Flying?

In about a month i have to fly to california (LA) from Phoenix, Arizona. Since i have gotten POTS i have never traveled. How did most of you do when you flew? I am not just worried about my symptoms but i get crazy anxiety when I have to leave the places i feel the most safe at.. I think i have anxiety disorder secondary to POTS. I am worried that when i get on the plan i will get all tachy and freak out. Also my mom has always been there to help me when my symptoms get back and i will be flying alone. Just the other day i had to drive 2 cities away from me and i get anxiety because i dont know how to react in a certain situation if my POTs gets bad. I pretty much have safe zones where i feel most comfortable. I also worry that i am miles off the ground and away from any hospital.. I guess im just afraid even though its only a 2 hour trip at max

Try not to worry, bring calming music or something to do to keep your mind off the situation.

Also rationalise the situation, if you do have a medical emergency they will land the plane (i doubt it will get to this, but it is comfoting to know worst case scenario!) dont let your thought run away with you. Tell your self this is the worst that could possible happen and if that happens then this is how i will deal with it. when im panicy this seems to relax me as it prevent my mind from running away with what if's!

also you may want to let a flight attendent know about POTS and how it effect you.

have a safe trip...i know your going to get through it! x

Guest tearose

I don't get anxiety attacks and did have trouble in flight for about 20 minutes one way and 30 on the return trip. I went into a hyper-ventilation state.. I was in bad shape for a bit of time, I can't deny it. I had to use all my management skills. I had to bring my knees to my chest and focus on careful breathing, I am glad I had full compression garments on. I also started electrolytes because my heart was in overdrive. This was due to the change in cabin pressure. You just have to realize that you can't control how your body is going to respond to the cabin pressure changes so you must be spring in to action if you need to. Plan and prepare for it and you should be able to manage.

tearose

I don't have anxiety either, but flying makes me "feel" like I do. The bone dry air on the plane makes it hard to breathe and the cabin altitude WILL act to lower your BP. Once you get past security at the airport, get a BIG bottle of something to drink and take it on the plane with you. The flight attendants can get really busy and forget to bring you anything. Wear compression! As firm as you can stand! Try and find a small bottle of nasal saline and squirt it up your nose every half an hour or so, just to keep the membranes moist. Make sure you fly when your POTS meds are fully active, rearrange your dosage if you have to! If you can read on the plane, get a new, thick, fascinating book or rent a movie at one of those In-Flight movie kiosks at the airport. Don't try to do ANYTHING other than find your hotel for several hours after the flight. Once there, LAY DOWN for an hour or more.

I have always had POTS, I have always HATED flying...and yet I married a pilot! So I fly much more than I would like. All these have helped me a great deal. Don't be afraid to ask for a wheelchair or ride, tell them you have a heart condition! YOU DO!

Good luck!

Guest tearose

Yes, mkoven, I did feel normal as soon as the cabin pressure and my body were able to sync. It was nothing with long lasting issues. I felt the normal tired of the energy used for the travel.

Hi Dani~

Flying can be difficult, but certainly not impossible for many of us. I just had to fly to Rochester, MN, to the Mayo Clinic last month. I had planned for plenty of time to rest between flying into Des Moines, IA (my mom lives there), and renting a car to drive to Rochester. Appointments got mixed up at the clinic, however, so I ended up on a layover flight, landing in Des Moines, having to get a rental car, and driving to Rochester (3 hours) all on the same day. Yikes! Thank goodness I had my boyfriend there or I would not have made it. My first appointment was the next morning at 6:45 am, and it took us 10 hours of traveling to get to Rochester from Tucson.

Drink lots of water, and take a wheelchair or one of those shuttles to get your luggage. Others have replied with these ideas, too, plus other good ones. Try to get a good night's rest before you go, and accept as much help from others as you can. Also, I always ask for a 'quiet' room and bring some white noise along. I also have generalized anxiety disorder - are you taking any meds for that? I'm on Paxil and will take a Xanax or two to get me through really tough times...Perhaps you can ask your doctor about that?

I know you'll do great - you'll have such a feeling of accomplishment when you get there!

