Hair has halfed

Ling

Can anyone possible say they have lost allot of hair. For the last year or so my hair has been getting thinner and thinner. I have health thick brown long hair (Normally) I made a pony the other day and nearly died. I have literally lost half of my hair, maybe more. My hairdresser commented a few months ago. I have not seen her in a few weeks; I want to ask her opinion now. What is going on? Why am I loosing my hair? :) I can’t say I am taking more hair out daily from my hairbrush than before. But thinner it definitely is?

Help! :o

Hi,

When I started to be acutely sick 4 years ago I lost about half my hair. I had hair below my waist at that time. A year later I had it cut short and it came back. Whenever it gets to a certain length (shoulder) it starts to fall out again. So I know it is time to cut it again. I don't know why it falls like this but it scary.

Ernie

Yep, I totally understand. I have asked my neurologist and endocrinologist both why? My endo said it could be a lot of different things so I don't have a clue. It's very upsetting. (Though I'm secretly suspicious that the reason is because I have low or no growth hormone. I found out via a certain endo test. I think my hair loss has a hormonal basis. But that's just my guess. The doctor wouldn't commit to saying that.)

Ling,

I have lost about 1/3 to 1/2 of my hair as well. Part of it, I am sure, is related to my recent pregnancy (daughter born 10 months ago). When you get pregnant, your hair gets thick and lustrous -- only to fall out 5 months postpartum. But I feel my hair has fallen out excessively beyond that reason.

Another interesting thing about hair: My hairdresser, who is actually a pretty smart girl, told me if you take a strand of hair and pull it apart as you hold it at opposite ends, it should stretch a little before actually breaking into two pieces. My hair used to do this, but since becoming sick, it snaps right in half. Wonder if that happens to others with dysautonomia or just to anyone who is ill.

Amy

Any chronic illness can effect your hair. Changes in diet, vitamin and mineral intake, and general poor health can all be culprates. I have also noticed a small change in my hair, not that I really thought anything about it. I am fortunate to have tons of hair. I just reciently had about 11 inches cut off. I donated to Locks of Love, as I do about every 6 years. However, with my poor health at this point I have decided to keep it short. Does anyone remember the "big hair" of the 80's, that's me now, I'm still working on a good "short hair" look for myself. Thank goodness my mom is a stylist, it would cost me a fortune for all the changes I've made.

I don't know how old anyone else is, but I'm sure some of my changes are hormomal. I had a complete hyst. in March of 1999, ie. surgical menepause. I tried estrogen and many combos, including testostrone and progestone. Mostly they just made the hot flashes and feeling like I was getting my period all the time worse and worse. I stopped all that about a year ago now, all better that way, go figure.

Woops, rambling agian.

Blackwolf

Hi Ling

When I had surgery, in july 2001 (that's when POTS attacked me) I lost very very much hair. I was in bed for a really long time and my bed was full of all the hair I lost (long and dark so you couldn't miss it :P ). I tried some tablets (alternative method of treatment) that didn't work but gave me the feeling I tried to stop it. After about 6 months my hairdresser told me I had a lot of new hair coming up so the worst was over. I still am not sure what caused this hairloss. Sounds like it could have something to do with the POTS???

Corina

FYI...my 19 year old started loosing significant amounts of hair. Endocinologist says her testosterone is on the high end of normal but she is obviouly sensitive to testosterone and it is causeing her hair folicles to react. He gave her aldactone and it helps to suppress the production of testosterone...it is helping. He said it may take 9 months for her hair to grow back. She was also diagnosis with ovarian polysistic syndrome.

Karen

i lost a lot of hair in the beginning...my hair was long and it just kept getting thinner and thinner. my hairdresser, our cleaning person, etc. all commented on it.

like ernie...i ended up chopping it off super-short...no energy to mess with it anyway!

it started to grow back and fill out again and is fine now, however, i have not let it grow long again...i keep it short.

one doctor told me it could have been from going off of the pill and the hormone changes from that. who knows. i am now back on the pill.

so, no answers from me, just that you are not alone...but it is very discouraging and scary. i was pretty freaked out about it. especially b/c i was one of those people who everyone commented on my hair and how pretty it was...so when i lost it, i felt like i lost part of my identity. i'm over that now! i am a liberated woman now with short hair! i've even had it cut super-short and loved it. i never thought i would be gutsy enough to do that!

emily

hI. I haven't been diagnosed with POTS offically , but i have iron anemia, Hypoglycemia, CFS, and my hair is gone. Well not completely but it is so thin on top I have been spraying on scalp conceler. It works pretty good if you're desperate and don't want to where a wig. I have noticed in the past year, since i've been taking iron, and magnesum my hair has gained some of it's body back. It was like straw 6 months ago. Now it has some body. The top is still thin though. It's sad because I used to have beautiful hair. But its definately related to your health. If you get desparate you can try the spray or there's some powders that are good for cover. Nothings perfect but I told the doc I used it the other day and he said he would've never known so I guess it fools the eye pretty good. You can also swim in it. It's better than walking around with a bad combover.LOL