Anyone Experience Hearing Loss From Lexapro?

tiger

I have been taking Lexapro for POTs for 1 1/2 yrs now which is the only medication that has ever helped my POTs. After a while I started to experience some ringing in my left ear and dull sound. Then my right ear started to bother me. I stopped the med, and when I continued it again I had ringing and pain in my ears. Told my doc and he said that it can't cause hearing loss, he always dismisses everything I say so am looking for a new doc anyway. Now I am very miserable with my POTS, mostly laying flat and feel like I am at square 1. I can't take beta blockers since they caused MG symptoms that I still have.

My son's been on lexapro a few years as a part of his treatment for NMH/NCS. Like Morgan's son, he can't miss a dose w/o severe consequences. However, he's reported nothing re. a hearing loss or difference. He often plays his electric guitar REALLY loudly. If he did have hearing loss, that would more likely be the culprit :-)

Have you tried a different SSRI to see if you have the same weird side effect?

Julie

the most common cause of sudden hearing loss is a viral infection that knocks out the nerve... my brother in law lost his hearing in his right ear from a virus the same week I lost my sense of smell from a virus.

I don't think it was from a virus cause I am still having ringing and problems for 3 months now and it was worse when I tried to take the Lexapro again. It started in my left ear and now in my right too. I tried a decongestant at the beginning thinking maybe I had some extra fluid built up from an ear infection, but had no relief.

My reply is not in regard to Lexapro, but I have started experiencing ringing and buzzing in my ears too. It seems to have started after I started taking Florinef a year and a half ago. I thought there was a connection there but maybe the ringing is a POTS thing. Who knows. Anyone else out there?

I took lexapro for a short time, and I do have hearing loss, but mine is hereditary. if there was a connection between the two, I wouldn't have noticed it. I've never heard of that as a side effect. Hopefully you find a new doc who actually listens to you.

Meg