Allergies--sigh--to Chocolate Now?!

mkoven

Around the time my ncs became more frequent, I also started kicking up the frequency of allergic reactions to drugs and food. Last night I made some hot cocoa, and within minutes I got itchy and my throat started tightening. I took 2 benadryl and it settled down. Sigh. Allergic to chocolate? How cruel is that! Every year the list of foods I'm allergic to lengthens. Sometimes I can try something again months later, and it's okay. Anyway, I'm just whining. There are more serious afflictions. But being allergic to celery just doesn't feel as sad as a chocolate allergy.

Guest tearose

This would be disastrous for me too!

Before you blame the chocolate... :P

could it be something else in the mix?

The sweetner, or the milk? Maybe you had bad marshmallows?

I am hoping you used a premade package and it was the preservative in the mix and NOT the chocolate!

Anyway, I feel your loss if you must let go....

sincerely,

tearose

Hi Tearose,

Thanks for understanding my reaction ): It must have been the chocolate, as I made it with milk (which I have all the time), sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is the only thing there I don't have all the time.

Oh well. Maybe when my body settles down I can try again--with benadryl on hand. I guess there will be no danger now of my polishing off the Halloween candy.

Guest tearose

Okay, before jumping to disastrous conclusions...check the cocoa powder!

Are you sure it was fresh? Are there any stabilizers or corn starch or preservatives?

I trust you will be careful...hey, are you sure you should be "self diagnosing"? :P

I really would be sad for you to have a chocolate allergy.

We will be here for you.

tearose

oh lord that bites.. i really hope that its an incrediant in the coco and not chocolate in general!

hope that you are feeling better...and have no more reactions like that...

Some cocoa powders are processed (or something) with alkali- I don't know what substance that means they come into contact with, but it might be worth trying some natural cocoa powder (not Dutch or alkaline).

Also, allergies can come on suddenly for foods that you've been eating forever, so I wouldn't discount the milk just because you've been fine with it before.

I'm allergic to celery, too, and you're right. Carob isn't that bad, though. I really like those carob-covered rice cakes- yum!

:) :) :P

Have you eaten chocolate within the past few days? Did you have an allergic response then? I doubt that developing a reaction to hot chocolate would translate into allergy to all chocolate-containing products. This would be a disaster, you right :). Cocoa powder may contain preservatives or other additives that you may have been allergic to. Finally, drinking hot liquids can cause vasomotor reaction - i.e. vasodilation from heat activates mast cells and can cause allergic-like reaction with itching, redness, etc. Hope you can still enjoy chocolate!

Yeah, not sure what's going on. I had the same reaction last night to totally different food--chicken. I hope I'm not going back to this weird thing I had a year ago where the act of eating itself would trigger allergic symptoms. Both times in the last two days it was in the late evening. We never did get to the bottom of my year-ago weirdness. For several months I would get itchy everywhere, my throat would tighten after eating, and I would feel faint. I ended up on prednisone, and then huge amounts of antihistamines. It settled down after a couple months, but no good answer. Yes, I am allergic to alot of things, but this seemed to be just some strange generic mast-cell trigger thing. the allergists didn't know what to do with me, other than steroids and antihistamines.

Yes, I hope I'm not allergic to chocolate...but something weird is up.

Maybe the heat is the trigger. When I drink or eat hot foods, I get some weird reactions at times.

There was a guy on Stories of the ER the other night and every time he drinks or eats cold foods, his heart rate bottoms out and he faints, due to a reaction of the vagal nerve. I would imagine heat might have the same effect on some people. It was pretty weird.

I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but I do like it now and then, so hope you can figure out what it is and that it's not chocolate! morgan

hi! I hope that you aren't having the same problem that you did last year, that you be awfull and super frustrating.

I wanted to add that I almost sreamed when you had a reaction to chicken. I'm allergic to chicken! My throat swells up and I get terrible hiccups. People think I"m joking when I tell them, but I have been tested