Cognitive Therapy Really Helps

persephone

Hey, I just wanted to say to folks like Ernie and Morgan who suggested CBT to me ages ago- you were right, although I totally didn't see it at the time! I've had sessions for 3 weeks now and it's been great- making a real difference- I realise that a lot of the time when I get bad with POTS it's almost like a diabetic hypo- rational thought just goes out the window- Drs have confirmed this for me too- the lack of oxygen makes us go stir crazy, I guess. Anyway, I'm SLOWLY working through how to handle the rubbish that POTs throws at me. Hooray! I only wish I'd taken your advice earlier. Thanks. :)

Thanks Ernie :rolleyes:

Dionna, CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy. It teaches you to change your thinking patterns so they are more positive. I'm amazed at how irrational my thinking can be when my POTS is bad; and slowly I'm learning to recognise the errors. I think you could just go to your GP and ask about it, or POTS doctor if you have one.

I went through my university as they have a team of therapists to help students out who suffer from stress. They say that Oxford is FULL of negative thinkers and perfectionists- it's an epidemic, so I'm not alone.

If you can get it, go for it!

P x x

The purpose of cognitive behavior therapy is to correct irrational thinking patterns that lead to emotional distress. For example, a person might ignore positive things and dwell on negative things, or overgeneralize a single bad thing into an all-consuming pattern. Learning not to think irrationally is probably quite helpful, in general.

However, some of the claims made for CBT are a bit overblown. For example, the research was done on mildly depressed "worried well" patients, but then some people claimed that it was beneficial for people with severe, biochemical depression. Also, there have been claims that CBT is beneficial for people with CFS. Again, the problem is that the research that showed some benefit from CBT for people with CFS included people who didn't really fit the rigorous definition for CFS.

My take on it is that CBT is very useful for people whose brain chemistry is fairly normal. I have known people with severe bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, and their thought processes were so disturbed that CBT would have been pointless, at least until their medication kicked in. If you have a severe form of depression, especially if other people in your family also have it, don't expect that CBT will enable you to rid your life of antidepressant medication. Also, if you have a physical illness, such as POTS or CFS, the CBT may help you achieve some sort of adjustment to the fact of your illness, but it won't make the illness go away.

In short, I think that CBT can be useful, but it is important to have realistic expectations for what it can achieve. I'm glad to hear that it has been beneficial to Persephone.

i'll second that :) , persephone. :):)

CBT has also helped me as a patient and has helped many of my patients when i was a counselor. i don't think anyone has said it was a cure all. & it's not anything that would hurt someone to try. therapy of any kind is always a challenge to grow from, if you're ready for it.

persephone, good for you for trying CBT, that is very brave, and for finding you're benefiting from it and sharing that with the forum. you have my continued support and admiration! :lol:

Thanks, Lulu. glad to hear it helped you, too. As is apparent, you'd not use CBT for someone with schizophrenia or bipolar, but it CAN be used in people with quite disturbed thought patterns- it's particularly good in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, for instance, and is making tremendous difference to me, as someone who was more than 'mildly depressed' or 'well worried'. I was on quite potent medication, and I *do* come from a family where depression exists on both sides, including bipolar (although I do not have bipolar). CBT HAS enabled me to 'rid my life of antidepressant medication'. It doesn't stop POTS- it wouls be preposterous to even imply it, but it minimises its IMPACT on me-and I think frame of mind is worth so much with a condition like this.

I've met some awesome people here, people who I have learned so much from, and who I think are an inspiration. But I've noticed that whenever I try and post about things which help me (like my excellent treatment earlier this summer) there seems a pretty poor response on here. Conversely, when I've felt really bad, I mean REALLY REALLY awful about things, it's been implied that that isn't welcome either. I sometimes wonder what I can do to win.

Why does this board incline towards the negative? It's almost as if some people don't want to hope they will get better, or be pleased for others who do get better. Maybe that is why people who get better stop posting here?

I have found therapy very helpful. I haven't tried CBT, but I did 7 years of talk therapy in my teens and early 20s, and it gave me some very useful skills for dealing with my life. I, too, have a strong family history of depression from both sides.

There have been a good many years since then when I was unwilling to acknowledge, even to myself, that I had gottern ANY benefit from therapy, because I thought that supported the theory that my problems were all psychological. I eventually learned not to mention my depression diagnosis to new doctors, because a lot of them saw that as the source of my problems and looked no further.

Where I ran into trouble was I spent many years expecting my work in therapy to fix my physical problems. Because I was still sick, I assumed I was doing something wrong or I wasn't trying hard enough. (A belief that was reinforced by some ... less than satisfactory therapists.)

