Medical Id Bracelets

Maxine

I have MedicAlert. My card says Asthma, Hypermobility Syndrome, Ehlers - Danlos Syndrome, Orthostatic Hypotension, Corneal Abrasions. Should have a bracelet, but I have to take my jewelry off at work so it's not feasible.

I included the hypermobility because many people have NO idea what Ehlers-Danlos is, and hopefully can figure out what hypermobility means. I also don't have orthostatic hypotension (as far as I can tell, just POTS) but as of last year there was no listing for POTS. I also felt that I didn't want people to think I was a cannabis user (the most common question I've gotten explaining this condition).

So that's what mine says.

Sara

Hi Maxine

Good question.

<_<

As my medical issues are too long to write on such a small item, on the front of my pendant it I have my blood type.

On the back is written: "see wallet" (in both, Spanish & English).

It is in my wallet where I have a medical card (slightly larger than a credit card) with the most important information on dx, treatments, allergies, etc.

Hope this can help,

Love,

Tessa

mmmhhh, i never heard of a Id Bracelet like that here in Germany!

Do you wear it all the time in case of an emergency, so the doctors know what they are dealing with? What is it for? I just imagine me wearing a bracelet like that, first of all i dont believe the doctors would find it and if they would somehow, they would read that i suffer from POTS and they wouldnt have a clue what POTS is anyway.

Can somebody please explain to me what this is for?

Thanks carinara

Hi Carinara

It is also not common to be used here in Spain, but doctors know the symbol of a medical emergency, which is what mine has.

Mine is similar to this one

external image

I bought one with the symbol at the Jewelry and they added the text that I gave them.

it is useful when you have... Say for instance a life-threatening allergy to drugs, food, etc. Or if you are diabetic, corticodependant... Or to tell them the treatment they should follow if you have an emergency (according to your disease/s)...

I have the words "See wallet" in Spanish and English (you could have it in German and English)... And in my wallet, I have a medical card (signed by my doctor) explaining my disease, how I should be treated if I had an emergency, as well as my allergies...

Hope this helps,

Love,

Tessa

Hi Maxine,

The medical ID bracelet I have has room for up to 5 lines of text. I think you can probably fit all of the basic information you need onto an ID bracelet.

It could say something like:

Neck Instability

Ehlers-Danlos Type __ (insert whichever type it is that you have)

Postural Orthostatic

Tachycardia Syndrome

or

Cervical/Cranial Instability

Classical type EDS

Autonomic Dysfunction

Those examples would even leave room to have a phone number engraved or have a line that says, "see card in wallet."

The ID bracelet that I have right now is old. It says:

Postural Orthostatic

Tachycardia Syndrome

low blood pressure

I need to order a new one that gives a better description of my current state of health. When I order a new one I will also be including my home phone number and my husband's cell phone number. I can't always remember my phone number, so even if I am conscious in an emergency situation I don't think I could give the contact information the hospital would need.

I hope you can find an ID bracelet that works well for you.

Rachel

Thank you so much for all your answers-----AND ideas--- :D:)

Here's the link I found on medical ID bracelets:

http://invisibleillness.net/

I like the one shown. They are kind of pricy, and I know there are others that are less expensive.

I just thought I would wear something nice.

Rachel, I think I'll use this one: then add see wallet for medical card

Cervical/Cranial Instability

Classical type EDS

Autonomic Dysfunction

Thanks again--------- ;)

Maxine :0)

You know, I've never thought about having a medical ID bracelet. Do you think it's worth it? I don't have EDS or anything, just POTS (haha, "just" POTS) so I've never really thought about it I guess!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Seb, I would recommend checking with your doctor. Depending on your specific symptoms, severity of symptoms, medications, or med allergies you may or may not need one.

When my diagnosis was still "just" POTS about (10 years ago) I was still relatively functional and there wasn't any information that a medical professional would have needed in an emergency situation. When I got a bracelet 4 years ago my diagnosis was still "just" POTS, but my symptoms were much, much worse. My home nurse (who was also an ER nurse) advised me to get an ID bracelet at that point.

