Rainy Weather - Does It Make You Feel Worse?

jump

OK, I feel a little crazy saying this, but I've noticed I often have a big increase in POTS symptoms (tachycardia, nausea, headaches, feeling out of breath, very tired) on days that are rainy or cloudy -- especially on really cloudy days right BEFORE it rains. Does anyone else have this? I'm wondering if it could be something like a response to pressure changes? I know some people get sore joints before it rains... is it possible to get headaches before it rains? Or is this just a funny coincidence?

jump

I can't tolerate overly sunny days as I'm very senstive to sunlight and heat also, but yet, right before it rains or snows, my symptoms flare BIG time, and typically I feel like death warmed over so to speak. It's the barometer dropping is what causes the problems and makes the body work harder which most people don't even notice, but just like how our bodies will pick up on coming down with a virus before most people even realize they are getting sick, our bodies get thrown off much easier. Does your symptoms seem to get better once the rain or snow is done? That is one way to tell if the weather is playing with your symptom flares.

Hi!

Weather is one of my worst triggers and like others said I can always tell when it is going to rain or the weather is changing drastically etc. I don't think this is an uncommon occurance, especially with migraine sufferers.

It's a result of of the barometric pressure changes etc. Also, as I mentioned on another post that a migraine can trigger the "flight or fight" response that can cause more of the symptoms you describe. Also, with weather changes your body has to work harder to regulate body temperature, and control vasoconsriction/vasodilation. So, if that is all a challenge for your body to begin with and then you add in weather changes that makes your body have to work harder to control bodily responses, it makes sense that POTS symptoms have the possibility of getting worse temporarily.

Our body's have to work hard to reach a balance on a "normal" day, that you add in all the other fun things that challanges us, then we feel more and more symptomatic. Too fun! :):o:P

Rainy weather affects me too. Right before it rains I notice subtle visceral and perceptual changes. Then, when it starts I get fatigued and have additional brain fog troubles.

I also think asthma plays a role in the way weather affects me.

Absolutely. My body goes nuts a day or two before the weather turns bad- I can definitely tell a difference. Living in Florida during an active hurricane season has been especially fun ;)

Carmen

Rainy and cold weather makes me feel better. It's very strange. If it is humid but not rainy, I feel like h*ll. If it's rainy, I feel okay. If it's cloudy and muggy, I feel awful. If it's hot, I feel awful. No idea why. But it can't be too cold because if I'm cold and I start shivering, my heart freaks out and I go into a-fib.

I am DEFINITELY worse when it rains and right before it rains!! I heard it has something to do with the barometric pressure affecting our BP. I can feel my blood pressure going lower, and usually get headaches plus I feel more dizzy. All of my symptoms flare up. I think this is also because when it rains it gets humid too...which is never good for us!

You're not alone in dealing with this weather stuff...I know it stinks, I just try to avoid being outside, which is sometimes impossible to do. Tylenol will help with my headaches sometimes though! ;)

Chrissy

i am much much much worse before and after it rains, or in cloudy weather. so much worse! i get this really really intense pressure in my head, feels like all the blood is going to my head and i can feel and hear it pulsating in my ears. the rest of my body gets really cold and blue. i have a very hard time breathing in this weather and my heart races out of control. also i experience a lot of panic.

i moved to the east coast from the west about a month ago and did not have any of these problems in the dry, wonderful weather of the west. it's definitely weather-related, but i have no idea why i become so much more symptomatic. i'm planning on moving back out west because i felt so much better!!!