I Hate Adrenaline

maryfw

Ok as if the mornings are not hard enough for those of us with Pots/NCS, this morning (7:45) I had to meet with our board of directors for our company and the CEO of our company. I work for a regional banking institution and we are in the top 100 banks in the nation. So I had to stand for about 5 minutes before I could speak and my NCS was acting up this am just from getting out of bed so by the time it was my turn my heart was pounding and I was seeing spots. I know that it is normal to be nervous in these situations but for us it makes things 10 times worse because the ncs causes nerves and the nerves cause ncs...............ugg....................I am just glad I did not pass out in front of all those IMPORTANT people and for that I am counting my blessings!!!!!!!!!!!

mary

I MADE IT!!

I work for a very good company with very kind and caring people, even our CEO so I am very fortunate. I'm sure though however there would have been questions about my abilities if I cannot even handle a short presentation. My immediate boss was there and he knows about my issues but I have never been so specific as to tell him everything that effects me. If he had know that I needed a chair he never would have placed me in that situation. My error for not telling him but I am still learning my disorder and what triggers it and speaking in front of VERY important people EARLY in the morning while STANDING definitely does it.

I am unique in that I dont think any of you have the same problem with driving that I do. When I am in a car I CANNOT accelerate fast or my bp drops. I have had to learn to tell my boss and coworkers up front when I get in the car with them about my issue so my boss does not about that. I cannot drive though steep hills fast because that causes my bp to drop and when I am having a really bad day even the small hills can do me it.

I am very fortunate though that I dont pass out completely, I just come close.

I still feel blessed and want to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

MARY

congrats mary on making it through.

i do want to encourage you - particularly after hearing how great your boss/ workplace seem to be - to not be shy about needing to sit if/ when it's an issue for you. if you're doing a great job overall needing to use a stool for a presentation, or even just having one available "just in case" is something that less people would probably notice than you even realize. if you really think you don't need it that's great, but i'd hate for you to push so far that you actually do become a fainter! and even if you're still upright but feeling poorly you aren't likely to perform as well as an employee.

i'm sure that you, your boss, & everyone else (unless there's someone gunning for your position!) would rather you give a great presentation leaning a bit on a stool rather than a less-than-great presentation standing. and even just having a stool available in the corner might lessen the anxiety for you, even if you never need to use it.

merry christmas to you too!

:) melissa

Hi Mary :)

I feel sorry for you having to go through all this... but I am glad that you shared your experience with us. It is the first time that I am able to read someone with a similar reaction to mine while driving... I knew it was related with POTS but I did not understand why it happened or what happened to make me feel that way...

You see, when I am in a car, accelerating, stopping suddenly... And above all, if driving through hills... I feel extremely dizzy, sometimes even with chest discomfort or pain. (It gets irradiated to the left shoulder too - but on less times). When it is really bad I feel as if I am going to pass out...

I wondered why. Even the Cardiologist had no idea... But you have given an important clue and it is highly possible that it is because my bp is dropping. Oh, my God! Finally the answer!

On bad days just driving (not on a hill) makes me feel dizzy, lightheaded, etc.

Because of this it is already one year or more that I have not used the car myself, I mean, I do not drive (I can but I do not feel healthy enough to do it).

Have you been told how to avoid these symptoms or to relieve them? I wonder if we can do something,... Drinking more water, increase salt before driving... ?

I know this may sound strange but you have given me a Christmas present by resolving the reason for feeling so bad while driving.

Thanks, Mary I wish you a Merry Christmas too and a healthy New Year 2008!

Take care,

Love,

Tessa

P.S.: Are you being treated? What do you take?

Tessa. I have never had a doc understand it either but I have suspected that it is POTS related and one day last month I noticed that the little hills were bothering me and later that night I had a near fainting spell so I am just putting two and two together. I think it is a Gravity thing. Even if I cant get a doc to understand it or agree my body tells me it is POTS. I also cannot do boat rides because of the waves or air planes because of the rapid acceleration on take off. I am just learning what my body cant handle and try to avoid it at all costs.

So I am glad I shared. and Merry Christmas to you too.

mary

Tessa and Mary,

Stop-and-go action in a car really bothers me. It doesn't bother me nearly as much when I'm driving. But the lurch lurch lurch gives me a headache, makes me nauseous, lightheaded ... ugh. I think it's good I don't live in Los Angeles! I think it's not as bad when I'm driving because then I know in advance what my body is going to feel because I'm in control.

It would be interesting to know if it is a blood pressure thing. I just thought it was an Amy-Is-Weird thing.

Amy

I agree, Mary. Cannot travel by boat and plane too. Even by train is difficult.

Could be gravity, who knows?

Because going by plane made me feel so sick, on the last time that I had to travel by plane, I was recommended to use a special "medicine" used to avoid dizziness when travelling... A few minutes after taking it I felt asleep. It was a strange sleep similar to when you pass out. I was completely unaware of what was going on around me. There was no way to awaken me. I slept the whole journey and only awakened by myself... When landing... (I think I am developing a hypersensitivity to some drugs)...

Hi, Amy Stop-and-go action can make me feel very dizzy in a car, train... You are right, Amy, it is not as bad when I am driving too.

It would be interesting to know if it is a blood pressure thing. Has it been checked by someone on the forum?

Before knowing and because doctors had no idea why this was happening, I thought it was related with POTS but wondered if it was a Tessa?s special POTS symptom.... ;)

Well, at least now we know that we are not alone...

Maybe this could be added to the symptoms page of DINET?

Have a nice and safe Christmas

Love, Tessa

Glad you made it through. I always struggle with do I say something before I feel funky or wait and see if it happens....Driving is not a problem these days for me but hills make me feel wierd. I am glad to hear its not just my imgination.

Sending holiday and healing messages to all!

Mary,

I'm glad you made it through the meeting. I know you hate the adreanaline part, but you may have that to thank for getting you through the meeting without passing out--- :lol: . I hate it when I get those surges, but this is what happens when I push too far.

Gravity is not our friend is it............. :)

I'm glad your employers are supportive, as that can make things more bearable.

Blessings, and best of luck to you.

Maxine :0)