If there is any vital information that a medical professional would need in an emergency situation when you can't speak for yourself, then an ID bracelet comes in very handy. Check with your doc and see what he says.

That doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps!

Rachel

I probably need to think about it some too... I am not really sure how to really tell if it is necessary. I have thought of it along the lines that Rachel described that it depends on if you have times where you can not communicate to others in time of medical attention. At times I may be like this, but I tend to not go out much when I feel like this etc.

So, maybe something to think about for the future? I think it is hard to tell when necessary, and then what is important enough to mention and then make it all fit.

Maxine, what you said you decided on sounds good for what you are trying to communicate. And then having the card with more detailed info, phone numbers etc. is a good idea too! :)

Hi,

medical ID is specifically designed to give vital information to ambulance and hospital staff that you may not be able to give yourself in the event of an emergency. Many people wear them daily, and no a doctor would not normally look at it if you are awake and talking to them. However if you are unconscious or unable to talk medical staff perform a standard assessment A- airway, B- breathing, C- circulation, once they know you are breathing they will check for the pulse at your wrist or neck it is at this point that they would find an alert necklace or bracelet.

I have worn a necklace for many years (we are not allowed to wear any jewellery at work but I got special permission to wear my necklace, it is long and tucks out of the way down my top). Mine is from MediTag. I chose my tag because it has a phone number on it that links from anywhere in the world to the West Midlands Ambulance Service who when given my ID number (also on the tag) can access my computer health data - I can update this data as many times as I want with my latest meds, allergies, diagnoses and doctors + family contact details. Now that I am in the system I may choose a new tag from a different provider but I can put the WestMids numbers on it too (you do have to pay a small yearly subscription for the service). My tag is slightly out of date (but the computer bits are accurate) it reads:

************ (name)

Syncope (POTS), Asthma

Steroids, B-blockers.

I put Syncope as I do have blackouts and then POTS in brackets as I doubt anyone would know what it was and hope that it is enough of a curiosity for them to phone for my details. I was worried about steroids as I have been on them for years and would need extra in the event of an emergency. The Asthma and B-blockers are on because there can be problems with the two and if I had a severe allergic reaction they would need to know about the B-blockers and to monitor my BP carefully if I needed adrenaline.

Flop

i have mine through Medic Alert, which is similar to the service flop uses in that you have a tag (bracelet, necklace, etc) with a phone number & your personal ID printed on it which is then connected to a system that can store essentially an unlimited amount of information. you can keep a comprehensive record that includes personal/ emergency contacts, your physicians, medications, allergies, diagnoses, medical/ surgical history, "extras" in your body (plates/screws, pacemaker, central lines, etc), etc...pretty much anything you'd like. there is a yearly fee which is tax-deductible & not much more than a co-pay to the doctor; you can update your info as often as you need to either online or on the phone. you can have a few lines still printed on the ID tag itself, which is good for incredible pertinent info that would be imminently important for treatment in the field, as an EMT would likely see this before the full info was gotten from a phone call made at the hospital to the MedicAlert folks, family members, etc. while i haven't had my ID used i have been told on numerous occasions that it would be used had my parents & my medical record not been with me upon many of my hospital admissions in recent years. now that i'm able to be out on my own at times but still have the history & risk of becoming life-threateningly ill within minutes wherein i can't communicate & might not be able to for days it's something that makes sense for me to have. in fact this post is a good reminder for me that i have to log in to update my file with some of my recent changes.

the bottom line though, if you're willing/ able to subscribe to one of the services, is that you don't have to worry about condensing everything down to a few words/ lines. for many people a few words/ lines is likely more than sufficient for the really important stuff, but for those of us who can't get it pared down the subscription services can be a good option.

hope this helps,

:blink: melissa

Thanks everyone! This all has been really helpful and given me lots to think about! I appreciate it!!!