First Month On Beta Blocker

DSM3KIDZ

For all of you who tried Beta Blockers did it make you feel like your condition was getting worse? I'm on BB (metoprolol) for migrianes and it seems to be helping with that but I feel so down (emotionally) for no reason and VERY VERY lazy. Not tired but I feel like everything is too much for me to handle. Even the simple things which wasn't a problem before BB. Basically my stamina is very low.

I know BB can cause depression but it's helping so much with my migraines i don't want to stop but at the same time I can't live like a zombie either.

Do some cause depression/exhaustion and some don't? I'm only on 25mg and she wanted me on 50 which would probally kill me.

Would someone have the same effects if they try Toprol since it's the same? I figured maybe the extended release would help me somehow.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

dayna

Dayna, although betas are betas, some do have less side effects for one person than another. There are many of them out there.

For instance, I don't tolerate Inderal at all, but do okay on a small dose of atenolol, side effect wise, and they are both betas. So you might tell your doctor that you want to stay on a beta, just not this one.

You just have to shop around sometimes. I totally understand what you are describing side effect wise.......my hubby takes atenolol for his migraines and my son takes topamax. Neither would quit them for anything!!!!! But neither has any side effects from them either.....

Good luck...morgan

hi dayna,

inderal....5 mg/ 5 x /24 hours.....is only one that i can tolerate so far.

small doses..spread over 24 hrs>>>..is my answer.

so far, cannot tolerate the ssri's....so am doing fair with inderal beta blocker.

lopressor--was the worse!!!!!--for me and causing depression and oh soooo eerie thoughts--was horrible! :)

best of luck on your decision....(((hugs)))!!!!!

maggee

Well I had my doctor follow up and she told me to give BB one more month to see if the side effects taper off. Has anyone ever had success with side effects tapering off after a few months on BB?

I wanted to at least try another one even like Toprol because I don't want to get all depressed which I'm having major mood swings and 0 desire to do anything. But she said which I don't think is true that they all basically have the same side effect so I'm going to feel the same on all of them.

So anyone ever adjust to them ? I'm really trying to give this my all and hang in there because it's helping with my migrianes.

Dayna

dayna,

me again :P

metaprolol is same as lopressor[read my former post.]....... :)

,and is same as toprol xl-but toprol xl is extended release form of lopressor.

i agree with morgan-that not all beta blockers are created equal!

some beta blockers are deemed 'selective'.others deemed 'nonselective'.....and i do not know what that means.

do know meteprolol is selective..inderal is nonselective.and i'm doin ok w/ inderal.

hope this helps in some way,hun!

Maggee

I had the exact opposite side effect as you had!! I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't stop moving, was extremely angry, irritable, moody and basicly evil emobodied!!!

I was on Toprol XL for the longest two weeks of my life. I won't ever take it again-----you can't make me. Oh, wait, sorry, it was just that paranoia coming out again. (Yes, it really did make me paranoid!!)

I'm not really on speaking terms with my Cardiologists PA right now, so apparently, I won't be getting a new BB anytime soon. Bummer, too, because even with all the side effects, I did FEEL better physically.

Good luck finding one that works for you!

Bec

Thanks guys. I'm just hoping the side effects wear off since it's helping the migraines. I just upped my Wellbutrin to see if they counteract eachother since wellbutrin helps with depression and energy.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Maggee- Thanks for your imput. Right now my doctor is a****** and is not working with me so this is the only script she will write for me until next month.

Rebecca- sorry to hear about your experience. I've turned into a real ****** since taking this drug. I hope you find something soon that helps you. It's a good sign that BB made you feel alittle better physically because than maybe when you find a new doc it will just be a matter of finding the right one.

