compression hose

Hi, just wondering who has compression hose (30-40mmHg) waist high and if they work and are worth the money?. I was thinking about buying a pair ($115) and was hoping to get some input from those of you who have tried them. That's alot of $ to put out but if they work really well then they are worth it. Any input is greatly appreciated :)

Danelle

Hi Danelle,

I wear 30mm compression and I find them very worthwhile BUT it is impossible for me to year them in the hot weather.

If I am on my feet for longer periods of time and in air conditioning...wouldn't want to be without them.

On the other hand, sometimes I am too tired to put them on...they are lots of work to get on. I admit the more I use them the better I get at putting them on.

So, long answer, to yes...depending on your lifestyle and weather I think they are worth it!

Lorrell

Yes, they work for me. I think they are worth the money, but as the post above says, they're difficult to wear in hot weather.

Also, I need help getting mine on--hoisting those things is a workout in and of itself! :)

Guest tearose

I love my heavy duty 30-40mm compression hose...once they are on! I do spend alot of money on them but I'm very careful to mend a little tear when/if I get one so they last a long time! I think that the waist high panty hose are one of the three most effective ways for me to manage my dysautonomia. The other two ways are the compression garment from my thigh up to my abdomen and my heart rate monitor. I do all the other stuff too like drink water and monitor my electrolytes. You truly must allow time to pull them on in the morning before you get too active and you will feel the benefits about twenty minutes later! Let us know your results if you try them. tearose

Oh...fog moment... forgot to mention what Tearose already did; I use the waist high ones. Seem to do better with those than with the thigh highs, which felt like my legs were being strangled.

I was just thinking to myself, that between the bunch of us and our brain fog moments, we combine to make one good brain :rolleyes:

Nina

I've been wearing the thigh high compression hose for several months, and I LOVE them... I wore knee highs before a different cardiologist told me those were a no-no and that I should wear thigh highs or to the waist instead. They don't strangle my legs, and they stay up and feel great. (I use Mediven brand, "Elegance" or something like that.)

I can't bear to have anything tight around my waist, which is why I wear thigh high. (But I should add that my cardio strongly recommended to the waist...) I've been wearing 20-30 compression, and some days I wish I had 30-40, so I will soon buy a pair of those and try them out. Except for the extra labor everyone describes, I think I'll love those even more.

I do not find the 20-30s difficult to put on; I put them on before I get out of bed in the morning (taking them off to shower a little while later) and I take them off for the night after I'm already sitting in bed. They make a huge amount of difference in my energy level and in my walking, standing, everything!

I wore them non-stop on a hot-island-mini-vacation in April... and I've been wearing them in Chicago's heat. Yes, life is warmer with compression hose, but with a good attitude and adaptations in the other things you wear, you can still do great with them. (I wear really lightweight pants over the top and sleeveless blouses. An icy neck wrap for when it's super unbearable and would be too hot even without the hose...)

I wrote this once in a different post, but it's worth repeating again... IF you have health insurance, chances are excellent that you're covered at 100% for something like 2 pairs a year. (I was told "one to wear, one to wash.") It's under the "durable medical goods" category. Ask your physician--any of them--to write you a prescription or to call one in to your medical supply store (I use Walgreens Home Health).

Also, keep in mind that it's a good idea to buy your first pair at a medical supply store where you can get measured. (I guess you can measure yourself if you prefer to buy online...)

Let us know what you think, Danelle, if you give 'em a go!

I get the cheaper compression hosiery from Bright Life Direct. They really do help me. I've watched my blood pressure raise 10 points and my heart rate lower just from putting them on. They aren't pretty, but they do the job. Getting measured at a medical supply store and getting hosiery specifically for your measurements is probably the best way to go, but if insurance won't cover it and cost is a factor you might want to try Bright Life Direct's Allegro brand.

Michelle

I have the thigh ones and the waist ones. I prefer the waist high. I have skinny legs, but the thigh high ones squeeze me too much. I have about eight pairs now because I wear them everyday. I can feel a big difference when I have them on. AND you DO need to allow some time to put them on. I get hot and tired each morning, but they really are worth it.

I finally bought the waist high 30-40mmHg compression hose. This is day 2 with them on. Day one I was able to work for 4 hours :) I checked my BP at work and it was 106/70 which is wonderful for me!! Today I haven't had them on long enough to tell, still dizzy but I'm gonna check my BP in a little bit to see if they are keeping it up better. Thanks to all of you for your great advice to buy them. So far it has definately well worth the money :D (even though the insurance wouldn't pay)

Thanks again :) ,

Danelle

I have many pairs of them and wear them all the time while out. I have ordered the thigh high and also the panty hose. I like the thigh highs better for me because I have a lot of problems with my stomach. When I would wear the panty hose ones they made my stomach problems worse but everyone is different even if you have stomach problems. Dr. Grubb told me to get the panty hose ones because the do better for us but said in my case the thigh highs are good to.

They are really good specially if I am going to be on my feet for any length of time.

Like all others have said they are HARD to put on but worth it when you get them on. I did want to tell you also that it is really hard to put a hole in them or a runner in them. I have some pairs that are very old and still look new. So they do last forever in my case.

If you have any kind of health insurance you might want to check with them. Some insurance companies do pay for them and some don't.

I am glad that Michelle put that link on here because I know people have got them for a good price.

Good Luck with them,

Vickie

I've had a strange sensation happen to me when I wore my Jobst 20 - 30 Hg mercury support pantyhose. It was winter at the time and my legs felt uncomfortably cold and tired like they were not getting enough blood circulation. It's a strange sensation. Needless to say, I have not tried them in the summer. I told the doctor (who had written a prescription), and he had nothing to say. I suppose I could try a brand that's 15 - 20 Hg mercury instead of the 20 - 30? Or, maybe I was measured and was given a stocking too tight for me? I wish I had the same results as you all. As I've said on another post, I would LOVE to be able to sit (vertically) for a decent amount of time, and I was hoping the support hose would be part of the answer. But my legs felt uncomfortably tired and cold, and I did not feel any better when sitting.