If You Are Able To Exercise....

runningshoe

as long as my legs are moving and I don't try to bend, crouch, etc., I can go for quite a while... I ache like crazy the day after, but I work hard at NOT letting that stop me. My cardiologist complimented me on my dedication and how much it's really, really helped me from getting any sicker.

Nina

I push myself to the limit, unless I'm passing out or throwing up or losing my eyesight then I don't quit... and even then I usually stop for a little while and then try again. Because if I don't exercise I'm homebound and unable to do much of anything. Sometimes I'm fine for the entire workout with no symptoms and other times with symptoms just a few minutes of starting the exercise.

I am unable to exercise. :(

Tried several times just to walk but came back exhausted with a severe tachycardia lying down, with nauseas, dizziness, etc...

I tried the Stress test some time ago, but was unable to walk on the treadmill... I started getting symptoms, presyncope, etc. but the Cardiologist wrote down that I was unable to exercise (I think it is said Intolerant to exercise or something similar).

Tessa

Great topic Jen!

I find it depends on the day...some days are good, some are bad. I can generally work out pretty well though. I go to the gym 5 days a week...but workout at my own pace.

For cardio I just walk at a 3.5mph on the treadmill, that gets me up between 145-170 (so sometimes I drop down to 3.2 to get HR back down). I can handle about 30 minutes then I am done.

Weights...I do all normal weights...pretty heavy, actually for a girl. :( But instead of the 30 second break between I rest about 1.5-2 minutes between sets. It takes longer to work out then a "normal" person...but at least I can still work out!

Although I don't always get the energy boost afterwards, with the POTS I find it often makes my tired. But I still feel better overall. I love to exercise as much as I can within my limitations!

My advice would be to start slow, see what you can do, rest between exercises when you need to, and above all just listen to your body. Even a little bit of exercise is better than none at all. Good luck!

I find that my exercise tolerance varies a lot. I have good patches where I am relatively well for a few weeks and generally during those patches is the best time for me to exercise. But I do get a lot of day to day variation as well.

When I am doing well I can just make it through a 45 min tap dancing class. The class is very gentle and relatively beginners level and not too energetic (there are quite a few ladies > 65years in the class). There is no way that I could do one of the energetic dance classes I used to do a few years ago.

On a less good day like today I struggle to make it up a flight of stairs (heart rate went from 85 to 196 climbing the stairs this evening, then I had to sit and rest, catch my breath and wait for my vision to come back before I could unlock my flat door and get inside).

On a really bad day I get dizzy and pre-syncope just sitting up in bed or trying to walk the 10 feet to the bathroom.

I wonder how I'll be on Wednesday for my dance class?

Flop

The ONLY type of exercise that I can tolerate and that my doctor will authorize is swimming, and even then he insists on it being limited to once a week WITH a physical therapist. I had three PICC lines continuously for the past 1.5 years, so I had to take a break from it entirely, but I just had my last PICC line pulled and was switched to a port, and I'll be de-accessed for about six hours once a week, so I'm going to start back up with it ASAP.

I've also heard that some POTS people have had success with recumbent stationary bicycles. For me my bones and joints are just too fragile for it without being supported. I hope you find something that works for you, though!!

For the most part I'm fine. There are definitely days where rock climbing is difficult because of dizziness and becoming dehydrated. Last summer I was working manual labor at 14,000 feet and I had to be super careful; getting enough fluids, salts, rest, etc. I just started running because I'm out of climbing due to a partially torn rotator cuff, and I have found that I do not feel symptomatic at all until I start stretching because my head is below my heart and I have lost fluids and salt.

Wow, thanks for all the replies - I saw names of folks I have never seen on this forum. Keep 'em coming! I try to go to curves 3 times a week and walk on the other days.... It just seems that after 30 minutes, no matter what the workout is, I start to feel like I am fading. I try not to push beyond that point - my first "lights out experience", in fact my first clue that something was wrong with me, was after a run Maybe some day again.....

Like a lot of others, it really depends on the day. Sometimes I cannot do anything even mildly strenuous and even standing or walking around in front of my class brings on the dizzies.

But, when I feel good, I go with it. Generally I walk a lot: am now up to about three miles in 45 minutes which my Doc reckons is pretty good. I am thinking of joining a gym. But I don't want to do heavy weight training as that seems to make me more symptomatic. I've found pilates is good too which I can do for about 30 minutes and then get up very, very slowly. I find the breathing control that comes with that is helpful--probably more to do with the stress release than anything else.

Overall, I think I feel better because I feel those endorphins pumping through me and I seem to have some muscle or body memory that goes back to the halcyon days before I got really symptomatic and I was very fit and exercise was almost like a drug.

Incidentally my doctor just gave me a copy of a study stating that exercise is just as powerful as many anti-depressents!

India

I should also add that I can't do exercises that go from crouching, lunging or kneeling to standing, or I will get very faint and tachy. My trainer has me go from lying down to sitting, then to standing, so that I don't get woozy.

Nina

My exercise schedule definitely depends on my symptoms...although I do find that when I can exercise I feel quite a bit better...it helps a lot with the brain fog. If I'm feeling okay, I can usually get on the eliptical for half an hour or so at a pretty good speed. I just have to be sure I pay attention to what my body is doing and drink a LOT of fluids. I don't know if it's a POTS thing or a me thing but I sweat a lot, so I have to be extra careful to not get dehydrated when I work out. And when I do work out, I go with a friend, just in case something were to happen. This is kind of rambly...but I hope it's helpful! Meg

Hello,

My dr. recommended that I swim for exercise. It really is great - I feel much less symptomatic while in the pool than an exercise such as walking. I've slowly worked up over the past 2 years from 1 lap to 12 laps (12 laps takes me about 25 minutes). I mostly swim the backstroke as it's easier and I don't get dizzy from having to hold my breath.

As many others I have good days and bad when it comes to exercise. Some days exercise is a lot harder than others and some days it's not even an option (I'm too weak).

As another person mentioned the recumbent exercise bicycle is my other option because you're almost laying down.

I've been impressed by all of the responses by people who exercise intensely and frequently, wow!

Take care,

Lisa

Hi my doctor recommended walking 4 times per day. Sounds crazy, but I started at 5 minutes and now I am up to 15 minutes each session. So I just can't believe that I am doing it when prior I was very tired and weak and more than 10 minutes would do me in. Now it was recommended to help my mental health to create more endorphins. Someone earlier pointed out that this treatment is very effective for depression, I can vouch for that. But I surprisingly found that my POTS symptoms also reduced. Head spins were reduced and my recovery rate has improved. The first walk is at 8am, and this is my worst time of day, 8-10am. Somehow my walks have reduced my symptoms. So I am pretty happy for the first time in about 5 years!

Suzanne,

Thanks for sharing about your walking and the improvements you've seen! I forgot to mention that although exercise is very difficult at times I too have seen improvements ever since I started. I have fewer crashes and when I do crash it is not as long.

Lisa

Exercise has helped me a great deal. I started with 5 minutes swimming each day. At the end of the summer I liked it so much that I bought a wetsuit and have continued to swim all winter. I built up over about 9 months from 5 minutes 5 or 6 times a week to now where I can exercise about an hour 5 or 6 times a week. I vary it a lot--some weight machines at the gym (the upper body ones give me the most symptoms), I ride a bike outside, I take 2 pilates classes a week, and I walk if it is a "tired" day. It has helped me enormously and I have been able to cut down my meds.