Carrying On A Conversation Leaves Me Lightheaded... Anyone Else?

Tammy

Even when sitting down, if I talk a bit... more than just one worded sentences, I get lightheaded/spacey feeling. Any body else get this feeling? It's really kind of strange since I'm not exerting myself, just talking!

- Tammy

Sometimes when having a conversation and I am nodding my head I start to feel dizzy. Then I notice I am not able to think to clearly. It is not evident to everyone else but to me I am seaching for words and coming out with the wrong ones. Sometimes it even feels like my tongue is thick, like a drunk woman. It is not so bad that others notice it but I sure do!!!!!!!!!

mary

i have this too. i also get the shortness of breath to the point i can't finish the sentence. also, the word search happens and then my words start slurring or i stumble over them. like if i try to say the sky is blue it comes out the blue is sky. or sometimes i just stammer so much i go blah, i'll spit it out in a minute. in other words i have become a very good listener.

now appearring shy which i have never been.

Some days are better than others, of course.

I have a very dry mouth these days. It feels as if my tongue is thick as someone else said.

I do have trouble coming up with the right word at times and I stumble over simple words.

This is pretty sad since my primary job is speaking! Not as easy as it once was.

I think, at this point, it is more bothersome to me than to others. I don't think they even notice most of the time.

Thankfully!

Dari

Yeah, I get short of breath sometimes, or just have an issue trying to say what I am thinking etc. I also really have an issue with head nodding too much and making myself dizzy. I have to try to remember and not do it!

I also have a hard time with conversations if I am standing for a long time or am on some unstable surface (rocky chairs or rolling cushioned stools are awful... I lose my balance and feel really dizzy). :)

• 2 weeks later...

I definately get this too! To me, it is the most frustrating thing about POTS. Talking used to be my favorite activity and I used to be a very eloquent speaker. Now speaking is such a struggle...I don't have enough breath to get the words out, my voice feels weak, I constantly feel like I'm straining my vocal chords, my verbal memory is all messed up etc.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to help relieve some of these symptoms??

Oh boy--I hear you. This is so frustrating to me. I used to be able to carry on normal intelligent conversations. Now--- the words stumble out of my mouth. I feel like a bumbling idiot. I don't know why, but I get so exhausted--hard to keep on track. I'll be on the phone with a good friend catching up, I'll be ok for a bit--then I start stumbling on my words and thoughts--I get really tired. I say well, I guess it's time for me to go. I've been avoiding being with people who I don't know. I don't want people thinking of me as an air-head or basically incompetent.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late chimming in on this conversation since I just started this forum but wow! I was just talking with someone this week, actually trying to have an in depth conversation and was nodding my head when I got dizzy. I was having a really hard time concentrating and holding the conversation. I thought it was all in my head and that I was just being a whiner about how I felt.

Also, from reading the other comments I realize that it's the POTs that causes me to be out of breath when I try to talk and stand. And... my husband often gets upset because I talk too quietly and he can't hear me. I bet it's the same reason too. Wow, so many things are starting to make sense since I joined this forum and have been reading everyones posts. Thanks for sharing!

JJH

For me it depends on how I'm sitting. If I've got my legs up on the chair then I'm usually fine for a while but if my legs are down then I get the same feeling. I hate it b/c it's makes me panic that I might faint then that makes it worse too! ;)

I just came from an IEP meeting as a family advocate. This post has done two things for me. It has confirmed that I may be just a "normal dysautonomic" because asking a question to the group this morning was so symptomatically challenging. And this post has made me sad. Yet another proof of this condition.

But there is always good news. My family and friends haven't called me Chatty Cathy for quite a while.