Some Go To Disney World.....

Okay.....so it seems that my body has decided that whenever I go out of town, it's supposed to visit and tour the local hospital. This is NOT my idea of fun or relaxing.

I do not understand why traveling takes so much out of my body and sets me back so much. Except....I will also say that the last three times this has happened to me, I was also starting my period and having horrible hormone issues.

I'll write more later about the follow up I had this week with Vanderbilt's Autonomic Clinic. We were supposed to leave friday to drive back home but....my body decided to go all whacky on me. My heart was beating really weird and it woke me up. I had to flop and plop around to get it to stop and when I did I ended up with bad chest pain. This was a different feeling than I've ever had before.

Couldn't reach the autonomic Dr's so I went to the ER and spent the day there. Once in the ER they were able to reach the Autonomic Dr's so at least I had their input and support in the situation but it was still a scary day.

Anyhow, first labs showed some abnormal cardiac enzyme levels and while it is disconcerting, it appears I did not have a heart attack nor am I about to have one (based on the fact that my enzyme levels did not elevate any higher hours after the first test). Eventually they released me but I'm not feeling well, exhausted and my ride is not able to take me back tomorrow. Saturday I will hang out at the hotel by myself and Sunday my ride will return in attempts to try to get me home on Sunday.

I'm anxious about traveling back because I feel rotten and I'm afraid I will feel even worse traveling again. It's a nasty cycle too because I'm usually NOT fighting anxiety but right now I am and I know that will only make it more likely that I will get symptomatic. I've been on the phone a lot this afternoon which actually turned out well because it kept my mind off of traveling and the anxiety (so to those of you I spoke with today THANK YOU because even though you may not have realized it, you were helping me stay focused on other things and thus keeping my anxiety level down). Hey, anyone want to chat while I'm stuck in a car tomorrow? hehehe

I'm also thinking about calling a friend and asking if she will come stay with me tomorrow night once I'm home. Maybe it sounds silly....I just think I might relax and re-adjust if I have some company to help settle me back in.

THanks for letting me vent!

Poohbear,

Sorry to hear about all the problems. I hope you get feeling better soon! I hope your friend can stay with you it alway nice to have support! B)

Amy

Hey there,

It's hard to not get anxious about this whole illness..I hate being left alone....ever. Just the thought of staying overnight somewhere gets me anxious. Do you have a book or something you could read for a little while. Also, sometimes when I am alone I leave the tv on, for some reason it seems to help and I usuallly end up falling asleep. B)

Jacquie

Guest tearose

Are you feeling better today?

I know what you mean about feeling more symptoms when traveling.

I was so surprised to learn that I burn up more potassium when I travel or expend more energy and that is even more reason to drink electrolytes in my water. I had chest pain and low potassium after expending a lot of energy and my doctor clearly knew I was hydrated.

When the pcp had me begin supplementing magnesium I was maintaining better potassium levels. And more importantly, I felt amazing differences.

Hey, why don't you start writing a POTS guide to ER's since you have been to so many all over the place! B)

hope you get better soon!

tea

Hi Pooh,

Hope you are doing better today. I love going on vacation but also dread it. I map out the Hospitals just in case...sad..I know..lol.

Over the past year I have become more anxious about traveling, just the not knowing if an episode will flare. The everyday stuff I can handle on a trip, but the episodes..not good when you are in the car, stuck in traffic, out at a restaurant, far from home. At least at home I feel safe. BUT, we all try not to let this stop us from doing things we enjoy and that keeps us going I think.

Hope you ride back goes well......Let us know!