Allergies And Pots

mom4cem

Hi,

Does anyone that has seasonal or year round allergies notice that it makes their symptoms worse? I am finding that my chest is tight and I can not breathe through my nose at all. The goosebumps and chills re constant and the sweating at night. I have to take a singulair to feel some releif with the chest and that can only be taken once a day so by the time 12 or so hours goes by it is starting to come back. I've been told I do not have true asthma though they say I could just be hypersensitive to the allergens and it causes some inflammation.Hmm, hypersensitve why did I not think of that..lol.

Like in my previous post, lately my heartrate has been in the 70s sitting.(for about a week 1/2). Getting up it shoots to about 105. If my heartrate happens to be higher say, 80's or low 90's it shoots to 120's standing. No b/p drop though.

I hate to take the beta blocker because then when it kicks in and I am sitting it feels too slow and it is so blunted that any little adrenaline that kicks in from excitement or watching a movie it causes a palpitation. Trading off one for another really stinks. But if I don't take the beta blocker who knows what will happen next. No happy medium. :angry:

Wishing you all a great day. It is beautiful here in NY.

Hey I definitely have an increase in symptoms right around now..I cannot breathe through my nose at all also or it feeels like it is full of something and my throat is definitely reacting from it..I am awfully tired as I am sure it is because my body is erleasing constant histamine..

No systemic drugs for me..the epi..makes me crazy.

Take care..hope you find some relief..Belinda

I do, but Doc A said you have to control everything else before you can really start seeing results for the Dysautonomia. So I'm on 2 types of allergy meds and an asthma med. Singulair for day and zyrtec for night.

You sould talk to your doc about getting on some allergy meds.

Dear mom4cem,

I have POTS and allergies. There are others on this list who have both, and we have had this discussion before. Dr. Grubb once told me that anyone with POTS who has allergies needs those allergies under good control year round.

Preventative treatment of allergies is better than getting the symptoms and then taking a pill or using a rescue inhaler. If may take you a while, and you may need the help of an allergist, but it is possible to figure out your allergies and take preventative care to prevent having symptoms.

I just went out and pruned a hedge. I am taking my summer base meds (claritin every a.m.; pulmacort 2 x day; nasacort 2 x day; rhinocort 2x day; singulair at night). Before pruning I took a benedryl on top of the base meds. This afternoon I will also take a mucinex as an add on.

My base meds change as the seasons do, but I change the base meds a month before I know I will need them.

My currrent program is the result of 10 years with the same allergist and trial and error over the seasons.

I urge everyone with POTS and allergies to be constantly working on perfecting their own preventative program.

And here's another reason to work with an allergist. They know the allergy meds better than any other kind of doctor. If you have POTS, you will not want to take allergy meds (and there are several) that cause tacycardia and arrythmias. An allergist knows which meds do this and which ones do not.

Yet another reason for a yearly visit with an allergist is that new meds come out all the time and you can go and find out if there is anything new that may be better for your situation.

Asthma is particualrly tricky with POTS, because if you have asthma, many of the treatments aim to dialate the vessels and many POTS patients need to constrict them So taking a beta blocker that is a vasoconstrictor may help POTS but will worsen asthma. And asthma meds may help the asthma but worsen POTS. This may be a fine line to walk, but it can be walked with the help of a top rate allergist.

My seasonal (fall) allergies are worsening, but I don't know if it has anything to do with POTS. I do know that if I don't take a steroidal nasal spray and Allegra, I WILL get a sinus infection. And then, my POTS makes that very intense (constant arrythmias due to fever, etc.)

Amy

MMMmm..good point Michigan Jan I also quote that I was told the same thing by Grubb..as I am having a horrible time but like you said not all of us can take the antihistamines..I will be seeing an allergist pretty quickly..I am having a bugger of a time.

Thank you for reinforcing this into my brain :blink::blink: I only take sinucleanse and nasonex which aren't doing justice :(

Belinda