Mri With Gadolinium

I have had a POTS dx for about 5 years now. It is pretty manageable for me at this point, but I am definitely triggered by a lot of things, including some medications and foods. A few weeks ago I had numbness in my left arm that lasted all day and then some intermittent numbness in my right arm over the next couple of days. My doctor wants me to rule out MS and has ordered an MRI with gadolinium. I have no problems with the MRI but I don't want the gadolinium because of fear of a reaction.

Anyone else really sensitive to meds/environment with gadolinium experience?

Also, my back has been really bothering me so I'm wondering if it is not related to that?

Thanks.

Elaine

I'm allergic to tons of medications, but I've never had a problem with gad and MRI--I've had at least 10 x without a single problem.

Nina

Hi...I am allergic to some meds, but had a MRI with gad and had no problem with it. Outside of the cold sensation when first injected I didn't notice anything...no reactions, no sickness, etc. I believe gadolinium is very safe...I asked my doc before the MRI and he said maybe 2% of people have had a reaction, and none of them was life threatening. Of course everyone is different, but if your doc knows your history and says its fine I wouldn't worry. Hope that helps!

I have had a reaction to Gadolinium. It was quite mild - just like an adrenaline surge - so for me that's nausea (awful in a tube), pounding heartbeat and a shaky feeling. Usually the adrenaline surge leads to stomach upset, but with the Gadolinium it didn't - which was good for me. All in all, it's quite safe and though I can't have it again (I'm sensitized to it) I would still recommend you get the injection. The most common side- effect - if there is one - is a mild headache.

Sara

Most people tolerate gadolinium very well. The main exception would be people whose kidneys are failing. The FDA just made the gadolinium-containing agents put a "black box" warning in the prescribing information about this. As far as I know, the warning applies only to people who have severe kidney disease or who are on dialysis.