Pots And Your Teeth?

Only tooth problems I've experienced were most probably related to malnutrition and acid resulting from hyperemia during my 2nd pregnancy (lost part of a molar, just fell out ;) ) But did you try calcium/VD suppliments? My doctor gave me some due to the POTS.

Here's a happy thought though....it's actually better not to have teeth when you are elderly....it's easier for dental and mouth care! (A surprising fact I learnt in the LTC during the nursing clinicals).

So you might miss them now....but you might be thankful they're out of the way later on! :)

Guest tearose

Yes! Tons of problems with the blood supply to my teeth the roots, and I have had several root canals in the past several months!!! My dentist asked me to inquire while I was at Mayo because he thinks this is so unusual! ...I have the last root canal today in fact. ;)

The mayo doctor said he had no idea of what could be causing the tooth problem and when I asked about my theory of poor blood supply he said "could be possible but I don't know for sure"...

Hi - Add me in to the teeth problem category - Like TeaRose, I have had many root canals in the past 2 - 3 years and just yesterday, was at the endodontist because I have an infection in the roots of one of my teeth that he had to clean out and put me on antibiotics and after it clears in 3 weeks, is doing root canal on that tooth. I never had root canal problems until I had POTS. I asked him about this yesterday and he said that certain meds change the amount of saliva that go to your mouth as well as some meds affecting the amount of calcium you are getting and all of this contribute to the problem - He said he would do more research on it for me. Anyway, today my mouth is swollen and hurting a little, but otherwaise I am ok. Also, make sure when any of you go to the dentist, you get the novacaine without epinephrine in it. Its called something else, but if you ask for it , the dentists have it and it is better for us POTSY people. Happy Easter and last day of Passover to all of you that celebrate the holidays! Beth

I'm glad some one has brought this topic up. My Beth is 19 and hasn't had a route canal yet but has struggled with lots of cavities over the years no matter how well she takes care of her teeth.

The one major problem she has had is that her teeth want to shift. She wore braces for 6 years and now retainers. If she doesn't wear them faithfully her teeth want to move right away. It's like her jaw bone isn't firm. Any one else have that problem?

Brenda

Guest Eliza

I am so glad you posted this! I have been wondering this myself. I have always had perfect teeth with no problems or cavities, etc. Within the last year I have had 4 ROOT CANALS!!! (all 4 were the back teeth) It has been horrible and I don't know why this is happening. I have always taken very good care of my teeth and even the dentist has always commented on how great my teeth are.....then WHAMO!

I started having severe tooth decay around the time I started having my first symptoms. I was 3 at the time and my dentist told me I wasn't caring for my teeth like I should but I know I was brushing and flossing at least 2x a day. I ended up with something like 10 cavities at once. Since then, I've had on average 3-4 cavities per year. My doctors have told me it's due to lack of saliva due to nerve damage. I used to take the med salagen but didn't like the side effects. I try to get my teeth professionally cleaned 3x a year now and that seems to be helping. I also use biotene toothpaste for dry mouth.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I hadn't ever had a cavity until I got sick. I went 25 years without cavities and now I get a couple of fillings every 6 months. I brush my teeth quite a bit and floss faithfully. It's frustrating!!

Interesting post...

Lisa

I've never had any major issues, but my POTS really has just reached a severe stage in the last year or so. I've had a few small cavities over the years, the dentist says its because my enamel didn't form properly when i was young.

Definately something I'm going to keep a look out for now.

Dennis,

EDS is short for Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome which is a condition of faulty collagen (one of the connective tissues) due to defects in certain genes. There are several different types of EDS eg hypermobility, vascular etc. Try a wikipedia search for a quick source of further information.

There seem to be a lot of people on here with both POTS and EDS and I'm sure that there must be a connection but I don't think it has been proven yet. There are also specific patient sites for EDS.

Flop

EDS can have a lot to do with dental problems due to the faulty collagen affecting the gums---but POTS can also cause dental issues from the lack of saliva. Unfortunately I have both. I can sit and drink water, and my mouth is dry at the same time.

I have a lot wrong with my molars mostly---in fact I have to have one pulled. I fractured it, and it also has a cavity, but the structure around the tooth isn't worth an expensive rooth canal. I won't have any molars left on the lower right side when this tooth gets pulled, and I will need a partial. I'm awaiting insurance approval because it has to be done in a hospital due to my reactions to the local anesthetic. My system absorbs it causing a toxic reaction due to the EDS------------plus I have a very unstable cranial/cervical area--------the oral surgeon has to be very careful.

Thankfully the molar isn't real painful---just dull pain from the fracture. The dentist I saw previously filled a cavity under the bridge, and raised the bridge. When I was grinding my teeth one night I fractured the molar because the crown over that tooth that supported the bridge was up to high.

Maxine :0)

This is an excellent topic. I've appreciated reading everyones responses.

In the past 3 years (when my health started going downhill fast) I've had a lot of problems with my teeth, but haven't known why. For years dentists kept telling me what great teeth I had and what a good job I did of keeping them clean. Then all of a sudden I kept getting cavaties and dentists were telling me, "You really need to take care of your teeth." I didn't know what was going on. I brush, floss, and use floride. Why were my teeth getting so many cavaties?! This topic has shed some light on things. And it reminded me that I need to go back to the dentist....ugh!

Thank you everyone for your input!

Rachel

P.S. Dennis, you can learn about EDS at www.ednf.org

Has anybody's dentist recommended something that would help us to not get so many cavaties? It is especially difficult to keep sugars out of our mouths since we often have to drink Gatorade or have a snack between meals. But I've heard a dentist say that if we brush our teeth too much that it is bad for our gums and can wear enamel off. Would chewing on sugar free gum help? Or maybe swishing with Listerine after drinking Gatorade?

A basic rule I learned a while ago, is that SOME plaque protects the enamel. I typically wait a half hour after brushing before I eat or drink anything, including water.

Most mouth washes and gums contain some type of suger or alcohol in them, 'oxygenating' products do a better job of both protecting your teeth and keeping your breath fresh as things like sugar and alcohol just feed the bacteria. There are some natural types out there, I haven't gotten around to trying them yet personally, but I've heard good things.

I have lost my teeth due to EDS. I only have a few left but they will be gone probably within the next yr.

Has anybody's dentist recommended something that would help us to not get so many cavaties? It is especially difficult to keep sugars out of our mouths since we often have to drink Gatorade or have a snack between meals. But I've heard a dentist say that if we brush our teeth too much that it is bad for our gums and can wear enamel off. Would chewing on sugar free gum help? Or maybe swishing with Listerine after drinking Gatorade?

My dentist recommended Colgate Flouriguard Gel-Kam. It stops decay in it's tracks (though turns the decay dark brown) and also stops decay happening.

Most of my dental problems are related more to the EDS.

When I was born I had a super narrow palate such that they put a palate widener in (I was about 4 when they took it out). Then I had another one when I was 14, accompanied by braces, to correct an overbite, and basically now my bite is way off and helps contribute to the jaw pain and instability! LOL

As to cavities, I've never had any. When I was 16 or so the dentist put enamel fillings in my molars to help prevent wear on them.