Swelling on the back of the leg

Hi Guys!

I've noticed that when I stand up the back of my leg swells on the underside of the knee (the leg pit?...LOL!) I know that's not the "official name", but it is the place on your leg that is like your arm pit. Anyhow, if you guys can make sense of what I'm talking about, I'd be interested in hearing if any of you have it too.

Michelle

I may as well be more specific, I have the pain in my groin, down the inside of my thigh, behind the knee, in the calf, in my ankle, and in my big toe. It's only on the inside of my legs and feet though. The swelling is in my thighs, and behind my right knee. I haven't seen or felt it anywhere else, but that's just as of today!

Isn't it ODD how the symptoms keep coming? I used to only have the pain in my big toe and behind my knees. The swelling is fairly new. I'm afraid to ask, but I wonder if it means the nerves are worse. I know the pooling is worse. I wrote about two months ago that I didn't see any pooling. Now I not only see it but I feel it when it happens. It's the strangest sensation. At least there is a warning so that I can get my legs up. :)

Putting my legs up is the only way I've found to relieve it. I started back on the midodrine, and it has helped to prevent the pain most of the time. Has anyone found anything else that helps with the pain?

Michelle, I have the back of knee swelling and some times pain. A year ago it got really bad in one leg and i saw my dr. who said the pain was a ruptured baker's cyst which I have never had before. He did ultra sounds on both legs to be sure it wasn't blood clots and they were negative.

A few months ago I started having the pain again in BOTH back of knees and going down my calves and up the back of my thighs. Only on the back of my legs but the pain definitely originated at the back of knees. My dr. didn't know the cause but after several weeks of this, a pharmacist suggested I take magnesium and like magic the pain went away, however I still have the back of knee swelling.

• 1 month later...

"I want to bring this topic up again". I have been having pain in the back of my right knee for a few weeks now. I have also noted some swelling there an also to the side of my knee. The best way I can describe it is the muscle behind my knee feels like it is too short when I bend it, there is quiet a bit of pain. If my leg is just relaxed it doesn't hurt. I also have the nonresting leg feeling down both lower legs but I was wondering if anyone has this type of pain behind there knee? I am on neurotin which helps the lower leg discomforts.

Paige

The swelling I get occurs only while standing, and it doesn't hurt. I've noticed that I also have a varicose vein where it swells (my first one...I wanted to cry!) I think it is just part of the whole pooling blood thing, but I'm going to bring it up to my doctor at my next visit just to be sure.

Michelle

I've had it for nearly 2 years now myself. I find that cold water in a baggie(no ice) and then wrapping the swollen area helps. When we get up and move around there are certain areas that are prone to pooling edema. That is areas that can't get rid of extra fluid at a normal pace and it creates "puffy" and sometimes tender areas. :)

I don't know, but I guess part of my problem is that I haven't layed flat or on my stomach for years. I have several areas in both legs that give my trouble. As I said before cold water and wraps are what work best for me. Ice or a bag of frozen veges work good too, but I find it a little to painful.

As to taking Mag. that's up to you, it upsets my stomach if I take to much.

Good Luck, Blackwolf

Hi Michelle,

The first time I saw the swelling on the back of my 'knee pit' area I was shocked!! It didn't hurt but my first thought was that my weight was out of control and I was in denial....I couldn't believe it. (I think it is the blood pooling.)

I haven't noticed it when I wear my compression hose but now that you mention it, I am going to start looking closer!

Karen /'Lorrell'