Exercise Bike

Hi everyone!

For people who use an exercise bike, I know that when I'm vertical, I get symptomatic. Add to that, being vertical, and moving my legs up and and down (to pedal), and it's a recipe for blood pooling in my legs. That means I would get symptomatic even quicker by pedaling a stationary bike.

What kind of pedaling do you do? Are you vertical? Are you recumbant? How is it going?

I use a recumbent--I've been soo naughty and haven't used it in months :( But, when I have, it's pretty easy for me--I have a hard time with the upright bike. I used to have one, but sold it at a yard sale a few years back.

Nina

I started out on a pedal exerciser - it is not even a bike and you can pedal lying on the floor or sitting. Now I graduated to a recumbent bike. I can do a regular bike too, but the recumbent is a lot easier. I used to wear compression hose while riding to help with the pooling, but I think pedaling and contracting leg muscles gets the blood circulating in my legs.

Thanks, Rita.

What I really want right now is a pedal exerciser like you mentioned. I don't really have the room for a recumbent bike and I thought an exerciser like you described would work very well for me.

I hope they are easy to find.

I purchased my pedal exerciser from QVC. They have it on their homepage today for less than $33.00.

If you go to igive.com you can shop there and donate to DINET. I have to say I love mine, but I get very fatigued for days after. I have trouble pacing myself. I use it for arms and legs.

Do you get the same results with a pedal exerciser as you would with the recumbent bike???

Recumbent is better if you have symptoms on an upright. Wearing even mild compression socks (up to as low as the knee 20-30) can help with blood return while exercising(personal and professional experience) Usually when doing cardiovascular exercise the muscle pump and increased cardiac output will help the blood not to pool, even on an upright bike. Make sure when you do exercise to cool down for 5-10 minutes(lighter aerobic activity) then immediately lie down or sit with your legs elevated.

Take it very slowly, even if you can only do 2 minutes at first try to increase by a minute every day until you get up to 20-30 minutes at 55-70% of your max heart rate (and for people with POTS that 60 or 70 percent can come quickly). Before I had a little relapse in April I had worked my way up to 35 minutes at 145-155 BPM well off what I used to do but I felt good for 6 months doing that. Getting off of the bike was always trickier than getting on but your body adapts with time.

As an exercise physiologist I have researched and researched for ways to try to make exercise more comfortable for me with this ordeal. Its such a hit or miss thing and what works for some may not work for others. Good luck with your exercise and just try to take it slow and listen to your body.

Bqsu4,

I feel blessed having a response from you (an exercise physiologist). It sounds from your response and from others on this forum that exercising with a bicycle really does help us with our symptoms.

And I'm willing to try but I didn't know if I should go the route of the actual recumbant bike as it takes up much room which I don't really have, but.... if it could help me, I'll buy it and do it.

Right now, I'm doing thigh and leg exercises using leg weights with an exercise routine I read on this forum. I didn't know if I was doing enough. Bicycle riding has been mentioned many times. Obviously, there is an aerobic component to using a bicycle that using weights (the way I do them) doesn't have.

But I do aerobic activity by walking 3 times a week or more for 35 minutes, so, I'll think more about whether to invest the money and space in an exercise bike. Decisions?! Decisions?!