Sneakers With Wheels

yogini

This may sound kind of crazy, but I have noticed that some kids these days are wearing sneakers with wheels and just sliding right by me on the street. Does anyone know what they are called and whether they come in adult sizes? I walk really slowly and struggle to keep up, especially when walking for more than a few minutes, so I was thinking these shoes might be helpful. I just wonder how much effort it takes to use them and whether they require balance like skating? They look really easy and effortless to use, but not really sure. Maybe just another kooky idea, but thought I'd ask!

It may be just me, but I think Heelys are the worst invention ever. I think in a couple years, they are going to start seeing kids with foot and/or ankle problems from them because of the way they have to stand to get them to roll.

I have balance issues, so I would not be a good candidate for shoes with wheels.

If you decide to get them, have fun! (But be careful)

Angela

Yes these ARE a HORRIBLE invention. I have balance issues as well.

The local news did a story on this several months ago that the ER was seeing injuries in children wearing these things.

They put the body at an odd angle to wheel on (back of heel as opposed to whole foot) and you often fall back and whack your head. I can NOT imagine wearing these but also have balance issues. I can trigger a spinning room some days by turning my head too quickly.

They truly should be taken off the market.

Thanks for the link. I think the shoes are as safe as rollerblades, but kids get hurt b/c they don't wear the safety gear. I used to love to rollerblade/skate but haven't attempted it since getting POTS. I don't particularly feel like wearing the safety gear either - it'd look pretty ridiculous while running my errands! I guess I will have to hold off on the shoes. Oh well...

I don't think they are quite the same as rollerblades. You have to actually stand on your heels to allow them to roll. With roller blades, you are flat-footed. That is why I think we are going to see children with foot and ankle issues later on. Because they spend a lot of time on their heels. I'm sure that puts quite a bit of stress on the foot/ankle/legs that isn't natural.

I object to them becaue I have trouble walking. Any way, shape or form....

BUT - when these kids plow into me (it has happened 3 times!) I want to shake the parents who allow them to skate around the grocery store!

Like I need help falling down!

Guest tearose

Hmm...

Maybe it needs some refinement...I like the idea of wheels and trying to cover more area in less time.

This makes me want to get a pair and pull out the walker(has four legs and wheels in on legs in front) and add wheels to the back and then someone could have lots of stability and a way to keep from falling. I pictured setting Gayla on a trial scoot down that grocery store asile...whoa! That would be kinda fun. Feeling the breeze on your face as you skate through the store.

tearose

I checked out a pair today and the wheels are inside the shoe and only a small part sticks out of the sole. The wheel is actually slightly in front of the heel. Although it rmay require leaning on the back of the foot, you don't have to stand all the way on your heels. I wouldn't personally be too worried about permanent foot damage from occasional use. And the balance would seem easier than skating since the wheel is so low. However, it's definitely not worth the risk of falling and hurting yourself. Hopefully they will come up with a better model in the future!

RGT,

Hi! I see you use MBT shoes. I ran across those at school/work. Anyways, just curious how ya like them? In what ways do they help you? And if I may ask, why ya got them? :) I have no idea of all the uses, most of my knowledge is back pain. So, as always, I am just full of questions! ;)

I hope they work for you!!!

i used to looovvveeee skating (rollers and ice skating).

the bad thing is, that while on holidays in hungary in 2000 i went skating with our oldest son and had to let myself fall as we came along a very steep path. to make a long story short my son (who can fall much better than i as i was very scared) didn't hurt himself while i broke my coccis bone completely off of the dorsal vertebra. surgery (one year later) helped with the pain but gave me full blown pots in return (i now recognise all that strange symptoms i've always had . . .)

please be careful out there!!!

corina :)

Hmm...

Maybe it needs some refinement...I like the idea of wheels and trying to cover more area in less time.

This makes me want to get a pair and pull out the walker(has four legs and wheels in on legs in front) and add wheels to the back and then someone could have lots of stability and a way to keep from falling. I pictured setting Gayla on a trial scoot down that grocery store asile...whoa! That would be kinda fun. Feeling the breeze on your face as you skate through the store.

tearose

Maybe a bunch of us could put them on and hang onto each other and have a "group skate"!

i LOVE the mbt shoes. I have two pairs - the sneakers and the sandals. I tried them after someone posted about them here. You can read about the technology on their website (I think it's just mbt.com), but it makes your legs work harder when walking, which helps to get the blood moving. I can walk faster in them and for a longer time. They are also supposed to tone up your legs, abs, etc and improve your posture, but I don't care much about that part. The drawbacks are that they're kind of bulky and pricey ($300). Someone at work got them for $100 over the web...but hers were dark green hi tops and, well, I can see why they were discounted! :)