Stood Up For Myself

yogini

I got a tetanus shot at the dr's this morning when I had my annual physical. I started to feel a bit dizzy right after, which got worse when I had to wait in the 90+ degree heat for the bus to get to work. When I got on the bus, the only seats available were the ones for the elderly and disabled - you are supposed to offer them up to the elderly/disabled if there are no other seats left. I never sit in those unless I really need to sit down, which I did. Of course the moment I did, two elderly women sitting across from me started making comments about how young people are really rude to sit in these seats and never offer them up. (Mind you, while they were making these comments THERE WERE STILL A COUPLE OF EMPTY SEATS on the bus! Even if there weren't, at that point I had no choice but to sit down.)

I sat there and listened to them go on and on for a few minutes, and then couldn't handle it any longer. I very calmly said, "Excuse me, I have an illness and I am feeling dizzy. I need to sit down." The women told me that they were only talking among themselves, and that their comments weren't directed at me. I responded by saying that it was not very nice of them to talk so loudly and it really seemed they WERE talking about me. At that point, the two ladies sitting on either side of me chimed in to support me - they were maybe in their 50s and felt that the snide remarks were also being directed at them. We had the last word, and I think the two culprits learned their lesson. I bonded with my new friends, and they both told me that they hoped I felt better as they were getting off.

Normally I get really angry or burst into tears in these types of situations - either that or I'm too stunned to think of the right thing to say. I'm proud that for once I was able to stay calm and stand up for myself. I thought you'd all appreciate the story since many of you have had similar experiences! ;)

Congratulations Rita!

having an "invisible illness" can be so frustrating. I get really embarrassed using disabled parking spaces even though I have a disabled blue badge. I feel less self conscious if I have my walking stick-seat with me as it makes people think that maybe I am disabled.

We need to keep raising the awareness of illnesses like POTS that affect seamingly healthy (and often young) people.

Flop

Congratulations! I am glad you stood up for yourself! I know it's hard for others to view a seemingly normal, healthy looking person as having a disability. My mom, who has FMS and CFS, has dealt with that for years. When I have problems I have had others look at me like I was faking or something...because they see a normal, healthly looking young woman. Flop is right...we need to keep raising the awareness of "invisible" illnesses, like POTS (and FMS). Good for you for sticking up for yourself...you should feel proud!

You go girl,hearing this made my day,hope it made yours.

I'm glad you stood up for yourself. Just because your young doesn't mean you don't need the seat!!! I'm just waiting for someone to do such a thing to me so I can ask them when they developed their x-ray vision to see my illness by just looking at my outside.

Good for you.

Nina