compression stockings

Radha

can anyone recommend what the best compression stocking are, and where to order them? i dont really want anything that is too uncomfortable, and i'm also looking for something for the abdomen too.....to help keep all the blood from pooling after eating, thanks

Radha

I use Ames Walker brand, http://ameswalker.com/amwalsigcol.html

AW Style 218 2030 Opaque Microfiber Pantyhose

Sug. Retail: $59.00

Sale Price: $27.95, 3/$79.00

I have no affiliation with this company other than being a customer. Nina B)

:) I like brightlifedirect.com. I have 5 pair of knee highs for over a year now and they still give me what I need... support and vascular return. They have been a lifesaver for work and home chores.

Instead of abdomen support, I would recommend many mini meals during the day. I know it as grazing and it helps a great deal with POTS symptoms after eating. Mary

Dear Rahda, I would still wear the stockings, Even when I don't feel good and stay in bed, I'll still where the stocking for a while. Also, try flexing your legs, feet, arms. etc. Very light weights, 1 to 3 lbs are great. Do a few light leg lifts and stretches t keep your muscles from wasting and help the blood keep moving.

Good Luck, Blackwolf

Gravity's a powerful force, and blood does pool in the chest and abdomen when you're lying down (during sleep etc.) This is completely normal, and it happens to everyone. Blood doesn't pool in the legs too much when lying down--and compression hose wouldn't help with circulation. I was told not to wear them during the night, though like Blackwolf, I do wear them if I'm just lying down for a short rest. Compression hose helps the leg veins to constrict when you're up and walking around; this helps keep the blood flowing upward and back to the heart and brain.

I remember my cardiologist talking about what percentage of total blood volume pools during the night, but I can't remember the numbers. I did a quick google search with some key terms and came up with far too many hits to read... but here's one that had some information you may find interesting:

http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/rattler/46/veins.htm

Radha, do you have POTS? Why are you bedridden?

PS I wear Mediven brand and I've bought them at a medical supply store and through ameswalker.com. With a prescription, they're covered by insurance.

yes i have POTS and very low blood pressure and different viral and bacterial infections and just too weak, and have been sick for very long time, but getting worse recently.....thanks for all your replies i really appreciate the help, so i guess i wont bother with stockings. i'm 27 female by the way,

Are you on antibiotics yet for the bacterial infections you mentioned? I hope so! You'll be amazed at how much better you can feel with just a few doses. That and time and rest (not to mention plenty of fluids--try gatorade to get your electrolytes back in balance and to give you some energy) should cure the infections. I sure hope you can be back on your feet soon. And when you are (and please, trust that you will be!), definitely wear the compression hose! Why not order a pair now so they'll be waiting for you when you're ready to be up and around?

Take care--I hope you feel MUCH better soon!