Need Advice

Primetime

This post is similiar to my other one I know, but I am desperate for some help.

I need to exercise, but it makes me so sick. It's not really what happens while I am exercising. It is my system not calming down

after I finish exercising. It's like my system stays overstimulated. I get chest pain (main problem) and the breathlessness remains.

It can last for a couple of days. I get so mad and frustrated. Because when my system gets really over stimulated, I can't eat.

It just makes the chest pain worse. I don't get any answers from my doctor on this.

How do you all help keep this overstimulation from happening to you? What causes it?

I can't simply stop trying to exercise, because that makes my POTS so bad that I can't function.

Please let me hear from you.

Edited by MightyMouse
add subtitle

Guest tearose

You have to get to a place of peace somehow dear. First, try to follow your breathing and just sit and meditate.

Then, if you can, lay on your side and do three leg lifts. Rest, roll over and do three on the other side. Then rest again.

If you are as wiped out as you sound, you must be more patient with your body.

We DO understand how the body fights us, and we all have in our own way, been where you are. Some here are worse, some are better, but we do struggle every day.

Over time things do seem to get better for some. In my opinion, you can't expect your body to be predictable anymore. You can keep a positive hope that you will get stronger, you can work at more exercise and only hope that things will work out.

Don't do too much, break the exercises down into smaller pieces and hang in there.

take care,

tearose

I have noticed a similar problem, but not with exercise. When anything exciting or demanding happens in my schedule, I am almost always fine during the event, but I get the crash when the calming down part comes afterwards. Like, when I host a friend for dinner, I can cook, clean, and host, but then when it's over I know I will crash, and sometimes take many days to recover from, if not weeks. During exercise, however, I feel the fatigue immediately...I get the tachy and my blood seems to magnetize to my calfs, which then feel like lead and get painful. Breathing is difficult immediately. But other, more mild forms of physical exersion, I do well during but crash after. This is interesting to me becuase the Autonomic Nervous system has two main functions and related categorization of nerves and processes: excite, calm. Parasympathetic and Sympatheic nerves are different...and maybe one is more damaged/dysfunctional for us than the other.

I think that for exercise intolerance, we could, each at his/her own level of endurance, try different forms and degrees of stress...like, if we can't run, that doesn't mean we can't walk. If we can't walk, that doesn't mean we can't do laying leg lifts. Etc. Personally, I found that I can do a lot more with my arms than I can do with my legs. My arms are usually relatively strong, while my legs can basically tolerate a long walk once or twice a week, and the normal moving around the house stuff. Sometimes I find that I can do a few aerobic moves, here and there through out the day...but nothing longer than a few minutes at a stretch. I love exercise and I know my body needs to maintain any strength possible..so I just keep trying different variations in length, style, etc. I suppose cumulatively, there's a benefit.

Hi Primetime,

I am sending you a PM in response to your other questions, but I think the trick is to find the lowest level of exercise that does not make you so ill and work your way up from there. I know I mentioned it took me 1 1/2 years to work up to exercising, but for a whole year before that I did easier exercises. Can you walk for a few minutes each day or do stretching exercises? Or maybe even pilates for a few minutes each day?

-Rita

What meds are you taking? For me, I have to have a beta blocker to keep my heart from going crazy when I exercise. I know they say beta blockers will prevent the heart from climbing into the aerobic zone but it doesnt matter for me as I am able to exercise at an intense level. Now without my betablocker, inderal, I'm a mess.

I am not an expert on this, but I do think that while it's great that you're able to exercise some, finding a balance may help you maintain some activity while not getting so sick from it. Without a beta blocker, exercising does not happen for me, but now I find myself better at strength training than cardio. I have an amazingly awesome physical therapist, and I love her to death. Maybe physical therapy would help you find that balance?