

Gosh, it's been a while - maybe a year? But the last time I even had a sip of wine I felt terrible. Now i'm just trying to describe what that feeling was...I guess just all of my symptoms were worse - orthostatic issues, tired, achy...

very seldom drink alcohol... as it makes me quite tired. takes very little time for alcohol to effect me (though only consume champagne or desert wines)among friends/family, am notorious for falling asleep after a glass or two... also experience a great deal of swelling (hands, feet, legs, face) after imbibing... cheers....

Alcohol in small doses improves nearly all my symptoms when Im feeling symptomatic. It brings them on if Im feeling well sometimes. Ive told my doctor about this and he told me that a small glass of light beer (which is the amount we are talking about) isnt too bad on occasion if needed - he was pretty much of the opinion that if it works for you and its not dangerous its ok.

If im feeling well however it can bring it on for me. And the next day im usually less dizzy but more trembley.

In most people it is a potent vasodilator in small doses. Helpful perhaps for overconstrictors but not over dilators. But in some people alcohol can have a vasoconstrictive effect.

I LOVE red a nice dry red wine ... unfortunately I think I have a true intolerance. After only a few sips I flush. I become intoxicated very easily. The next day, even if I only have one glass ... I get sick. Vomiting and headache.

I also get more ortho intolerance the next day and sometimes some o2 desatting.

Alcohol in small doses improves nearly all my symptoms when Im feeling symptomatic. It brings them on if Im feeling well sometimes. Ive told my doctor about this and he told me that a small glass of light beer (which is the amount we are talking about) isnt too bad on occasion if needed - he was pretty much of the opinion that if it works for you and its not dangerous its ok.

If im feeling well however it can bring it on for me. And the next day im usually less dizzy but more trembley.

In most people it is a potent vasodilator in small doses. Helpful perhaps for overconstrictors but not over dilators. But in some people alcohol can have a vasoconstrictive effect.

This sounds very similar to how it is for me. I have a low tolerance overall for alcohol, but when I'm feeling bad, a drink can definitely help. In fact, a drink can help rid me of a migraine or angina pain. I think that in addition to the vasodilatory effect, we should also remember that alcohol increases dopamine transmission. We could be getting a small double boost, if you will, from small amounts.

As to how I feel the next day? I wake up every morning feeling as if I had a hangover whether I've had a drink the previous evening or not.

Guest elyag

For a long time, a small glass of wine or a beer actually made me feel a little better. But not anymore. My dysautonomia seems to be playing by different rules these days. I don't seem to be able to tolerate alcohol, even in small amounts.

As to how I feel the next day? I wake up every morning feeling as if I had a hangover whether I've had a drink the previous evening or not.

Too funny! yeah exactly! A concerned friend asked me if i was up to going to a concert midweek as it might make me feel worse the next day. I told him that I feel the same whether i get 4 hours or 16 hours sleep so no biggie...

Sometimes its almost like my body needs something to do to stop giving me POTS - when ive got a cold it goes away, when im tired it seems to improve, very odd...

Too funny! yeah exactly! A concerned friend asked me if i was up to going to a concert midweek as it might make me feel worse the next day. I told him that I feel the same whether i get 4 hours or 16 hours sleep so no biggie...

Sometimes its almost like my body needs something to do to stop giving me POTS - when ive got a cold it goes away, when im tired it seems to improve, very odd...

And the alcohol? Well, it probably doesn't help, and yes, it might actually hurt, but you know, every once in awhile, I don't mind having a couple of drinks and just not CARING that I feel bad!

I think for me, it boils down to choice. If I choose to do something and it makes me feel worse, well, so be it. I accept the consequences of my choice. I'm not so accepting of being put into situations in which I have little if any choice.

Hello,

I asked this question because the my POTS symptoms seemed to be getting more cope-able, so I decided to have " A beer" after about 3 sips I was very hot alittle woozy and then I manage to drink 1/2 the beer . I felt so tired all the veins in my hands were very plump like my B/p was on the rise. I went to lay down and feel asleep I woke up about an hour later in a Extreme panic state heart racing numbness in arms and face and was terrified . I drank 2 bottles of water and craved something sweet and it finally passed . This was a bad experience and I use to be a drinker you know like a six pack or sometimes 12 and sometimes it seemed alcohol didn't have any effect on me. But this is an absolute intolerance for me. I never wanna feel that again. I didn't have hangover feeling this time, but all the other times I ever drank I had very bad hangover with the extreme anxiety for the whole next day along with vomiting faintness all the rest.