I think that's where the realistic expectations become important. Therapy of any sort is not going to cure dysautonomia, but that doesn't change the fact that every source of strain or stress you can remove is to the good. Looking back through these posts, I think we're actually all pretty much on the same page in this thread.

Just my 2 cents.

Spike

Persephone, I am really glad you took this step and it has helped you.

We need to keep in mind that it's like everything else with us. What works for some is horrible for others. If we are open to the benefits it can provide, it can do amazing things. we just have to be ready for it, and you obviously were.

Of course you don't have schizophrenia or anything that is barely even helped by meds of any kind, so you would be greatly helped by this type of therapy.

We all tend to suffer from depression and mood disorders and cognitive therapy is great for these things. I have depression and dysthymia, and it helps me cope more than just about anything. it is a VALIDATING type of therapy.

It is so easy to fall into the why me, why again, why does this keep happening mode. My primary care talked to me the other day and said, you can take any human on this planet, then take away everything from them. Their health, their sexuality, their coping skills, their ability to work and function, make them home bound,lose the ability to drive, reason clearly, even the ability to do their own ADLS, and then tell them they shouldn't be depressed and and moody???? The most balanced human on this earth would struggle as we all do.

It's what we do about it that matters. For some of us, who have always been so independent and stubborn, this lesson can be much harder to learn. But once we take that step, even though the road is still long and we still suffer, it just somehow is a little easier.

If this helps you, then you go girl!!!! No one can take that away from you. It's true, it's not going to take away your illness, but it sure can make it a lot easier to cope with it!!! And that's what matters!

I find it hard to believe anyone with these horrible illnesses can think they can cope with them all on their own, without therapy. For those that can't get it I am horrified. For those that can, please do. We all reach a point where we say, I can't do this anymore, then we are ready and open to pulling off old scabs, so to speak, and letting emotional healing in. Also remember, this is a disease that has a direct effect on our emotional lability, so all the more reason to learn coping mechanisms.

I wish the best for you pers, and hope you just get better and better, both physically and emotionally! morganzilla :)

I'm not familiar with CBT -- is it different than regular therapy? I've been working with a therapist (psychologist) for about a year now, and it has made a big difference. There are times when I feel OK and I almost feel like I no longer need the therapy, but then something always comes up! :) It's a comfort to have an impartial person to talk to, who understands and whose job it is to listen. I agree with Morgan -- I can't imagine dealing with this condition w/o therapy. Pers, I'm glad you've found something that's helping you.

CBT really helped my husband a few years ago. It was prior to his official diagnosis and things were just not improving, he was frustrated and depressed and just kept running in circles trying to figure out what was wrong with him and what might help. He does still take medication but his ability to cope with the symptoms of this illness has improved. He would tell you that it was the first positive step towards managing this disorder.

I'm glad it is making you stronger!

I am a big believer in all types of therapy that HELP and we are like snowflakes..what' helps one, may not help another.

I second Morgan's post, Persephone.

I am THRILLED it has helped you so much and gotten you off antidepressants.

I swear I can see a difference in your SPIRIT in recent posts.

I am sorry you had all those weeks in a Scotland hospital but it seems to have led you to some tools for better coping.

Brava!

Hey Sophia, it was the best thing that could have happened! And what is all this about "eating food off your plate as you post?" you mustnhave an even bigger appetite than I do :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the kind words- this postproves in microcosm that out of something bad can come something good- one negative response but ten positives.

Hooray! :)

Persephone

I don't have that good of an appetite...I just thought it was a stupid thing to have as a signature.

:P:P

Course, I did take hormones for several months and gained 20 lbs (15 woulda been ok)

:):rolleyes::P

So, I guess my sweet tooth got a little out of control once a month, LOL!

Glad to see you doing better.

Sophia

OMG- I thought I was the only one gaining weight on progestrone- I've gained 32lbs in 2 months. I am MORTIFIED! How did you surb your appetite? Did it return to normal when youstopped the drugs?

Well, I stopped taking the progesterone over a month ago and have NOT dropped one pound which is REALLY unusual..as my appetite HAS slowed down....but I also have started catching lots of B/P spikes while STANDING!

You would think with tachycardia and BP all over the joint, my metabolism would be fast?!

But persephone, I am no longer making up chocolate chip cookie dough, and putting the balled up cookies in the freezer! LOL. It made it easy to make just a tray or two of cookies at a time. But I also found myself eating the halfway thawed out dough. I NEVER used to do THAT until the hormones.

So, I am blaming the Prometrium.

Then again, I am 49 when hormones are running amok.

I also just joined the YMCA ( a workout facility down the hill at the bottom of our street) They gave me a HUGE, massive discount thru their low income program.

So hopefully, I will lose about 10 lbs. But don't you think having that extra fat and blood vessels would help the blood volume issue!?

Wrong. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

:D