Cardiologist?

ellepee

Just wondering how many of you see cardiologists and wondering if you found it beneficial?

I've been noticing my pulse rate has been extremely low in the evening and I've started experiencing palpitations and often feel pressure breathing. I seem to just have such strong cardiac awareness lately and it's a very uncomfortable feeling. I've had contradicting advice from my doctors- one who thinks I should see a cardio while another says these symptoms are normal for people with diseases of the autonomic nervous system.

I have gone ahead and made an appointment with a cardiolosist but as I know most of my symptoms are neurological, I'm just kind of wondering if anybody has positive things to say about cardiologists in regards to POTS and am wondering what I should expect or if anyone has any advice of particular questions I should ask.

Thanks,

Elle

This is a tough one in my opinion. I don't find that my cardiologist is real helpful as far as knowing enough about POTS, even though I go to a heart center. I just think it is a lot of trial and error for symptoms. The complicated part is having negative reaction to many meds.

On the other hand, I have had numerous tests and monitors to make sure that there wasn't something else going on. I do see him every 3-6 months depending on symptoms. I think it is important as part of the picture and he stays in touch with my primary care physician regarding suggestions. Just my thoughts, then again, I am still learning ---------

Hi,

I see both a cardio and neuro. The cardiologist has helped me out the most out of the two, so I would recommend seeing a cardio if you can find a good one.

As for the palpitations/tachy I still get all that whenever I go to stand up...I am on a BB and Midodrine, but since I can't take the Midodrine laying down that doesn't help me once I get up from naps, but it does help otherwise.

Goodluck with whichever doctor you decide to see! :rolleyes:

Jacquie

My cardio is the doctor who has helped me the most He is not an expert in auto disorders but he knows what he does not know he ordered the TTT for me and referred me to Vanderbilt I do not have POTS but PAF so no heart problem I see him every 2-3 months At vanderbilt I was told that cardiologists are frequetly the doctor who treat auto patients because they understand blood pressure perhaps better than other doctors. He also is the one who manages my care with other doctors ike the hemologists, and the pcp. Hope you find a good one.

While it's not necessarily an issue of having problems with the heart itself, I would expect to be under a cardiologist's care for the remainder of my POTSy days. A cardiologist diagnosed me, and a cardiologist is treating me currently. I also feel that enough of the testing I've had done are in the cardio's office, it seems inevitable to end up there at some point. True that there are plenty of cardiologists out there who are clueless about POTS, there are just as many neurologists clueless about actually treating it, as well.

I get what you mean about the neurological symptoms, and those shouldn't be ignored by putting all your eggs in one basket at a cardio's office, but if you're having symptoms from tachycardia, I personally couldn't imagine NOT being able to rely on my cardio... of course, that's a specific POTS-approved cardiologist, not your run-of-the-mill doctor, too, so I'm sure that's a huge part of it!

It might also depend on what your POTS is caused by as to whom you ought to see for it...

Good luck!!

I have almost always seen EP doctors as I have a pacer, But I was DX by a ep doctor, I think if you find the right one you can receive good treatment.

POTS is a disorder of the nervous system, but the primary symptoms relate to cardiac functions (i.e. HR and BP) I have seen several different cardios and neuros during the time I've been sick, and I will say that as a rule, the cardios seemed to know more about the condition than the neuros. At least they were all familiar with POTS and the basic treatments, whereas the neuros didn't know much, other than Dr. Low and one other autonomic neurologist I saw (who were experts and knew more than the cardios).

But the best thing is to find someone who treats lots of POTS patients - someone reccomended by another POTS patient or listed on the DINET list - whether they are a neuro or a cardio. These are the people that would be the most helpful.