Driving Question

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this. It is that time of the month, and I am in the midst of a flare up. Sometimes I have problems driving. I have actually called an ambulance while sitting in the left turn lane before. Things have been under control until this past week. I was driving on the freeway when suddenly the back of my head felt so heavy. Things started to spin and I was scared I was going to black out. It was a sensation that I have never felt before. It only lasted about a minute. Has this happened to anyone else? It was so unlike other times I have felt like fainting.

It seems as though lately I have been having flare ups at the worst times. I was on the highway driving to see my sisters new apartment and I thought I was going to pass out...Ppl wonder why I am soo anxious, if I could find some treatment that works to get rid of my symptoms, I wouldnt be soo nervous!

well the only driving I did was when i was taking one oon one driving lession w/ a driving instructor.. and i actually had to stop ddriving just before I went tot ake my road test b/c I'd get so dizzy driving.. that i didnt feel safe on the road.. and i while i ABSOLUTELY LOVED to drive such a feeling of independence!

it made me very symptomatic b/c of the level of stimulation that you have while driving.. and the being alert... i couldnt do it..then i lost the use of moving my neck and arm.. no driving for me!

and then my doc a few yrs later I wanted to reapply for my permit.. my doc will not allow me to drive... but i am passer outer.. so.. I choose in part to not drive.. and my doc wont let me...

But yes i expereince what you felt all the time.. its scary at times.. but passes.. I hope that you feel better soon... is it possible for somebody to be with you when you drive? so they can take over if you get to symptomatic???

please be careful!!!

I have had presyncopal episodes when driving, that really scared me. They started a couple years ago and were infrequent, but I would stop pull over and literally called my husband one time to speak with him on cell phone to try to help me stay calm. Def. was not anxiety attack. I have also had him come get me before. I now have not driven for a year, as not stable enough currently. My syptoms were not quite the same, felt all the reg. presyncopal symptoms.

In regards to your comment about relation to menses, I have gone through menapause at an early age and the odd thing is, I thought a lot of my symptoms developed then.

Guest sonotech

I know how scary that was for you. I have dealt with the SAME EXACT symptoms you described when driving and also when just sitting down relaxing and watching tv. So, I too know it is not anxiety related.

I USED to have those episodes DAILY (at least 5 or more time a day) and it has now lessened. I found out (for me anyway) that when I don't get enough sleep they seem to get worse. Since I have stopped working and stay at home most of the time, I don't get them very often at all.

I had a doctor a few years ago (when the symptoms were at their worst) tell me that he thought it could be some kind of seizure (which would make sense that lack of sleep would make them worse). I took seizure meds for a while which helped A LITTLE but truly getting more rest and not doing so much has been the only real help.

Anyway, don't know if I helped you much, but I would certainly mention this episode to you doc and maybe keep a diary of your days events when you have them.

Good luck.

That's a pretty scary sensation you described. Although I've had the same symptoms you had, it was never while driving (thank goodness). I can't say for sure what brings them on for me, but there seems to be some sort of internal gauge I listen too, that tells me whether or not I should attempt to drive on any given day. Does that make sense?

I would sure hate to think that I might be putting myself, my loved ones or anyone else in harms way should I get an "attack" like that while driving. The thought of not being able to drive (although it's maybe once every 3-4 days these days) is harsh. I'd hate to lose that independance.

Wish there was something more I could tell you......... Just be careful and ask your doctors.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I had gotten over my fear of driving until last week. I had my 18 mo old daughter in the car and now am scared to drive her alone. I appreciate your support.

I dont have your symptoms , but if I get stressed in the car I sweat and sweat and then have a rather nasty angina attack , which leaves me in the car waiting for an ambulance to come to my assistance ( had this three times now ) so I have to at all times 'stay calm' which as you know is not an easy thing to do with some of the stupid drivers that are on our roads now a days.

But I do have other not so good problems with driving which I am finding upsetting .

Now when the sun goes down and the lights come on, be it street or car headlights , since 2002 I just cannot see more than 5-6 yards in front of me let alone the edge of the road or oncoming cars.

I do not have problems with my eye sight, I just wear glasses to read with ( old age) and my distance is 20-20 if not better than this according to the doctors.

But since my last flare up I just cannot see at night , this applies if I'm walking out as well.

Very strange and quite frightening at times, especially if the sun goes down before you think it will :angry: .

The experiences that people are describing might be part of a migraine aura. You don't necessarily get a headache afterward. You may or may not have visual disturbances.

I'm fortunate that I can go nearly car free. I found a job that is on the bus line near my house. I walk a block, sit down at the bus stop, ride the bus, and get off right at the building where I work. If I have to work late, I can walk two blocks, take the train, and then walk a little over half a mile home. (I guess I could call my spouse and ask for a ride from the train station). Sometimes I can't really tolerate that much exercise and I'm bedridden on the weekends.