Potassium Suppliments

friday

I was just wondering if there is any way to take potassium besides hard pills? I had to begin supplements again. WHen I used to take them sometimes they would come out in the toilet. I had IBS and sometimes I get that with certain pills. So Some of them I have to chew or get a liquid version.

I was wondering if anyone else had this trouble with potassium and what they did. I don't' know if I can crumble them up maybe? I just don't' feel comfortable not knowing whether or not they are getting into my system. Since my Potassium is a little on the low side I want to make sure I get the benefit of the pill.

Hummm, my potassium supplements are a big pill, but they start to dissolve in my mouth. If I'm really slow at taking them they starrt to dissolve in my hand! Mine certainly wouldn't make it through to the toilet and I have VERY rapid digestion. It may just be the brand you are taking.

also, my doc monitors my potassium level so we know if I'm getting enough or not.

Good luck.

Potassium comes in a liquid form, effervescent or just a liquid. You mix it with juice or water. It peaks faster and drops faster, but is effective.

The pills that are coming out are being absorbed. All that is coming out is the shell, you have absorbed the potassium. Some pill shells are like that to make the med easier on your gut. The medicine is absorbed through the pill and then the outer shell passes on through. Klor Con (big orange potassium pills) are made that way.

If you have the capsules that are filled with the little white beads, you can pour them on pudding or ice cream or something to take them, but do not chew them. I found that very difficult as they go all over your mouth. So I take a bite of pudding or baby food put the pill in and swallow.

The powder and effervescent is not very pleasant tasting, but if you are worried, ask your doctor about them. Good luck....morgan

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread, but my Urologist wants me to take potassium citrate because I keep getting stones that do not pass. I keep having to have Lithotripsy. Are the potassium pills safe?

How often do you need blood tests to check the level?