Panic/anxiety - What Do You Take?

I would speak with your physician who knows you best. I have taken xanax in the past --yrs ago and found klonopin was longer acting for me. Had to take xanax too often. Again, everyone is dift. and some of the antidepressants also help with anxiety as well.

take care

A regular dose of Klonopin (0.25 mg 2x/day was what I took) is really the only thing that's ever helped me in the 13 years I've suffered from panic attacks. At one point I also took Zoloft, but it killed my sex drive and made me more tired.

Klonopin is somewhat habit-forming, so talk to your doctor about the risks/benefits. I also had some success with tiny doses of Effexor with breaking my hyperadrenergic attacks associated w/ POTS, and these are very similar to panic attacks in nature -- I would think the Effexor works to prevent panic as well.

Amy

Hi

Just curious, what made you think it was a panic attack and a pots episode?

My dr lets me take an ativan before bedtime. He said taking them on a regular basis during the day is not a good idea. He says studies show that ativan blocks people from forming new coping mechanisms. Other drugs are better. I will ask him more when I see him on Friday.

hi, My panic attacks began around the same time as my POTS symptoms so I think they were conected but not totaly sure. I tried Klonopin, began with a very small dose, about a quarter of a wafer, and I still felt to woozy to drive or do anything else safely. So I stoped it. I carried Xanax with me and if I felt a panic attack comming on, I'd take a quarter of one, and then another quarter if I needed it. It works wonders when a panic attack comes on out of the blue and your driving or something. It stops it in its tracks and helps to calm you down. A trick to taking it so it works immediatly is to let it dissolve under your tounge. It tastes horrible but works much faster. What really helped was when Dr. Grubb put me on celexa. We started at 5mg for a few weeks, and went up to 10 mg. My panic attacks and anxiety totaly went away! So did the rush feeling I was getting. It had a bit of sexual side effect and he added Welbutrin XL 150mg to be taken with my celexa. Both drugs worked fine for me. The first week or so on the celexa I remember I had some odd feelings, but Dr. Grubb said that ment it was working and the odd feeling would subside, and it did. The key was beginning with a very small dose and working up to what worked for me. I am so glad I stuck it out, life has been so much better without feeling those horrible panic feelings. I was almost housebound with fear of having one while driving or being out. I hope you find something that works for you. Take Care, Kim