Thanks for all replies

Mae

A few weeks ago, I went to Red Lobster with a friend. I ordered a strawberry daiquiri. I usually order a virgin strawberry daiquiri, but I wanted to see if I could drink one with alcohol. Big mistake! On our way home,my heart was racing. I took a beta blocker I had in my purse, even though I had already taken my beta blocker for the night. I wasn't sure if it was going to slow down, I was just going to keep taking beta blockers until it did, but then it finally returned to nornmal.

I like imported beer, good wines, and margaritas.

When I was younger it made my heart race if I drank too much, but I could tolerate it.

The next day I would have a hangover for about half the day------again, only if I drank too much.

I can't drink more then a half a drink now without severe blood pooling -------------abdominal pooling with bloating, tachycardia, light headed, ect. Maybe if I drink a half a beer slow I might get away with it. Symtoms are usually immediate, and I rarely had anything bayond my normal issues the next day.

I love margaritas, and wish I could have a couple of them like I used to several years ago. Maybe with extra salt on the rims?----LOL.

Maxine :0)

i used to love a nice drink, that's all it took one went right to my head. my doc that dx, the neuropathy told me never to drink alcohol because in some people alcohol makes makes neuropathy worse. also, in some people alcohol is poison and just a small amount can kill them. he felt that even though (this was pre-pots ) i drank socially and very seldom that it was poison to me. i haven't drank sense. The funny part is i realize i just like the fancy glass. i put my Gatorade in a variety of different wine and Margaretta glasses and have just as much fun making up funny names for my drinks. LOL! :huh:

Can you describe your symptoms from consuming a small amount of alcohol?

This is how I began noticing how I was ill...ALCOHOL. Although I'd been drinking my first 2 years of college, something began changing, along with my health, my 3rd year. I began to notice that in addition to not feeling like myself everyday, after I drank alcohol I would feeling like I was DYING the next day. This was undoubtedly the cause to most of my ER visits, and I could simply not fuction. I would feel as if my body was shutting down and simply...dying. I stopped drinking and these episodes drastically decreased. However, after not drinking for over a year, last May I decided to have a few cocktails the 2 nights before my graduation to celebrate. BIG MISTAKE. I woke up at 7am and KNEW what I was in store for. I was feeling "ok" but could tell I was in for it, and sure enough, around noon, it began. I was rushed to the hospital and after receiving IV fluids the attack subsided over the duration of 3 hours. It was by far the worst feeling I have ever felt and I thought for sure I was not going to see the next day. Needless to say, I haven't touch ed a drop of alcohol since then and I don't think I'll ever understand what changed so quickly...I used to be able to tolerate my alcohol very well!! Below is an excerpt from my very first DINET post, clarifying my symptoms after alcohol:

"Episode" Symptoms: (after alcohol use, being in the heat, menstruation, possibly sugar or too many carbs?)

There is no way that I can describe these episodes, it feels as if I am dying. It starts with hot flashes that move like a wave over my body (feels like a poison is flowing through my veins). My teeth start chattering, I get nauseas, tremors in my stomach, sometimes have g.i. issues and NEED to go to the bathroom, and muscle twitches. Sometimes it stops at this, although after alcohol use (which I no longer drink) it only gets worse. I feel like I can?t catch my breath, my heart POUNDS in my chest, I feel weak and on the verge of passing out. My extremities go numb, I get extremely nauseas, I feel like I am very out of it like in a dream-world, my ears will begin ringing, and I get severe jerking of my limbs/muscles twitches/spasms. These episodes last anywhere from 30 minutes to hours. Eventually, the heart rate will decrease but I am left feeling drained, exhausted, tired, and very "out of it." Only way to describe these episodes are that I feel like my body is shutting down and I am dying. I can't imagine feeling anyworse than when I am in the middle of an episode. I do anything I can to avoid these, and although I get them randomly from time to time, they have drastically decreased since I stopped drinking alcohol a year and a half ago.