Going Against My Doctors Orders?

kwalk

I definitely have ADHD. I'm getting really hyper lately and I'm actually happy. I've gotten a lot of support and I'm really getting myself out of this depression.My energy is and out, but so be it- that's pots. I went to my nurse practioner today, and she told me she thought I was so much more alert and agreed that I definitely do have ADD, and I told her I was pretty happy lately.

Before this whole incident, she tried me on cymbalta, it reved me up and I couldn't sleep.-- Ended up getting more depressed.

For some odd reason even though I'm happy she still wants me on Lamictal, but I honestly don't think I need it. I hate how they insist to throw meds at you. I'm just an ADHD kid who has so many **** thoughts and doesn't know what to do with herself having to sit around most of the time and getting bored out her mind. I actually tried some of my dexedrine today, that was prescribed to me a few months ago, and it felt so good. I didn't mind sitting around- I started educating myself, everytime I worried it was much easier to brush the thoughts off, because my mind was much more calm. I could tell the difference which was pots and which was ADD because I day dream almost all the time already. It's weird for me, my mind all of a sudden stops, and I'm still there- this time I can actually notice it.This is why I'm really pushing myself on the stim, because I'm practically gone all day long and can't take it. My body did get a little bit shaky but it wore off and as long as I didn't worry about it I did fine.

Anyways, I was just going to not take lamictal and let everyone think I'm taking it. It doesn't necessarily benefit with pots in particular, and clonidine is really helping lower my heart rate, so I don't see the point. I am planning to keep taking the dexedrine. In two weeks at my next appointment I was going to tell my doctor I experimented with it a few days and I did really well.... is this wrong of me to do or do we really have to fight our doctors sometimes?

Sort of depends on your doc. Some will really frown upon it, others don't mind. It depends on what you are doing too, stopping something that doesn't work is often fine, if you know why you needed it. It's not such a big deal to re-try what you were prescribed it in a past.

I'm ADD too and impatient, I am trying harder to give meds more time. If that's doing well for you for a few days, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about it. I hope it does continue to work well for you.

I am blessed with a great doctor now.

but many of my friends are not...ALWAYS QUESTION the doctor...if they can't take it (It affects their ego!!) Find another doctor.

Many people have meds thrown at them in a one sized fits all mentality..this goes from female hormone replacement to the SSRI du jour for POTS doctors to throw at patients to docs determining what upper or downer to throw at us.

if YOU are feeling improvement, and your moods, go with that hunch. Do not take UN NECESSARY meds...least that is my theory.

I must announce, I am no doctor but I have seen and met and heard of many doctors giving horrible advice and over prescribing medication. Go by your gut. You know your body better than your own.

Unless of course you have bi polar (Lamictal is also a bi polar drug) in THAT CASE call doctor and wean yourself slowly while making any med changes due to some salt changes in bi polar meds.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

B)

I think that it is important as a patient to be involved in the decisions about our own treatments - after all it is us that has to take the meds. It is ok to disagree with a doctor and not want to take whatever med they are advising - however I would recommend being honest with your doctors and telling them which meds you are taking and which you are not. If they don't have accurate information they could make a decision that may be harmful for you.

You are in charge but let your docs know what you decide.

Flop

Personally, if I'm not going to follow what the doctor is suggesting, I say so to them. For example, one of my docs was insisting I needed to take an oral medication for osteoporosis that I'd tried before and made my guts insane. I told him "That drug is not an option, I will not take it again." I also have turned down my pain mgt doctor's rx for a long acting morphine--he gave me the rx but I told him I would not be filling it b/c morphine makes me very nauseated and gives me a wicked headache. He was a bit frustrated with me and said "I don't know what else to do then." to which I replied, "That's okay, I just wanted to make sure that I ruled out everything that could possibly help." He seemed to understand that.

Nina

Psychotropic drugs do not need to be played around with- this can be extremely dangerous. Your doctor needs to know exactly what you are and what you are not taking. There may be some other drug that can replace the one you feel is not working. A good relationship with your prescribing doctor is crucial. Some medicines can be stopped easily but this classification of drugs are not them- please discuss this with your doctor before stopping or changing your dosage. I say this because you state you have ADD- I sincerely hope you are seeing a psychologist and/or psychiatrist to insure this is the correct diagnosis and that your medicine protocol is appropriate.

I apologize if this sounds curt- I am a former therapist and cannot tell you how dangerous it is for a patients to stop taking their medicines without consulting their physician. Just be aware this is not like stopping an antibiotic or other medicine. When you start dealing with mood-altering drugs- that is when you get into a very scary and dangerous area. Please be careful.

Carmen

As an RN, I agree that it is important for your doctor to know what meds you are taking and what you are not. Also, if you are unsure why he/she is perscribing a medication for you, ask for clarification. It is your body and you need to understand what you are taking and why.

If you decide not to take a med tell your doctor. He/she needs to know what you are taking to manage your care, to prevent drug interactions, as well as being able to suggest other possibilities if you feel a certain medication is not appropriate for you.

I know lamictal is also used to control seizures. Even if someone isn't taking it for those reasons, stopping it abruptly , from what I"ve heard, could trigger a seizure, even if you're not otherwise seizure-prone. I would definitely work WITH your doctor to discontinue.

I'm still trying to get off keppra (an anti-seizure drug given for my migraines), because it doesn't work and affects my mood in a bad way. But because I'm already having odd neurological symptoms, I've agreed not to stop it until my doctors and I finish sorting out what my neuro episodes are about. I'd be pretty unhappy if I stopped cold turkey (believe me, I fantasize about it!), and triggered something much scarier than the drug's side effects.

i am also someone who likes to limit what meds I take, but definitely best to do this collaboratively. Find a doc who will collaborate/listen.