Trouble Swallowing?

Hi,

Lately I have been having a horrible time swallowing. Some of it liquids but I'm thinking that is allergies, but also when I'm eating food I start choking it back up...Anyone else have this thing going on too?

Thanks,

Jacquie

hey jacquie,

yep, i have trouble swallowing - both solids and liquids, mostly solids though.....it is very uncomfortable....not sure what could be causing it..........my doc thinks mine is probably from dysmotility problems in the esophagus and wants to do an esophageal manometry test on me to see if this is what is going on.... you could have esophageal dysmotility..........or, like you said, allergies could be a factor.

hope this passes for you...

I have problems especially with pills,I had a barium swallow test,that the doc. said was ok.I feel that my problems are a little lower than the swallow shows. Pat

jacquie

i have swallowing troubles as well.. I wonder if it connected in some way.. i know of a few other potsys who have swallowing troubles as well.. they must be a corrleation somewhere.. i think

my swallowing things seem to come in bursts.. i hope that you get some relief with this soon or find out waht it is

Just a quick word before I go back to bed as its 5 am in the morning here!

I have been choking for about 2-3 years now on and off .

My doctor thinks its Pots related becuase it only really happens when I get a very bad day , its really horrible and I have to eat so slowly in order to avoid getting food or drink stuck in my throat , it actually feels at times like my throat is being squeezed shut by something , most odd , and I'm not one to get panic attacks or any kind or have a fear of anything ( except spiders :( )

When this happens I choke and start to go bright red in the face , hubby's getting used to having to bend me over and pat my back to get food out again :( and its terribly embarrassing if you do it when your out or in company .

Having had Pots for so long now it appears to me that the longer you have it the more little things you pick up like this or losing your voice or pains in the face etc ................my what a wonderful life we all lead :P .

Willows ................keep smiling , it makes people wonder what your up to :(

Hi,

I'm wondering if this difficulty swallowing is all part of the whole dysautonomia thing - it seems to make sense. Would be a good question for one of our *expert* docs.

Until we get an answer, all I can tell you is that my son developed severe difficulty swallowing while hospitalized last May for dehydration and low potassium. It would take him all day to get down 8 oz of liquid, and we all know that doesn't work for POTS. They were about ready to discharge him to a nursing home or put in a feeding tube, when a neurologist prescribed Mestinon.

Mestinon is a drug that helps patients with myasthenia gravis swallow better. Some research has shown it to also lower the heart rate in POTS. It was miraculous. You might want to ask your doc about trying a low dose of this. You can search on this site for *mestinon* to get more experiences, including more details on ours.

Best of luck,

Dianne

Since my problem with swallowing was initiating the swallowing action, I've noticed that since i started on ddavp and my mouth is a bit less desert-like, I haven't had as much trouble with this.

I hope those of you with this debilitating problem of choking and not being able to swallow food and liquid find some help soon. :D