Dayna

DAYNA,

learned one thing the hard way-after 54 d***** years==='those who b*****>>>>>>>-get served..'.......///sad to report.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

call that a****** doc.and tell her u want to try inderal...or whatever.....else......

but metaprolanol made me such a b****** and irritable.and again-such horrible depression...almost suicidal!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>.and eerieeeee thoughts.it was something i never went thru b4..>>>>>>>>and been thru some bad med reactions.........omgosh!!!!!!!

go for it g/f.......!!!!!!!!!!!

we got nothing to lose but our lives..and more of ourselves!!!!!!

it should be no skin off her butt-what beta blocker u try......

again-i take inderal.5 mg//5 x/in 24 hour period.low doses, on reg schedule--

**********reg schedule important w/beta blockers.

so-25-30 mg in 24 hours-however u want to cut it up...

i now doing 10 mg morns-as morns worse tachy....and then 5 mg increments rest of the 24 hour period..perhaps-4-6 hours apart-or 8 at most.

assertive has not been in my vocabulary.b4.but is now!!!!!! :)

try????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>to go-for-it, hun!!!!!!!!!!

good luck-let me know if u do-and pm me re:inderal.if you got q's.........or anything.

am here.....(((hugs))))))

maggee

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with meds. my doc even told me that all Beta blockers are not the same and react differently for different people. No idea why your doc is resisting the concept.

I had a similar problem with several antidepresants as they declared me anxious/depressed 3 antidepresants Zoloft, lexapro and effexor and all of them made me feel exactly as you described depressed and no desire to do anyting at all I considered it a grand accomplishment to go to work. I used the word zombie even to describe it. I eventually told my doc that i would never take another antidepresant again ever. My doctor still talks about that day and mostly remembers that i really did not like effexor, the last antidepresant.

We have to remember that most of the folks with POTS have dysautonomia of some kind to some degree. The alpha and beta are the receptors that the autonomic dysfunction is probably based around for most (the thing the beta blocker is affecting). Thus anyting that affects them will affect you for good or bad. Since doctors are not too good at figuring out exactly what the dysfunction is, it is a crap shoot as to what will help exactly or which med in the class will help. ****, I have mild dysautonomia and my doc said it may take a few to see which would work for me. I start that process a week from today.

Goodluck,

Dave

I've been taking atenol for a week now- just started off a 1/2 pill. DH says I was def. meaner the first few days, but it seems like that's worn off and all I am is fatigued CONSTANTLY. All I am focusing on all day right now is how quickly I can take my next nap. :( It's way worse then normal- before, I would want to do things, and I had to be careful about not overloading, but I could, with some planning, manage my day well. Now I don't even want to do anything. I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and the idea of having to go after work to find a card and bag for the present just sounds like waaay too much work when I just want to sleep!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been too long and I gave my best shot but holy crap am I depressed from Metoprolol. I know a few people have this side effect and I was hoping I wouldn't be one of them. I'm going to try inderal Monday from suggestions of another potsie. What are the chances I'll still be depressed on that one?

I know it's the meds because I feel less depressed at night when the med is wearing off......but in the morning I'm a crying babbling baby (I take it at night)

I NEVER had depression before this illness now everytime a med has that as a side effect I get hit and hit hard (wanting to die and give in to the fight)

So I'll update you but if you have any experience with Betas and depression let me know if you found one that worked.

Thanks EVERYONE!!!!!!

Dayna

Hi Dayna-

I'm Mack's mom from GP site. I'm sorry to see you here, too. I've been on beta blockers a few times and I've alse felt really tired and experienced a lack of ambition while on them. They do squelch horrible tachy episodes, but I don't like how they make me feel. I keeo them on hand, in a low dose, for when episodes hit. In the meantime, I avoid all caffeine, eat healthily and exercise. That seems to work as well as beta blockers for me w/o the exhaustion.

Hugs-

julie

For all of you who tried Beta Blockers did it make you feel like your condition was getting worse? I'm on BB (metoprolol) for migrianes and it seems to be helping with that but I feel so down (emotionally) for no reason and VERY VERY lazy. Not tired but I feel like everything is too much for me to handle. Even the simple things which wasn't a problem before BB. Basically my stamina is very low.

I know BB can cause depression but it's helping so much with my migraines i don't want to stop but at the same time I can't live like a zombie either.

Do some cause depression/exhaustion and some don't? I'm only on 25mg and she wanted me on 50 which would probally kill me.

Would someone have the same effects if they try Toprol since it's the same? I figured maybe the extended release would help me somehow.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

dayna