Weird Heart Rates

Hi,

I posted a day or two ago that my heartrate has been in the 50's since I've been on Midodrine. I stopped taking my Toprol since my heartrate was soo low. So today, I took the Midodrine, then I walked from my car to my house and my heart rate went way up. It's hot out today so that may have played a role in it.

I've also noticed that when I am sitting my heartrate goes to 50 then when I stand up it goes up to 80 plus. Is this a normal effect of the Midodrine?? I sometimes feel dizzy when I am sitting for long periods of time, esp since I started the Midodrine...I called my cardio and he's supposed to get back to me today ( I talked to his secretary).

Anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks,

Jacquie

So, I just talked to my cardio and he said he wants me to go off the Toprol, which I haven't even been on in a few days. He said to take the Midodrine a half hour or so before I get out of bed, that way when I get up it is working. He said my heartrate isn't high because my heart isn't working as hard to get blood to all the places, since my bp is up.

I see him in July for a BP check, and he also mentioned that he got the results back from my neuro from the research study. Atleast he can see how messed up I am on paper! :o

Jacquie

HI! I have just got back from a trip and stay at the Hospital here in N.C. I just went in for the same symptoms. Before strting coreg and digitek for arrythmias and tachy's I was all out of wack. Then for the past 6 mos I have been feeling a lot better. Tuesday Am I tried to get up and drive my husband to work but he could'ne wake me up. I thought I was just extremely tired. 3 hours later I made my way to the kitcken stumbiling and managed to take my pulse. After walking and standing there my pulse was still 54. I felt like I was dying. Shaky, I felt like I was melting to the floor. I sat down and retook my vitals.. At 2 min my pulse was 40 and my BP was 70/54. We wwent to the Er and they said my med combination was too strong and now I have to restart everything slowly. Once they got me up to 60 beats per minute and my BP in the 100's they let me go. The nurses were really worried all night and kept readjusting my leads on my monitor because they thought it was the machine. The moral to the story.. I got to start taking a moment to listen to my body especially if things just do not feel right. The week before I noticed a big change in my heartrate while working out, I couldn't get the beats over 120 no matter how hard I tried. I would push a little more and get out of breath and light headed but my heart monitor was still showing 112-117 after 20 minutes of intense work out. I had called the doc, got a nurse and all she said was that my meds were doing what they were suppose to. What the had did was reach toxic levels. Good luck to everyone

Oh my goodness Pam, I am glad you are okay now, but what a scare!

Jacquie

Hi,

I would watch for a possible rebound effect from stopping the beta. Not to scare you but just so you are not totally caught off guard. I don't know how long you have been on the Toprol either. I've had that happen and it can last a few days before your body gets back to normal. Keep up the fluids too. Hopefully the midodrine will balance that out.

Since I started taking potassium-at least I think it is from that- my heartrate sits in the 70's sometimes 60's. I get nervous about taking my betablocker for fear it will get even lower, but I don't want to stop either for the days it does go back up.

I hope this keeps working for you. :)

I also take Toprol and notice a change if I miss a dose the same day. Talk to your cardiologist before you think about stopping it. Does your cardiologist prescribe the midodrine?

Hi,

My cardio said it should be fine to be off of it, because I had gone down to 1/2 a tablet a day. I have to see him in July, so I'm going to see how things are going. I do notice that I have been getting mild headaches coming back....I think the Toprol was helping avoid those.......