Colonoscopy Problems

wibbleway

I had just started the wonderful day of cleaning my system out for a colonoscopy. The doctors had been worried about the laxatives on my system and they were right. One hour after the first dose, my blood pressure, tachycardia, and all other problems were awful. I was sweating one minute and freezing the next. I called my doctor and he said to stop the process and that they would need to put me in the hospital to be monitored to go on with the test. My question is, "Has anyone else had such a bad reaction to this?" Thanks you all!

Others who may not have posted in a while have posted THEIR doctors also put them in the hospital for the prep.

I had to hava a prep for partial hysterectomy and my surgeon gave me the option of going in the night before and I said NO THANKS..will try it at home and got tips on how to deal with things from my autonomic doc.

The prep can make a difference as well. I did ok with the bottle of stuff where you drank 8 oz 4 hours apart.

Folks who have to take the pills or drink lots of golytely, or halflytely or nulytely get vomiting from that stuff.

No matter the situation, it's good to be monitored but stay hopeful, positive and do what needs to be done.

It was impertative I was clean as a whistle for hysterectomy in case they nicked my bowel during surgery. I felt puny but drinking CHICKEN BROTH helped me more than anything!! Though the hospital broth I had after surgery was crummy. It's easier to ask for Chicken noodle soup and strain out the noodles! Taste better.

Good luck.

:)

The Doctor doing my colonoscopy won't do the prep without putting me in the hospital. She also said she won't do the colonoscopy without doing in in a trauma care hospital---(that surprised me)---probably due to my extreme sensitivities to drugs, low blood pressue from the POTS, and my recent diagnoses of sleep apnea---------which could be caused from the pressure on my brain stem, as I had over 51 respiratory episodes in three hours during my sleep. Respiratory issues and sedation drugs are not a good mix.

I was lucky in that my blood pressure dropped in her office to 80/50s, and she said she wanted to contact Dr. Grubb's office. So far she has not been able to reach Dr. Grubb. I called her office last week, but so far I haven't heard from them which is unusual, because they always call back. I must have gotten lost in the shuffle---I'll try them again.

I was told by this Doc that the drugs we take to control our symptoms are most likely not absorbed during the prep because they pass too quickly through the small intestine where the drugs are metabolized. She said my drugs will be given via IV.

So far I have been waiting a year to get this done----------partially my fault, being overwhelmed with other medical appointments. My brother was diagnosed with colon cancer last year, and the whole family has to have a colonoscopy. I want to just get it over with now.--- :)

Maxine :0)

I've had 5 colonoscopies and if the prep bothers me, I just slow down for a bit. I always go on a full liquid diet for a couple of days before the prep, then i only have to drink a few glasses of the stuff.

Sometimes I get bloated and cold, because the fluid is cold, but have never had any other problems.....It's just individual I guess.

The golytely prep is formulated so you don't mess up electrolytes, that's why it tastes so salty. I'm not sure, but I as sick as I am, I don't think my insurance would cover me as an inpatient for a prep. That's really being careful..... :)

Hi Maxine,

Our oldest daughter had a colonoscopy while awake during the entire procedure because of her blood pressure problems and the physician didn't feel safe sedating her for it due to that issue. It went along just fine and she did great. He didn't hurt her at all because he took his time. This might be a method for a colonoscopy for you incase they are concerned for your breathing during the procedure. I know most people, including myself, want to knocked out cold as a turkey before you have this particular procedure done but I witnessed this physician doing the one for my daughter and it didn't seem to bother her at all. It was the thought of it for her that scared her not the actual procedure as it turned out due to his patience & skill.

Good luck with yours and hope all goes well, I know the prep experience is the worst part.

I had a colonoscopy, but it was done some years before my POTS symptoms aggravated. Furthermore, it was carried out without sedation :unsure: I was fully awake during the whole process.

It was painful and not a good experience for me. I felt terrible when it all ended, painful and exhausted. Of course, they had no idea of what was wrong with me. The colonoscopy would have turned out much better if we had known before...

Drinking the stuff before was also really disgusting, though I mixed it with a cold juice (ananas)...

Wibbleway if he said to monitor the process in the Hospital, I think he really wants to help. That?s good news. I am sure it will be a much better process than the one I went through.

At least they know your health problems and are willing to act in the appropriated way.

I would feel very positive for it. I am sure they know how to deal with it to help you feel the best way.

Take care,

Love,

Tessa