I wish you tons o' positive energy.

Peace,

potsgirl

Hi,

Flying is pretty much out of the question for me! I don't want to scare you though, because I have posted about this before here and on other forums and it definitely sounds like most people are okay with flying.

I have always loved flying and have flown a great deal. So the first time I flew with POTS last year, I didn't expect I'd have any problems. However, it immediately became clear to me that my body was not fond of the pressure changes as soon as we took off. I had a PSVT, which for me, are VERY symptomatic. They cause EXTREME panic and adrenaline feelings, along with a super pounding heart. Usually, they last only a few minutes (though it seems like forever), but this time, it lasted for like half hour. Then we got into the air, and I actually felt great. The whole time we flew, I felt relieved of all my symptoms. However, again, as soon as we started landing, extreme anxiety and PSVTs set in. I was really really freaked out because normally I have to get up and pace or do something to move around when this happens, but we were forced to have our seatbelts on and couldn't get up. I was flying for business with a complete stranger, whom I had to inform oh by the way, I have this health condition and I'm pretty sure I'm dying right now.

I haven't flown since because it was really one of the most uncomfortable things I have endured. I was on beta blockers too, usually taking 25mg Toprol twice a day, and they didn't seem to help. However, on the flight back home, I took 200mg beforehand and didn't have nearly as many issues, though I still felt the anxiety and some heart palpitations during take-off and landing.

Reading this post, it sounds like others feel that the pressure changes trigger the anxiety and heart arrythmias? I have actually researched this a great deal on the internet, and have found NOTHING that suggests this. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on that causes this? Why would a PSVT be set off, with extreme adrenaline release?

A lot of people swear by ensuring that they are hydrated before flying. And have no problems. So I hope the best for you!!!

See thats the thing i get horrible anxiety and my adrenaline levels have been tested and they are extremely high. I am the type where i have to keep my cell phone on silent or else i will have a heart attack every time it rings. I also have been to the hospital to see my mom a lot lately and just taking the elevator messes me up. I wish driving was an option but its not so flying is the only way. Even when I was in a car for 5 hours (i didnt drive) i was messed up for 2 days.. ughh soo frustrating

)

Thank you guys for the replies i am definently going to try some of that out.. anything that helps!

Hi, I just wanted to add that I live in Phoenix and the flight from Phx to LA is usually only about 45 mins to an hour depending on the airline. Thought that the shorter trip might help you out! Good Luck, my prayers and thoughts are with you!

Im ok with short flights, but as my signature will testify - my worst POTS episode trigger seems to be flying. And im not just talking about an acute attack during the flight - I tend to get very bad episodes of POTS for about two months or so after long-distance flights:

1. flight to taiwan - ok on arrival, next day acute POTS attack then ok.

2. flight back from taiwan - ok on arrival then 2 month period of very bad POTS and dizziness.

1. flight to US - ok on arrival, and then acute POts attack next day.

2. flight back, POTs attack during flight twice, felt ill, arrived and then nearly fainted at Singapore, POTS bad for 5 months after this flight.

Flights mess with your nitric oxide levels and maybe this contributes to my relapses post flying. I spoke to my doctor and he was totally dismissive of my relapses being connected to flying. But I know my body better.

so im seeing a trend where LONG flights do damage but mine is really short. AZ to CA.. i am hoping it does not mess with me too badly but i know that ill be out for the rest of the day..

I do have klonopin and have not taken that in months because i hate feeling drugged up and tired but do you think i should take it? i am really worried im going to get on the plane and freak out and usually when i do i can walk or distract myself but i will be on a plane so there wont be any hope for that. I am also flying alone and that scares me too

Dani,

Here's my trick...I take Dramamine since I tend to get a little motion sickness anyway, and if you get the real stuff, the regular (not the non-drowsy formula), it'll put you at rest, too. Either that or Benadryl can help make you drowsy and less likely to have anxiety. I would try that first, before taking the Klonopin. And bring anything soothing to you. Your pillow, mellow music, a meditation tape. I'm sure you'll do great!

hugs,

potsgirl