Decongestants

JacobyD

Hi,

I rotate what I use. I will use the Breathe-Right nasal strips for a few days, the skin colored ones. The clear ones don't adhere as well. After a few days, the top of my nose gets sore from the adhesive. Then I'll use my Nasacort AQ (steroid)for a few days (from my allergist), then my Astelin nasal spray for a few days (also a prescription, a nasal antihistamine). After a few days of each, my nose gets more stuffed from being irritated by the spray. So then I stop using them for awhile. As a backup I also have Zyrtec (antihistamine pills) laying around the house which I use sparingly because of the side effects. And, oh yes, I sleep on an incline pillow with my own pillows on top. This helps a bit in keeping the nasal passages open. Also, I don't keep the windows open since I have allergies to outdoor stuff, and I use a Hepa air cleaner (if you have one) in my bedroom. I also keep the pets out of the bedroom, and also any dust collecting items.

Hope this helps.

I use guafenisen--which thins the mucous and lets it drain. The other thing is to rinse with saline--like I've said before, not a saline spray...a saline RINSE. NeilMed and SaltAire both make systems that are reasonably priced and easy to use.

I also take singulair and zyrtec every day.

The only thing is that I take the Zyrtec at night because it does make me a little sleepy.

Nina ;)

I take Benadryl for congestion, as I have noticed the anything considered a decongestant that contains pseudoephedrine always increases my heart rate. So I tend to stick to antihistamines for colds or allergies (although sleepiness is generally an issue). Saline sprays works pretty well for me too. I hope you find something that works for you!!

Thank you! Sounds like the saline rinse and/or Benadryl/Zyrtec should do the trick. I'll give them a shot. I tried the breath-right strips with no luck. I also tried keeping the dog out of the room with no luck! I do have a Hepa air cleaner that I am going to get out of the closet and fire up tonight. Thanks again!

-Dan

Dan, my allergist swears the hepa filter is useless. (we have one too) He has told me to shower before bed because it gets pollen and other allergens out of my hair so that it wont get all over my pillow as I sleep--and be aggravating to my sinuses.

The allergist also had me cover all my bedding with mite covers (mattress, box spring and pillows) and wash everything, mite covers and all, in very hot water to kill dust mites. We've been using only washable comforters with a duvet cover for years now...and in the Summer, we use a washable quilt.

Also, he also suggested not using any scented laundry products. ;) I love the "good smelly" stuff, so that was the toughest thing of all.

Nina ;)

Oh, Nancy, we must have been posting at the same time...I just realized you asked me a question...sorry B)

The rinse lasts anywhere from a few hours to the entire day, depending on how badly congested I'm feeling.

Here's the two systems I've used. I like the NeilMed one better, from my own experience, although the Salt Air system holds more fluid and is probably better in that regard.

http://www.neilmed.com/

http://www.natlallergy.com/allergy/product...nus_Relief.html

In combination with a mucous thinner, like guafenisen, and an antihistamine like zyrtec, it's really made allergy season tolerable for me. Okay...one other thing...my sinus surgery earlier this year has also helped a great deal as I'd usually already have a raging infection by this point in the season...so far so good ;) let's hope it stays that way!

Nina

I'm also a guafinesin/saline person ;) Sometimes I take Sudafed decongestant, but I take 1 pill instead of the recommended 2. It bothers me a little, but if the congestion is really bad I find it well worth it. I also use vick's vapo-rub. And sometimes cutting out dairy for a few days can help lessen congestion too. Oh, and my favorite, if anyone likes sushi, is a good dose of wasabi!

That's interesting about the hepa filter - bummer too cause I have one! And maybe I'll start washing stuff in hot water now. B)

Nina, a question about saline - I just have a little squirter and then I use it to put salt/water into my sinuses. Is there a benefit to what you're using?

Thanks, Pam

Yes, apparently it's the large quantity of saline that washes out irritants, bacteria, etc. The little squirter thing can actually help to spread infection if you can't clean it thoroughly between uses.

I probably use about 8 oz on each side of my nose per rinse. I make my own saline solution using equal parts of kosher salt and baking soda. My ENT has now had me add a bit of Batroban (mucoprin), which is an antibiotic ointment. He said I could do that or add a small amount of betadine--just a little squirt. He likes me to try that before using an oral antibiotic. So far, so good.

Here's a site that my doctor suggested to me--mostly because we may start me on the SinuNeb system soon. Nina

http://www.sinusitiscenter.com/studies.html

This site has a few links to articles...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/odp/Top/Shoppi...hroat/Sinusitis

and...because I'm a wine nut, I just had to post this one:

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Daily/Ne.../0,1145,2158,00.

Nina

sea salt is fine. You just don't want iodized salt. It's about a teaspoon of each per cup...it's nothing that exact. If it burns, add more water. If it's too weak, add more mix (if it's too weak, it's a unique sensation, but you'll learn to recognize it).

It's kept me in pretty good shape for a long time. Since starting rinsing, I've had much longer time spans between major infections. Also, it's really helped me LOADS during allergy season.

A final suggestion is to shower before bed during allergy season, especially if you use any hair products. Those products tend to attract dirt, pollen, etc. which you'd rather not have all over you face and pillow whilst you attempt to sleep.

nina :)

I was really glad to see this topic because I'm wanting to try something different this year. I usually get infections and last year we discovered that almost ANY antibiotic made POTS much worse.

I'm not familiar with guafinesin....what is it and where do you find it? Health store? Also, Nina you mentioned BAtroban(mucoprin). I think that is a prescription, isn't it?

Thanks for the good ideas.

fenesin (Entex is a name brand version) and mucoprin are both Rx items. My allergist has had me on this stuff for about a year. My ENT surgeon just had me start putting a small amount of the mucoprin into my sinus rinse--so far, so good. :(

Nina

BTW, I take the fenesin generic b/c it does not have sudafed in it, which the name brand items DO have (in addition to Entex, there's Duratuss--which is comparable). Most of the OTC "tussin" cold and cough remedies have some guafenesin in it too.

Nina

not sure... I can only say for myself: I have terrible allergies, which is the primary reason I were my medic alert bracelet--I have major medication allergies. I've had sinus problems since my 20's and finally had sinus surgery last year.

Nina