Potassium

Hi all,

I was just wondering what some of the reasons your doctor would prescribe potassium?

When I was 13 one of my doctors had wanted me to take it, but I'm not sure why?

I had major sugery and needed 2 blood transfusions and also my heart rate was messed up but I'm not sure if it was too high which is the case now, or two low? I didn't take it for very long, and forgot that I even did untill this past year. I've never mentioned to my Cardio that I had taken potassium at 13 and I'm thinking maybe I should have said something about it.

If you take or have taken potassium, what did your doctor prescribe it for?

Thanks for any info,

Amber

Guest CyberPixie

Potassium is something everyone needs and our modern diets often don't give us enough. In a healthy person they may get away with it though it can contribute to heart attacks if they don't have enough, which is why when someone has a heart attack they check potassium levels. If you have too much potassium it can also cause heart attacks (which is why a Doctor should prescribe any suppliments and can keep an eye on your levels).

In POTS we can be deficiencent (sp?) in it (not sure why).

The best way to get more potassium is by upping your fresh fruit and veg (especially bananas, apricots, beans) Milk, Jacket potatos with the skins and orange juice. There's plenty of places online that gives you guides to ho wmuch potassium is in a certain food.

A severe loss of potassium can cause breathing problems, weakness, muscle spasms, heart rate problems and other things. You may find upping your potassium helps your POTS symptoms. It did mine.

Some drugs can deplete potassium such as steroids and florinef which is why you may need to be prescribed suppliments.

Potassium also works in conjunction with other essentials such as magnesium and salt. And the balance between them all must be right.

Hope this helps.

Mr dr. just prescribed it the other day. I was in for a follow up and he did bloodwork and they told me it came back low normal so he wanted me to go on for 30 days. I did have a high stress morning, had to go for mammo. was nervous and my high rate must have been up in the 115-120range if not more at times for quite a while so I am guessing it was from that.

All previous bloods my potassium has been around the 4.1 mark. Not to say that it just might going down for another reason but I think it was quickly depleted from the stress. ;)

Thanks everyone,

I have blood work done all the time so I hope my doctor will know if I need it, but I will mention that I had to take it at one point. Thanks again,

Amber

I have had low potassium levels, I think around 3, in the past. I haven't had it checked for a long time but would guess it would be low again. I try to eat K+-rich foods but just seem to go through a lot of this substance, for whatever reason. I have read here that it's the first mineral your body goes to when it's under stress.

Amy

Amber, keep in mind that sometimes doctors will look at lab values and if they are just a little off, will inerpret them as "normal"

It seems a great deal of us Potsies run low normal to lower potassiums. A doctor might look at a person with a 3.3 and think nothing of it, but it may make a great deal of difference in how we feel. Make sure you discuss this with him. "normal" is 3.5-5.5. If mine is even in the normal range, but low normal, or drops, I get sick. Just something to keep in mind. morgan

Hey, Amber

I've had low Potassium levels for years, and when I was in the hospital two years ago my doc prescribed it for me. I'm allergic to bananas and a few other potassium-rich foods, so I have to use a supplement. Even with the supplement we've never been able to get my Potassium levels where they need to be, so eventually I had to start getting it in IV form, which makes it easier for my body to process.

My doc told me the reason a lot of us are low in Potassium and other nutrients is because our bodies can't process the nutrients out of food - it's one of the reasons we need so much liquid and get dehydrated so easily.

Good luck! Just make sure you talk to a doctor about it, or just use a very modest amount!