Driving Restrictions

colejr08

I am a local commercial truck driver diagnosed with Neurocardiogenic Syncope. I was told by my last two Dr's that I am not permitted to drive commerically or my personal verhicle. I was wondering if anyone else has received such a restriction? I am becoming frustrated because I have tried several meds and they are not working. I am concerned about my career and my livlihood being dependent upon my ability to drive.

Yeah, I am going on 5 years without drivers license, you have to be free from having a spell for how many months your state says necessary to get license back. You have to fill out reports at intervals. Mine will come up the 4th of November for my six months, as it is stated in Iowa Law. They treat it like epilepsy or something similar where you lose conciousness.

Hope you get something worked out.

Shelby

I deal with this also. My doctor told me in Feb to stop driving. I'm in Alabama, our law is you have had to go a 6 month period without losing consious. It is frustrating for me on my good days. I no longer can physically work so I don't have to worry about getting back and forth to a job, only everything else. I am sorry your work depends on this. Hopefully medication will do the job.

Paige

I wouldn't think a dianosis of NCS should cost you your license. If you have lost consciousness, that is different though. Considering that you are stating that you haven't found meds that work, that may be the case. Have they considered a pacemaker? I know that is horrible news, but it could keep you from passing out and would allow you to continue driving.

I haven't lost my liscense, but my Dr. and I have an understanding that I will not drive until we agree that my symptoms have improved. It appears that when I am driving my symptoms are at their worst, possibly because I am in a seated position and my blood pressure drops. We have discussed a pacemaker, but I think the Dr. needs to exhaust the mediciation options first. I have heard both good and bad about pacemakers working for this condition, but yet that is the case with most treatments.

Just in case anyone decides to drive anyway...You might want to check your car insurance. The company that my hubby and I use (which is the cheapest we could find!) has a section where you have to sign if you have had any neurological, cardiac conditions, history of head injury, seizures, or syncopal episodes.