Anyone Take B-12

gertie

I've probably tried every vit supplement twice & have had a problem with all of them. Since dr said I was deficient in B-12 I'm trying again. I have 3 different brands, all S/L. I took only 1/4 of a 1000 mcg tab methyl B-12, which I'm told is the best, & I got heartburn, & sweating. I don't believe this is possible yet I'm experiencing it. Does anyone take B-12 & what kind do you take? Thanks for sharing.

I take Nature Made Super B-Complex. I love it-- no side effects, which is rare for me! I take it with food every day and have felt improvement while on it. It has 15 mcg of B12, as well as other B vitamins, vitamin C, and seems to be just right for my needs.

It can make your urine neon yellow, so don't be surprised if you try it. :blink:

I take Nature Made Super B-Complex. I love it-- no side effects, which is rare for me! I take it with food every day and have felt improvement while on it. It has 15 mcg of B12, as well as other B vitamins, vitamin C, and seems to be just right for my needs.

It can make your urine neon yellow, so don't be surprised if you try it. :blink:

FYI I think the yellow urine is caused by the riboflavin :)

I haven't heard that about no B-6. It usually says to take B complex so you will get a balance of all the B's. B-1 or B-2, can't remember which, supposed to prevent migraines but neither of them worked for me. It's trial & error usually error for me and supplements.

I started taking b-complex at the same time that I started other medications, and noticed a significant lessening of my symptoms. I assumed this was because of the prescribed meds, and when I ran out of vitamins I just didn't take them for about two weeks - and my symptoms got much worse!! So now I'm religious about taking it. I take a regular b-complex (Wild Harvest brand); it's 50 mg total with 50 mcg of b-12. I have no negative side effects (except for the neon yellow urine!), but I don't really have an unusual drug sensitivity. I do always take it with food, which might help.

Does anyone know - does the neon-yellow urine mean my body isn't absorbing all the vitamins? And if so, is there a better way to take it (maybe take half a pill twice a day?) in order to absorb it better?

I also know there is herbal tea with b-12 only. If you have trouble tolerating it in pill form, maybe try the tea?

jump

I started taking b-complex at the same time that I started other medications, and noticed a significant lessening of my symptoms. I assumed this was because of the prescribed meds, and when I ran out of vitamins I just didn't take them for about two weeks - and my symptoms got much worse!! So now I'm religious about taking it. I take a regular b-complex (Wild Harvest brand); it's 50 mg total with 50 mcg of b-12. I have no negative side effects (except for the neon yellow urine!), but I don't really have an unusual drug sensitivity. I do always take it with food, which might help.

Does anyone know - does the neon-yellow urine mean my body isn't absorbing all the vitamins? And if so, is there a better way to take it (maybe take half a pill twice a day?) in order to absorb it better?

I also know there is herbal tea with b-12 only. If you have trouble tolerating it in pill form, maybe try the tea?

jump

The neon-yellow urine is a harmless side effect of the riboflavin (vitamin B2). Don't believe it has anything to do with lack of absorption.

Hi,

I haven't heard/seen anything on B6 being bad. Interesting! I will have to pay attention to see if I find anything on that...

As far as B12, I take the daily multivitamin, and tried but was not good at taking it very well, the NatureMade B vitamin Complex, I had no side effects- I just didn't like another pill (it is kinda big and they smell...).

I recently spoke with the neurologist about trying something like Cerefolin, that has B12 etc. And was prescribed Folbic, a generic that is supposed to be along the same lines. I haven't started yet, because of just starting the Adderall. I will start it in the next few days...

Watch the ingredient list and try to get one that is "cleaner" without extra additives that can cause reactions like yeast etc.

Also, did it have niacin (B3) in it? If so, make sure it is the non-flushing (or whatever they call it), because it causes vasodilation, flushing, and sweating. Which could probably cause heartburn. Also, make sure to take it with food!

Also, maybe the injections would be better for you? I wonder if you can be allergic to it (or the delivery system used in the pill form?).

I hope you can find something that works!

I have taken Nature Made "Super B-Complex" in the past. I still have about half of the jar of vitamins left because I'm sooo bad with taking them every day. I end up taking my vitamins every other day for awhile, then slowly forgetting about them for weeks...Its bad I know. I'm going to have to try taking them everyday for awhile to see if they make a real difference! Like many of you, I have not had any problems after taking this supplement except the neon pee, haha.

i give myself an IM (intrramuscular) injection of B12 weekly in my thigh. if there's someone else around on the day it's due (i.e. doctor or nurse) i'll occassionally get it in my arm instead as my thighs can get weary of all the pokes (i have to give myself other shots there too...at times up to 4 times a day). the B12 shots don't particularly "help" me in that they don't improve anything, but the one time several years ago that i became quite deficient my peripheral sensory neuropathy was quite a bit worse. so...in a round about way i suppose that i am "better" with the B12 than without.

as an FYI re: the discussions about injections vs. sublingual, generally speaking sublingual B12 is just as effective for most people. unless you have a specific problem hindering B12 absorbtion (i.e. pernicious anemia) or an extremely severe GI situation (i.e. dependent on IV nutrition &/or jejunal tube feedings) there's usually no reason for injections, at least not on a long-term basis (as they are sometimes used short-term to correct a serious deficiency most efficaciously).

hope this helps,

:P melissa

In general, I"ve heard that capsules are easier to absorb than tablets--esp for anyone with absorption issues. If you think about it, the capsule will quickly release its powder. If it's a tablet, it may just sit in your stomach, or pass through, not broken down. I often get twinlab brand, as they are capsules and hypoallergenic.