stopping ssri

beala

You should check with your doctor, or ask your pharmacist. In general, stopping an SSRI should be done gradually to avoid withdrawal effects.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxa1607_333181_se...pping_ssris.htm

http://www.healthyplace.com/communities/de...on_events_2.asp

And, from WebMD,

"Never suddenly stop taking antidepressants. The use of any antidepressant should be tapered off slowly and only under the supervision of a doctor. Abruptly stopping antidepressant medications can cause negative side effects"

Nina

Agree with all of the above posts. You must do this under the guidance of your doctor.

Also, regarding feeling crummy on an SSRI, my experience is that it takes 6 to 8 weeks to realize any positive benefits of one. I felt *worse* on the SSRI for that long and then slowly started to get better. I wanted to stop it several times, but my doctor encouraged me to see it through to 2 months and then I was glad I did.

Katherine

Oh, I agree with Katherine... I should have said that earlier. It took me nearly a month to get over the nausea, irritability, shakiness. However, once that passed, I started to do much better with my GI symptoms.

Nina

that would be fine if you could function. my sons brain fog is so bad he can't go to school andhas trouble remembering which class to go to next. each day the brain fog get worse and worse and they keep telling us to wait. He is a senior in high school and need to graduate. How long can he wait !!!

beala

I wish there were easy answers. I so understand your anxiety and frustration. The doctor is probably the best person to answer your question about how long to hold out with a trial course on an SSRI. Like I said, for me it was 2 months of feeling even more terrible, including the brain fog, and then a LONG road to recovery from there--months. The SSRI may or may not be the answer in your son's case.

Perhaps your son will need to take some time off and graduate a year late. Unfortunately, POTS tends to put lives on hold at least for some time. Many of us have been or are in that situation. It isn't easy for the patient or his or her caregivers.

Take care, Katherine

which ssri is your son on?

i've tried to quit my anti-depressant no less than six times, each time with disastrous results. i think the longest i've made it is a week, and the withdrawal symptoms/side effects are just too much.

you must always taper off, never go cold turkey. your doc should say the same thing. if on a normal dose, try cutting in half for a week or two, then in half again, and then if possible--again. by that time your dose will be so low that it would be virtually the same as taking nothing, so you can simply stop.

so, for example, celexa:

say you're on 40 mg

drop to:

20 mg 14 days

10 mg 14 days

(5 mg 14 days my doctor would say don't even bother with this amount, but if you can't go from 10 to zero try it anyway)

0 mg.

I hope you (or your son) can get a withdrawal schedule from the prescribing physician--the other post was an example of what tapering could look like, but it may not be what's recommended in your particular situation and for the medication you're taking. Supervision is absolutely mandatory--the doctor may put you on something else as you taper off the med you're on.

Keep us posted, Beala--let us know what you've decided to do. (PS is it 100% sure that it's the ssri that's causing the "brain fog?")