Made It Through The First Days Of School

lorrie

Well, I made it through the first 3 days of school. My principal asked me very first thing for a letter from my doctor. When I told her I didn't have one, she got mad. She went and called the BOE and asked if she could send me home. They said no and she was really mad. The next day, I had a meeting at the BOE with the personnel director. He said that she has no right to demand a letter from the doctor saying I need no accommodations and that if I would bring him something explaining what I need to keep working at my current position, he would help me.

He called and told the principal that she needs to leave me alone and he will take care of it from here. He advised her that she could be looking at harassment charges if she keeps on my case. I was glad that he is willing to help but I hope she won't make the year harder on me because she has been reprimanded.

Anyway, I have only had one small episode at work and it only lasted a few minutes. I was able to sit down and wait it out without too much interruption to my work. My students understand that I may need to sit down more often and they are fine with that. They just come to my desk for help instead of me running around the room to go to their seats. We worked out a way to prevent all of them being up at the same time and they are doing great with it.

I have an appointment with the doctor Monday after school and will be getting my letter stating what accommodations I need. He has always been willing to write that letter, but not one saying I need NO accommodations. He doesn't want to get me in a bind with my job.

I am bringing as much work as I can home with me so I can do it in my recliner. I am also coming straight home and taking a nap for an hour or so. My husband is taking care of cooking dinner and getting my daughter's homework, bath, etc. (This is a big deal because he just recently began to understand how much rest I need and started helping around the house.) My daughter climbs up in the recliner with me to do her reading homework so I don't feel left out. I think it is going to work out!!

My sense of relief is huge...I have been so worried about what was going to happen. The end of the last school year was very tough and the principal was very hateful about my illness. Out of fear of losing my job (and my insurance), I was pushing myself so hard that I was severely symptomatic. I am finally figuring out that I have to take care of myself and not push myself so hard. I no longer feel guilty about needing to rest in the afternoon in order to be able to work the next day...

Thanks to all of you who have sent words of encouragement while I was getting this figured out.

I'm so sorry you're principal made things difficult! Balancing pots with work is an enormous challenge and I wish you the best of luck! Hang in there and know many of us are right there with you in spirit!

Iam glad that you made it through the first days in school ok. In my experience they are the most difficult ones because it always takes a while to get in a good routine again It's very wise to take some work home with you and to take a nap as soon as you come home from school. These are some of the things i do in order to manage my job as well. I used to have a bad conscience when i came home and layed down for a while, but now i don't anymore. I know that if i don't do so and push myself, i have to pay for it! It's great that you found a good solution with your husband helping you and doing the homework with your little one. That way you can take some time to relax and get your energie back and iam sure your daughter appreciates it if you have a little more energie left to do something fun with her after her homework.

I wish you all the best

carinara

I'm so glad to hear those first few days are behind you. I have been wondering how you were getting along.

Also, GREAT that you got some support from the BOE! Stand your ground against the principle. She has no right to make it difficult for you. Now is your opportunity to make your work situation into one that works for you. I'm sure it won't be easy, but it will be worth it!!

Hope you're having a restful weekend. Keep us posted on how things are going and continue to take care of yourself!

Summer