Another Intro

anjuu

Hey everyone.

I was diagnosed with POTS last year. I am 22 (although I feel 80 sometimes). I have read through some posts, and figured I throw a few more questions out there.

I am currently working, and trying to stay involved. I feel like I may have it easy compared to the other cases I've browsed through. My symptoms are extremely varied, and my episodes seem unprovoked (although they seem to occur in an undetermined cycle).

I was curious if extreme moodiness is common? I am coming 'off' of an episode, and I feel like my whole train of thought has completely changed (or maybe gone back to normal?)

It seems with each episode, a 'new' symptom develops. I am attributing this intense moodiness to the lack of oxygen thing associated with PTS? I've never been one to suffer from PMS, but during my episodes, it's like persistent PMS...Furious one second, calm and collected in another split second. I think that's the most debilitating part thus far. I can cope with the physical problems, but the mental ones are starting to destroy the fragile social network.

Seems like my memory is heading on its way out, too.

I do not take medications, but I try to do the 'eating right' thing. I have found that Gatorade and crackers have been staples in my diet that make me feel a little better. Since being diagnosed, I have noticed I have progressively become weaker, and have been shedding a few pounds as I progress (regress).

My PTS symptoms usually last 2 weeks-2 months. Included are the common lighehadedness, dizziness, nausea (ESPECIALLY after eating), loss of appetite, shortness of breath, imbalance, etc. The only visual disturbances I have noticed are tunnel vision, and high contrast vision. The high contrast vision is like a reverse of blurred...Objects that I look at become sharp in focus, almost to the point where they are only recognizable as a colourful shape.

Anyways, I think you all know what I'm talking about. I think they only real-time person who has been truly able to relate is a coworker who was diagnosed schizophrenic/bipolar. Everyone else recognizes the physical symptoms, but I don't think they are aware/accepting of the mental ones. Little help, Please?

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for letting me rant. Glad to meet y'all.

-a

Welcome to the forum!! you will find that alot of your questions can be answered here. Sorry that ou have to deal with this condtion.If you are having spells of crabiness,It could be the nature of the illness and how your body reacts to it.I do not get crabby.I do not have the energy before,during or after an episode. I di however expirience extreme anger @ times and discovered that I had Hypoglycemia.That WILL make you crazy!!! I suggest getting a blood draw done on a regular basis as to find the parts of your body that is causing problems.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

Cindy

Welcome.

I've had trouble with depression for years. It's worse than fatigue because I don't want to do anything. The mood swings are mostly hormonal so it was called PMS.

When I was diagnosed with POTS, my doctor told me that anti-depressants with SSRI inhibitors (such as prozac) actually help with the POTS, because they even out the chemicals in your brain. Since the POTS diagnosis, I have had little trouble with depression. I don't know if it is coincidence, relief at being able to name the problem, or a little more help from the other meds I'm taking now.

It's quite possible that your mood swings are POTS. See what your doctor has to say.

Hi and welcome,

I find that I to have moods. I think it depends on what kind of day I'm having. Here latley I just want cry and screem and tell everyone around me that I'm sick of the lack of understanding ect....

Your not alone, hope you can find comfort here as I have,

Best wishes,

Amber

Thanks, everyone. I had spoken with my doctor, unfortunately BEFORE I started noticing the moodiness. Sometimes I feel like a real **** calling my doctor everytime I have a 'new' symptom. The last time we spoke, she said my symptoms sounded like depression. I looked up the actual symptoms of depression, and found that mine did not coincide. Sure I felt fatigued, but I had more of an interest in my hobbies than I had for a while. Didn't feel suicidal, no aches or pains, didn't feel emotionally void.

That's why I figured I'd give this forum a shot. 900+ members might have a little more experience than one doctor...

BTW, my full name is Angelique, and I usually go by Angel, or Anjuu in this case. Call me what you'd like, I'd respond the same.

Thanks again, all!

When differentiating between depression and a physical illness, those with physical illness still have many hopes and dreams and high motivation to get back to their "normal" life--whereas those who are quite clinically depressed usually have lost hope and motivation to do the activities of normal living.

To complicate matters, those with chronic illness often do go through clinical depression at least once while they adjust to the life changes that happen as a result of their disorder--and some struggle with both depression and physical illness for the long haul.

Nina

Hi anjuu,

I have problems with moodiness especially before my period. The symptoms seem to have worsened since I got sick. I have noticed some moodiness at other times too. Who wouldn't be a little moody when debilitating symptoms come and go without warning!? If you think this is more than just adjusting to illness and hormones, you might want to get a second opinion-- especially if this is affecting your social network/everyday life.

Another thing that really helps me is regular low-intensity exercise. I try to do 15-30 minutes of walking as I'm able, and that tends to smooth out the peaks and valleys, emotionally speaking. Not a cure, it but makes it more bearable. I also pray a lot for help!! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Kristen

PS- listening to uplifting music also helps when i'm moody

Well, it's good to get so many different answers. I do excercise...I am fortunate enough to still be able to walk to work (about 1.5 blocks), my job occupies 3 floors and I am constantly up and down, and I also ride a moped (in order to start it, I have to pedal/push it). As mentioned before, I get POTS episodes that will last for weeks/months, although I may experience a few symptoms on a day to day basis. In return, I am usually episode free for months before it hits me.

As far as PMS being involved, I've actually had the moodiness start prior to one period, and not go away until well after the second period. So I'm pretty sure it's not PMS.

I have no major symptoms currently, but I'm so angry one second, and literally, the next I'm calm and euphoric. My perception of people and events is directly related to what I'm feeling at any given moment. So sometimes I become furious with my coworkers for no rational reason, then the next I am totally cool with them.

I was tested for Thyroid disorder, Adrenal disorder, and cholesterol. All were negative. I am attributing what I've been feeling to the POTS, but have not heard of people having such hardcore mood swings. Meh. I suppose it is possible.

Such is life. I love my job, and I love my mopeds. I'll risk the discomfort for these things.