Gatorade Continued

mrach

Not to make enemies on here but...I personally care a lot more about functioning day-to-day than any weight I would gain due to Gatorade. I drink it when I'm thirsty, but I also drink plenty of water and take supplements.

I've only had POTS for about 2 years, but I already feel better. I find it helps me increase my activity level so that would probably counteract any weight gain (I think someone already said that). Let's try to lift each other up and be more positive!

Many of us are on SSRIs and/or florinef that already cause weight gain. Speaking personally, the weight gain I experienced from the meds was very much of a blow to my self esteem at the a time I phyically felt the worst I'd ever felt in my life...pretty depressing time but I accepted the weight gain from the meds as I agree feeling better was my priority. I now drink less gatorade because I don't think it works as well for me as smart water and tomato juice or V8..I think the small can of tomato juice has so much sodium in a small concentrated shot of liquid that it is almost like an IV for me.

Not to make enemies on here but...I personally care a lot more about functioning day-to-day than any weight I would gain due to Gatorade. I drink it when I'm thirsty, but I also drink plenty of water and take supplements.

I've only had POTS for about 2 years, but I already feel better. I find it helps me increase my activity level so that would probably counteract any weight gain (I think someone already said that). Let's try to lift each other up and be more positive!

Hey!

We jsut started getting and using Recharge..we get it form our health food store though Whole foods carries it. It is much better than Gatorade for me though I still dilute it a bit.

Here is about it on the website:

http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/deta...p;productID=245

"Whether you're an athlete in training or a mom in transit, your daily routine saps vital minerals and fluids from your body. Recharge was the first all-natural sports drink on the market. Now, Orange, Lemon, Grape, and Tropical are also available in convenient 16-oz. plastic bottles.

Each 8 oz. serving of R.W. Knudsen Family's? Recharge provides pure, filtered water to keep you hydrated, flavorful fruit juice to encourage gulping, and sea salt ? to replace the crucial electrolytes lost during exercise. It's the natural solution for today's athlete."

My Doctor of Tradtional Chinese Medicine reccomended it to me and we both love it! Hope this helps!

It was recommended that I drink Gatorade when I had my tilt test, but I can't drink that stuff, or soda, lemonade, etc. It's too sweet and makes me gag. I used to love sugar so much that I could skip the meal and go straight for desert, but now I literally can't stand anything sweet. My husband buys foods that he thinks aren't too sweet for me, but one bite and have to throw it out. When I put a small bag of m&m's in the freezer it takes me a year to finish it. My taste buds changed big time.

I do drink alot of bottled water, eat salty foods, and limit my intake of high potassium foods potatoes and broccli. I drink occasional milk and black coffee in moderation.

My BP flucuates from high to low, so I'm concerned about increasing my salt intake. It was 135/96 last night and a few hours earlier it was 94/66. How in the world can it flucuate like that?

sorry for the thread drift.

My son drinks two propel's per day, he adds a 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt to each bottle and shakes, then drinks one first thing in the am and the other later in the day. He will drink additional ones if need for work outs or sports. He is tired of gatorade. This is a supplement to all the water he drinks plus heavy salting of food.

Bill

Thanks for the recipe, lthomas.

I have two questions. Do you use distilled water as a base, or R/O, or does it matter? Is there a physiologic reason for the sugar or might one use stevia (hubbie has sugar problems)?

Thanks again.

The sugar supposedly helps you absorb the salt. If that is the reason, then stevia wouldn't do the trick. I think that stevia is probably good for people with type 2 diabetes, although there needs to be more research on that.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

If your husband has problems with sugar, he might consider trying the vegan diet, which outperformed the American Diabetes Association's regular diet in a head-to-head clinical trial involving people with type 2 diabetes. I went on it for several weeks after this study's results were first announced. I lost a few pounds and felt great. My husband lost some weight, too.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/repri...ourcetype=HWCIT

I have a water filter that supposedly removes the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) from our tap water. There was a gas station in our town whose underground gasoline tanks leaked into our water supply. Two of the people on my street have had leukemia, which is linked to benzene in the water, although I don't know whether those cases have anything to do with the darn gas station. Of course, much of the time I forget to use the filter. We have a reverse osmosis filter from when we used to keep tropical fish. However, I don't think that filtering the minerals out of your water would help.

Someone mentioned phenylalanine, because of the warning on products containing aspartame. Phenylalanine is a naturally occurring amino acid. Some people are born without the enzyme that you need in order to break down phenylalanine. Years ago, before this disorder (phenylketonuria) was discovered, people with the disorder became profoundly mentally retarded because they couldn't break down the high amounts of phenylalanine in normal foods, including breast milk. (That's what happened to Pearl S. Buck's daughter.) After the nature of the disorder was discovered, it became routine to test children for this disorder at birth. Infants with the disorder were then maintained on a restrictive, low-phenylalanine diet (no breast milk!), thus preventing the brain damage. Unless you have phenylketonuria, you don't need to worry about phenylalanine.